“Comfortable, but Compromised”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hiram
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hiram
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stumbled across this hotel while on business recently and decided to give this property my business. Check In was prompt and easy and I was given the AAA discount when I inquired about discounted rates. Clerk was friendly, but did not let me know about in house amenities such as Wi-Fi password and lobby computer access. I did get a King for the same price as double queen and rate was less than I expected for a newer property with little competition in the area. Room was spacious and clean, but desk lamp and corner lamp were not functional. When I brought this fact to the attention of the front desk, I was informed that there was no Engineer on duty and I would have to wait until one could attend to these matters. I suggested that they could swap out the lamps with those in an unused room and they agreed to this solution and within 15 minutes I had both lamps replaced with working ones.

For a high end property, I was surprised that there was no refrigerator in the room. I had food with me and no way to keep it cool. There was a large flatscreen HD TV in the room and the bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice.

Therefore, I'm giving this property a better than average grade, but with more hands-on management, this could be a first-rate property.

Oh, and they offer 10 percent discounts at area restaurants... I did take advantage of this benefit... See my review of Las Palmas Restaurant...

Morning breakfast was OK, but fresh fruit was obviously frozen and no biscuits and gravy, which in this part of the country is disappointing...

Give this place a try as it has much promise... Just needs better management...

Tichiganblues

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and comfortable... No refrigerator...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hiram

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Positives:
Patricia, Carol and Elizabeth were fantastic. The room my daughter and I stayed in was cleaned thoroughly as requested due to cat and dog allergies. The pool and Jacuzzi were vey clean. The rooms are nicely decorated and the beds are comfortable. Breakfast was also enjoyed by our entire party. Good selection and food quality is rather above par.

Not so positive:
Upon making mine and my father's reservations, we requested room net to each other. This request was made to both the Club Carlson and hotel representatives. We arrived to find out there were no double queens next to each other, hence they put me right below my dad in room 102. Once my daughter and I settled into our room I decided to check to see if the windows were locked since the room was rather cool. Sure enough, one of the windows had both locks unlocked. Room 102 is adjacent to an exterior door that is frequently used...when shut it sound like a vault door, emitting a huge "boom" when it closes. I got no sleep that night.

The second night they moved me next to my dad but at around 10pm my room filled with the smell of cigarette smell. The stench was so strong it made my stomach churn and eyes burn. Elizabeth and another lady came up to investigate. We could not definitively determine where the smell was coming from but closing the door to my bathroom helped (we think the smoke came thru the vent from the 3rd floor where smoking is permitted). Elizabeth brought up air freshener and asked if I'd like to move, but I did not want to move back to the first floor away from my father.

Monday morning I spoke to the manager about these and another issue. After a lengthy discussion she accommodated my requests for compensation and we stayed until Tuesday morning.

Bar the above noted problems, the hotel is reasonable priced and in a good location.

Room Tip: If you are smoke adverse stay on 1st floor. If you are a light sleeper do not sleep next to exterio...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
cx_hira, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hiram, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear 'travelfamily1421:
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience with us! We apprecaite you mentioning some of the items you enjoyed during your stay including our staff, the room, and aminites of the hotel! Regarding your note about not being able to be in room next to your father- we truly apologize and can relate as to why this would be frustrating to you! It must have been miscommunicated on our end as our front desk staff did not see any requests regarding the location of your room. And because both reservations were under different last names we did not think to put the two rooms closer and we apologize regarding this issue. We have shared your feedback with our Front Desk staff and will resolve immediately so that in the future--this type of issues can be avoided for our future guests! We would like to personally invite you to come and stay with us once again whenever your travels bring you back to Hiram GA so that we can take better care of you! We want out guests to be well satisfied with their stay so please accept our apolgies for the concerns you had during this stay.
We appreciate you much indeed and look forward to your next stay-thank you once again for your visit!

Warmest regards,
The Country Inn & Suites Hiram GA

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've stayed at hundreds of hotels over the years and can't think of any stay better than this one. It was clean. The staff was very courteous, conscientious, and professional. The breakfast was good. I didn't try the pool but others were using it. My room didn't have a desk or table when I checked in and three different people said they would take care of it immediately and it was done quickly. I was told they were upgrading furniture. There was 24 hour coffee and cookies in the lobby. We stayed there three days visiting relatives and told them how nice it was and we'll be staying there again in the future. I saw people with pets and they have some smoking rooms. It looks like a place that should satisfy anyone. Probably the only negative I can think of is the access off of 6/Jimmy Lee Smith Parkway is a bit tricky.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
cx_hira, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hiram, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear ‘bicar’: Thank you very much for taking the time to write this lovely review! We are elated that you were well-satisfied with your room and our Guest Services.We are in the process of major renovations and have had to wait for a few furniture pieces to deliver. You are welcome to stay with us anytime and we hope that will be returning someday soon!

