“Genuine Southern Hospitality”
Review of The Helmstead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Homerville
The Helmstead
Ranked #1 of 2 Homerville B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Our recent trip to Georgia for a quick getaway brought us to The Helmstead. This lovely old brick home has been turned into a delightful bed and breakfast. We were greeted by Ms. Jane Helms, our gracious hostess and now a friend. Jane made sure that we had everything we needed for our stay in Homerville, making calls locally to ease our plans for the day and giving directions for places to see and people with which to speak. Breakfasts were wonderful, not only the meal, expertly prepared by Mary, but the conversation with other guests lead by Ms. Jane.
Jerome Riley, the property manager saw to it that we were comfortably settled into you our room. He skillfully keeps the swimming pool sparkling and the grounds pristine looking.
Your stay at The Helmstead gives you access to a fitness club a few blocks away.
While in the area, visit the antique shops such as Nance’s Antiques, The Antique Market, and a brand new antiques and collectibles on the corner of 84 and 441. The conversations with the owners will be as interesting as the aged patina on the antiques they sell. For a few eclectic gift items visit Ellie Kats.
To say the least we would highly recommend The Helmstead, we are anticipating our next trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2009

We visited the Helmstead because of a funeral this weekend. We were pleasantly surprised by Ms. Jane. She was at our service for any needs we could have had. Jerome and Ms. Mary were awesome. We were treated like family and enjoyed our stay tremendously. The home was clean, shower pressure was great, bed was comfy...No complaints here. If we ever have to stay in Homerville again, it will be with Ms. Jane.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2009

From the moment that I arrived and Jerome took my luggage to my attractive room until I departed the next morning after a beautifully presented full breakfast cooked by Mary, my stay was outstanding. The Helmstead B & B is an attactive two story home, filled with antiques. The bed rooms upstairs are attractively furnished and have private bathrooms. The location is nicely landscaped and maintained and includes a gazebo and pool. The owner Jane Helms was very gracious. I will go back again when I am doing research at the Huxford Genealogical Library, located in Homerville.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I stayed in the Helmstead while I was visiting south Georgia and north Florida out of interest in the local culture and and landscape. This B and B is a good experience of being in the home of a local. It was very comfortable and they made me feel at home in their home. It is a lovely place with a great feeling. If you like B and Bs you will enjoy staying here. It is a total experience much richer than yet another motel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I was there during the Christmas Holidays. The owner was very friendly and seemed to know everything about the area. Her manager(Jerome) had done a fantasic job of decorating for Christmas. It reminded me of my home when I was a child. The room I was assigned was immaculate and the atomosphere was very peaceful and relaxing. Her housekeeper and chef(Mary) cooked a marvelous Sourthern breakfast every morning with home made biscuits.

W

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2008

The Helmstead is a wonderful place with a marvelous owner, careful service, and attentive but unobtrusive staff. This was our second stay and we plan to visit again. Most relaxing, charming town, and the wonders of the Okeefenokee right next door. Owner Jane Helms knows seemingly everyone in SE Georgia and even arranged our canoe rentals for us to tour the Okefenokee. My wife wants to buy the place!

• Stayed: January 2004, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wduck3

Been to The Helmstead? Share your experiences!