“Great Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hiawassee B&B and Inns
Lilburn, Georgia
“Great Getaway”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had been wanting to visit Lake Chatuge area for some time, and I found Henson Cove on Living Social. Although I had reservations because of a prior experience w/ another B&B, the number of positive comments and ratings left me feeling good with this choice. First, the area with the lake and the mountains is absolutely beautiful. Dave and Mariah (the B&B owners) have tons of local contacts for just about anything, and they set up a canoe trip with NOGA (the local outfitter) for my wife and I. Even in a downpour, we had a great time. As for the B&B itself, it was very comfortable and relaxing, and they make you feel welcome. As mentioned in other reviews, the breakfasts are fantastic, and those chocolate covered strawberries are amazing. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a quick getaway. It's a "can't miss", and the Living Social deal makes it a no-brainer.

Room Tip: With Living Social, you have 2 options...Rainey's Hideaway or the Mountain View Room. I was a t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Smyrna, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I spent our 29th anniversary with these nice folks on June 28-30. Dave and Mariah were excellent hosts, have a lot of knowledge about the area and things to do and even made our dinner reservations for us at a restaurant in Hayesville. The room (Rainey's Hideaway) was very nice and comfortable and the breakfast each morning was hearty and tasty. The area itself is gorgeous and having a neat place to stay made it even better. We would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a B & B in North GA.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin T
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Be carefule. You should tip. They won't tell you to tip, but apparently you need to. If you don't they will call you several times and ask for you to pay "taxes" on your trip, after you have already paid in full for your reservation. After you pay those "taxes" they will send you a thank you card with whatever money you inadvertently left in your room. If I can I'll attach a picture. Overall, totally not worth it. Book a hotel, they will explain your expenses up front. They won't call you after you have left your vacation returened to your real life, and demand payments for things you had no idea you where obligated to pay for.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Belac46
Windycindi, Owner at Henson Cove Place B&B, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Oh my goodness, we had no idea this is the way you interpreted our correspondence. We apologize for any misunderstanding. We are sorry if you took offense. We do NOT ask for tips. Tipping is totally optional. We were only concerned about the taxes due on the stay. The voucher states that the price does NOT include taxes and are collected for your stay. Our confirmation letter mentions the tax monies owed upon checkout. We really appreciate you sending the tax money and wanted to reciprocate by sending your change back. The change in the thank you card was change due, not change found in the room. We will strive to be more attentive and less aggressive.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this little B&B for two nights and we felt right at home! Dave and Mariah are absolutely wonderful hosts and they make you feel so welcome. We stayed in the Mountain View room which has an amazing view of the mountains. Breakfasts were absolutely delicious and aren't your typical "hotel breakfasts". They definitely put some thought and creativity into what they serve their guests. The first night they invited us to join them around a bonfire, but sadly we were already asleep! We had such a wonderful experience and we will definitely come back during other seasons.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Windycindi, Owner at Henson Cove Place B&B, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for a wonderful review! We enjoyed your visit as well and hope to see you again real soon. Next time we'll do another campfire for your enjoyment.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 10, 2012

From the time we arrived until we left (sadly!!), all could NOT have gone better. Both Mariah and Dave treated us just like family. Restful, comfortable, and beautiful!! The food was excellant---while the companionship and knowledge of the area attractions was right on spot. We are already planing a return trip in the spring.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clint447
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Henson Cove. The owners are very friendly and helpful, and it's obvious they go out of their way to try and make their guests as comfortable as possible. After having just come in from dinner, we found chocolate covered strawberries in the room and they were just about the best I've ever had. Our room had a lovely view of the quaint porch and beyond it, a field with horses grazing. Very peaceful. I loved the wind chimes on the porch and the gentle music they made. The king size bed was very comfortable. I normally don't comment or notice much about towels and wash cloths, but I have to mention how wonderful, thick and soft their Pottery Barn towels were. After using them, I'm going to order some for myself!! Breakfast was delicious.

Two things to consider if you book the Mountain View room: it is directly outside a common living room area where residents can gather to watch TV. It has it's own private bathroom, but it is about 20 feet down the hall, and is not connected to the bedroom.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank gagirl909
Windycindi, Owner at Henson Cove Place B&B, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Such a nice review! We always try to clarify the fact that the Mountain View bathroom is just a few steps from the room. However, the bathroom is not 20 feet from the room. It is a larger bathroom with claw foot tub and needs the extra space.
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 2 night getaway with a recommendation to anyone needing a few days away to go to Henson Cove to relax and enjoy the hospitality and food.

After driving down a narrow country road, we entered Henson Cove B&B to be greeted by Mariah who showed us around and took us to our room, Rainey’s Hideaway. Within a few minutes, we felt as if Mariah was a long time friend as we did with Dave when we met him a short while later. It was easy to feel at home at Henson Cove.

Henson Cove is exactly as it appears in photos on their website: http://www.henson-cove-place.com/bb.htm.

Henson Cove is casual, rustic and extremely clean and neat with everything needed to make you comfortable so you enjoy your stay. They have a large library, a movie collection and free WiFi should you need those items.

Rainey’s Hideaway is above the dining area with a parking space and entrance through the dining area from the rear of the B&B. It was well appointed with a sitting area, a small flat panel TV for music or movies, a private bath with shower, and plush towels and robes. We never turned on the A/C during our stay, preferring to have the windows up for the cool breezes….the area was quiet and we slept with the windows up.

Breakfast was baked puffed pancakes with berries, bacon and eggs one day and fresh fruit, biscuits, and sausage and egg frittatas the next. The chocolate covered strawberries in the evening were as good as other reviewers claimed!

One previous reviewer stated he left breakfast feeling hungry. All I can say is he must have been a huge breakfast eater, since my wife and I (190 lbs- me, not her) not only enjoyed the breakfasts but did not feel the need for lunch and did not eat again until dinner time on both days!!!!

Mariah and Dave will make reservations for dinner if needed and provide maps and info on the surrounding area. Be sure to check out their website thoroughly as it provides a lot of information.

I could continue writing, but I think you now know that we had a very enjoyable stay, plan to return, and recommend Henson Cove. Mariah and Dave, thank you for a wonderful stay!!!

Room Tip: Rainey's Hideaway is isolated from the others and is very quiet....there are steps to climb, how...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank gangin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Lake Chatuge Lodge
#1 of 2 in Hayesville
Paradise Hills Resort & Spa
Paradise Hills Resort & Spa
#2 of 18 in Blairsville

Been to Henson Cove Place B&B? Share your experiences!