“Really?? Are you kidding me!?”
Review of Sylvania Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sylvania Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hiltonia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel has taken a turn for the worst. This hotel started out as a Days Inn, which they still advertise on their website, and it is no longer. It is now called Sylvania Inn. The owners clearly have no interest in keeping this hotel up to Days Inn standards. The hotel is located near a ditch with overgrown trees and bushes and grass, so prepare yourself for alot of invaders (bugs). Once checked in, we checked out the rooms and noticed the lid on the toilet tank was too small, exposing the floating ball in the tank, and a severe case of MILDEW! We brought it to the owners attention and he quickly whisked it away (into a vacant room) and brought us theirs. Quick Fix huh!! We had a travel vacuum with us (for previous reasons) and what started out as a quick clean up, ended up being heavy duty. There was old fries and pills and all sorts of debris in the room. That is unacceptable especially when traveling with a child. Even though the cleaning staff had their cleaning carts, they weren't using them very well or the vacuums are clogged. I'll pass on housekeeping! No need to rate the pool because it looked as if they freshly covered it up. Unlike the website, it no longer exist. Im sure they didn't keep up with that anyway!
To make a long story short, unless you are fully equipped with cleaning materials, or used to these kind of conditions, I seriously recommend you to continue up the road to Statesboro and stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel needs help from Anthony of "Hotel Impossible" . This hotel has so much potential to thrive successfully in this small town of Sylvania...yet it lacks the attention by the hotel owners themselves. As the pictures show it used to be owned or managed by Days Inn but has now come under another owner. This hotel needs true renovations...not a paint over or bandaid. We stayed in a three bed deluxe room. How can a hotel owner be content with offering this big room that has clear problems ...such as broken dresser, a bath tub faucet that at first ran while the shower was on(even when pulling on the shower lever to run only ).I think that could've been fixed. We managed 2 nights here but would pick a hotel in statesboro next time we visit unless the owner hits the jackpot and bring this small town hotel or motel back to life. The town itself could probably benefit. Don't let the pictures fool you because it isn't and won't be what you see. The owner should put up what they actually offer.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KanDb_29
sylvaniainn, Webmaster at Sylvania Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m terribly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations in some ways. We take real pride in this hotel and believe that pride shows in everything we do. I’m disappointed that we could not satisfy you, and I hope you will try us again in the future. We’re always working to make the guest experience better than ever before.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Sylvania Inn out of necessity one night. It looks like it was once a beautiful hotel that has fallen into a bit of disrepair. The good- The room was nice, large, and looked clean. The sheets were clean, the bed was very comfortable. The bad- The phone did not work. The fire alarm was hanging from the ceiling. There was no hot water. The bathroom was clean but looked old yet unfinished. The baseboards were unpainted, the tile had grout on it, the toilet was really old. The irritating- The fold out sofa had no sheets or blankets. I know they probably would have brought some for us if we could have called, but my cell was dead and the room phone was dead. I did not feel like walking all the way to the office in the middle of the night to get sheets, so we just used one off of the bed. The hotel was inexpensive and I would stay there again if I needed too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Until the past 2 years this was an excellent Motel. I am observing a decline of the facility/rooms. Doring my 22 Nov. in room 101, I observed the fire alarm unit and wireing hanging out of the ceiling. Toliet tissue had to held in hand because there was no spool to attach the roll to the wall unit. T the packs of sugar and powder cream no longer exist. We have stayed several times a year over past 20 years.

Room Tip: Up stairs corner rooms are larger and less noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob M
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stopped in for the night and was happy with the price. The room is clean and vey roomy. Bedspread needs to go as it has burn holes in it and is so 90's. Good selection on Tv, bed was comfortable. I will skip the breakfast and go next door to Mcdonalds. I would stay here again. Call hotel direct for best price. One hotel selling website had the price double what I paid.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed October 21, 2011

definitely one of the best motels I've stayed at. im typically used to staying at mariatts and crown plazas, but it was worth the 53 dollars, and it was the only decent looking motel around. they have a/c's in every room, the front desk was very friendly; especially Arlene. its located in a quiet town very few restaurants but its still a nice community.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank what a
Reviewed December 22, 2008

From the information that I received, this hotel is a newly-independent hotel that used to be part of a chain. When I saw it from the outside, I was impressed with the cleanliness and the crisp, new look that was displayed, almost like it was a newly build facility. Once inside, I discovered that it is not new but newly renovated, so it is in pretty good condition.

Check in was easy and efficient and a special room request was honored. The lobby is tiny, and it appears that the only service offered is coffee - there was no mention of any kind of continental breakfast. There is, however, a MacDonald's Restaurant at the end of the parking lot - a very quick walk.

The room was quite spacious. The heating/air conditioning worked well, the bed was comfortable with a very nice supply of pillows. There was a desk and chair, and a sitting chair, large television well supplied with channels, though I didn't watch any TV while I was there. There was an in-room safe, a little inconveniently placed but available, and there was a microwave and refrigerator.

Once in the bathroom area, I could see that this is not a new hotel. The entire unit had been recently painted and the furniture looked good, but some of the bathroom fixtures were worn and some did not fit well - there were gaps in the wall. There was mildew at the base of the shower curtain.

One notable problem is that there is no closet, so the clothes rack is placed near the sink, so near in fact that it is in the way if clothes are hanging on it. And it was a little rusted at the back. I would not recomment placing clothes on the top.

Also, there is no directory of services for the hotel - no little book that tells you about phone use or internet access, local eateries or attractions. Speaking of internet access, normally, that is one of the factors by which I rate a hotel but I was so busy this trip that I did not need to nor attempt to access the internet so I cannot report on it.

My overall impression is that this hotel is an older facility that has been reasonably well renovated, but with some older fixtures. But it appears that these people are trying to run a nice independent facility and, if external appearances count, it appeared to be the best place in town. If my schedule required another overnight stay in Sylvania itself, this would certainly be the place that I would choose.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Been to Sylvania Inn? Share your experiences!