Best wishes and many thanks,
The Country Inn & Suites Team

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed in a suite. Bed were hard and poor wifi. Asked to use breakfast area during the evening so we could visit family and let kids open a few Christmas gifts we were told sure for a $160 charge. What made this outragous was the fact this was not a conference room nor was I hosting a party yet later that night it was opened for other guest to use free of charge. Front desk was rude unhelpful and eating instead of welcoming guests.

1  Thank craimey79

Dear ‘Craimey79’: Thank you for taking the time to write your review and of course, for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Hiram, GA! The reason the Front Desk staff mentioned renting the breakfast room area is because anytime a guest is going to have a birthday or any sort of party where there will be 10 or more people (which is what we were told your party would have) we can not allow kids in pool specifically until the pool and breakfast room is rented as we do offer birthday party package. This policy is in place because our hotel does have a lot of people that request this package. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. To discuss your stay and this incident further, please contact the hotel directly and ask our Management Team. Please know that we share in your concern and do deeply value your feedback. Many thanks and our sincerest apologies.

Country Inn & Suites Hiram

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here earlier this month. We were in town for a football tournament. We had a 4 hour gap between games and wanted to go check in for my youngest child to nap. Once we arrived we were told there was a $25 early check in fee which I have never encountered at any other hotel. I can understand if the rooms weren't ready but they were ready and they would let you go to your room for extra money. Not cool in my opinion.

The room was just ok. We were in the ground floor and the window was actually open when we arrived which I didn't notice until a car pulled up outside and we heard people talking. The carpet was coming up at the door when you first entered the room. The shower rod was barely hanging in the wall with a screw. The light cover in the bathroom was cracked and a piece broken off.

The hotel did upgrade to flat screen TVs but they don't fit in the armoires that are in the room. The tv is now sitting in top if the armoire and if your laying in bed you have to wave the remote high in the air to change the channel.

The breakfast was good. Plenty of variety. They had make your own omlets.

The indoor pool and jacuzzi were very warm and the kids certainly enjoyed the pool.

Hotel is very convenient to everything. Not sure if we would stay here again or not. The problems with the room could have been just this one room.

• Stayed: December 2013
cx_hira, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hiram, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear ‘ata1976’:
Thank you for staying with us and sharing this review! Your feedback is vital to us. Please allow us an opportunity to speak with you about the issues that you have reported, here in your public review. At times we have guests that try to check in as early as 5am that is why the $25 early check in fee is in place; however, we are deeply sorry that this was something that caused an issue at check in. I had a meeting with my staff regarding this concern and we are working towards coming up with a different policy to accommodate our guests.

Our hotel is going through major renovations which is why the flat screen TVs were in place but not the proper furniture as we were waiting on brand new furniture delivery! Our hotel now has all flat screen TVs as well as new furniture in all of the guest rooms. As far as carpet--that is our next goal to replace.

Thank You again for bringing this to our attention and we hope we have the pleasure of having you back at our hotel when your travels bring to the Hiram area.

Best Wishes,
Country Inn & Suites Hiram GA

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Clean rooms besides slight smoke odor. (we got a non-smoking room) WiFi barely worked AT ALL. Trash truck came to empty their dumspter at 1:00AM which woke us up. The walls were so thin we could hear word for word conversations in the next room. Nice indoor pool/jacuzzi and friendly staff was the only redeeming thing about this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
cx_hira, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hiram, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear ‘Jade S’: Thank you for staying with us and sharing this review! Your feedback is vital to us. Please allow us an opportunity to speak with you about the issues that you have reported, here in your public review. Our waste company was contacted regarding this and we will do everything we can to make sure this does not occur again in the future as the pick up time 6 A:M. Also the wireless connection is being looked at to see why this caused trouble during your stay. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. At your earliest convenience, please do contact the Hotel and ask to speak with our General Manager or any member of our Management Team, as your satisfaction is our highest priority!

Our warmest wishes to you,
The Country Inn & Suites Hiram GA

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were going to be in town for our nephew's wedding and didn't know where we should stay but ended up picking this one and it was a WINNER!! Nice breakfast each morning and very helpful staff. The room was done up nicely at the end of each day. If we were ever in the area again, we would definitely stay there again!! Easy to get to and a very central location to shopping and other amenities! Thanks to everyone there!!

Room Tip: We had a king bed that was amazing!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear ‘Yoshi531’: Thank you very much for taking the time to write this lovely review! We are elated that you were well-satisfied with your room, our hot breakfast, and our Guest Services. You are welcome to stay with us anytime and we hope that will be someday soon!

Best wishes and many thanks,
The Team at the Country Inn & Suites Hiram GA

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiram
Sleep Inn & Suites Hiram
Best Western Hiram Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Powder Springs
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta West/Lithia Springs
La Quinta Inn & Suites Atlanta Douglasville
Hampton Inn & Suites ATL-Six Flags

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hiram? Share your experiences!