“If you want to explore the North GA/Western NC mountians, this is a good base of operations.”
Review of Lake Chatuge Lodge

Lake Chatuge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hiawassee
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Upon entering, you'll see a rustic, lodge-like lobby area with dozens of autographed photos of famous guests. A small common area is on the 2nd floor overlooking the 1st floor lobby. Both looked inviting and comfortable. There was a smell in the lobby similar to what you would find in a tropical fish store..not musty, really..sort of humid, I guess. I think the air conditioning system was not being used to full advantage here.

“Double bed” rooms actually have two queen size beds, not doubles. Beds are not particularly comfortable and I was glad to get home to my own bed.

The A/C unit in the room has a fully controllable keypad with digital temperature display, but was not turned on when we first entered the room. It took a some time to begin to cool the room. At first, I wasn't sure if it was working, but it started to cool after about 10-15 minutes. After that, it kept the room comfortable when it was 90+ degrees outside.

All the rooms have private balconies or patios. The ones on right rear of the lodge face east and provide the best view of Lake Chatuge. I got some fantastic sunrise photos from my balcony. The front of the lodge gets sunset views and overlooks the parking lot, US 76 and mountains.

Nicely supplied bathroom with coffeemaker, blow dryer, plenty of cups, shampoo, conditioner, and a half-empty bottle of lotion. Good lighting over the sink and the heat lamp in bathroom is nice during the winter, but there was no light over the toilet making it difficult to read while on the throne. An ironing board and iron are also supplied.

There is a 27” CRT TV with HBO and typical SD picture quality and basic cable channels with locals out of Atlanta. Free wireless internet on our 3rd floor room was approx 1.3mb/s download and the connection was solid. Ground level rooms have a patio with a key-card entrance door.

The cabinet drawers had an odor that transferred to our clothes. Again, this smell may have been due to the fact that the room air conditioner was off when we arrived. The smell disappeared after a few hours of airing (wearing) the clothing.

Breakfast consisted of six varieties of cold cereal, milk, bagels, english muffins, wheat bread, donuts, fruit danishes, juices, bananas, and, of course, coffee (which was quite good). The only hot item offered looked like grits..or oatmeal..or gruel; I couldn't tell which, but it was stiff, dry and unappealing.

There is a restaurant (Hiawasee Chop House) at the drive entrance to the lodge. We didn't have a chance to visit, though.

As noted by other Trip Advisors, contrary to the Ramada corporate website, there is no gym of fitness center, although there is a public beach and playground directly across US 76. But who cares? I'm not here for a workout!

Would I stay again? Probably not. I'm not an outdoorsman, so the hiking-boating-jetskiing-fishing-rafting thing does not appeal to me. If you want a base location for exploring the North Georgia Mountains and Western North Carolina, I think the Ramada, Lodge at Lake Chatuge is a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WilW
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Thank you for your thorough review and feedback of our facility.

We are currently making renovations and upgrades in our guest rooms, such as permanent microwaves and refrigerators in rooms, new bedding, flat panel TVs, etc. We hope to have all upgrades complete by the end of 2011.

We apologize that you did not get to use our fitness room during your stay. It is located on our first floor, should you ever get the chance to visit us again and would like to use it

Again, we appreciate your time in writing this review and hope to have you back in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

This hotel supplied a wonderful backdrop for our vacation with kids and grandchildren. The staff could not have been more accommodating. The views from our rooms were memorable. Everyone loved the breakfast bar and later in the day, we could play card games with the family in that area. We are planning our return trip with friends and neighbors. Can't wait to see the autumn leaves from the balcony. Best trip in a long time! The Chop House right next door should not be missed!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2010

Thank you for choosing Ramada, The Lodge on Lake Chatuge! We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our property! Our area has many activities and attractions for all members of the family throughout the year! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2010

This property gets some good marks; the sheets and shower were clean, the staff was very friendly and the location on the lake is good. However, the property is looking "shaggy" & needs a remodel. The carpets were dirty and the decor & color scheme looked very cluttered and dated. The breakfast bar was not set up well; was crowded and cramped. The coffee was weak and the food just OK. The lobby and outdoor patio should have been much nicer, since has a lake view, but was not inviting at all.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with Ramada, The Lodge on Lake Chatuge. We are in the process of updating the lodge and hope to have most renovations done within the next year, including new bedding and flat screen TVs in all rooms. We apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with our breakfast bar and we are working to make improvements. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to have you come back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed March 1, 2010

My family and I were able to escape Atlanta for a long weekend and just went up to the Lake Chatuge Lodge to explore Hiawassee. We had a lot of fun hiking and just driving around on the mountain roads stopping to take pictures along the way. The Lodge was fantastic. Our 4-year old loved the view of the lake from the balcony. We had a comfortable room with a jacuzzi tub. The staff was accommodating and the price was right.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2010

I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Ramada, The Lodge at Lake Chatuge. We are so convenient to Altanta, just a quick 2 hour drive, that we are the ideal spot for families wanting to get away from the "hustle & bustle" of the city. I hope you will come visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 28, 2010

I've never had a bad experience in a hotel opereated by Ramada, but I've come to expect basic no frills accomodations.

This place far exceded what I expected.

Rates were reasonable. Staff was friendly and accomdating. Check in and check out was a quick and painless process. Breakfast area was large and there was a better than average selection of food items. We were there for an informal 20 year college reunion, and there was a very large room with TV, comfortable sofas, fire place, etc.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments about Ramada, The Lodge at Lake Chatuge. Our goal is to not only meet every guest's expectations but to exceed them as well. I am glad that we were able to do that for you. I hope you will come visit us again soon. I would recommend brining your family up for the Fair in July!

Reviewed February 15, 2010

I happened up on this hotel on the internet and had nothing to go on except the reviews....we are so glad we chose this Ramada! The service was great, the rooms clean and cozy, the view fantastic! We were fairly snowed in for 2 days during out stay, so we were very please that we were in such a comfortable place! My only suggestion for the hotel would be to add some light to the room. It was very dark when trying to read at night. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone and plan to visit again!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Ramada, The Lodge at Lake Chatuge. We have had a lot of snow this year! It even snowed several inches again yesterday. I agree that the views from the private balconies for the rooms is fanastic! I hope you will come back in the summer to enjoy it then as well.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my older brother on a business trip in early October of '09 (last month, as of this writing).

My previous job involved a good bit of travel as factory field rep, so I've stayed in many different hotels. But this hotel was my first experience ever with being awakened by a LAWNMOWER RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR WINDOW!!!!!

With both my brother and God as my witnesses, this really did happen (at around mid-morning at 8:30-9 am or so--we got in very late the night before)! I awoke incensed, did breakfast, and then immediately found the manager on duty (Ms Katie Polstra). BTW: their morning lobby breakfast was nothing to write home about, either.

When I approached her about the basic idea behind staying at a hotel was actually getting some undisturbed sleep, she was dismissive and did not offer anything to win us back as repeat guests. One could easily tell that she knew the hotel would have steady clientele just because of its location overlooking the lake (i.e., Lake Chatuge), and she did not need our business!

When I went back to the room to try to catch a few more hours of shuteye, it was difficult to fall asleep then because it was too easy to hear room service cleaning the adjacent rooms.

The view out the back side of the hotel (and the lobby) is really nice, overlooking the lake. But I suggest you visit the lobby, enjoy the view, and then stay overnight somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank theauhawk
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Ramada, The Lodge at Lake Chatuge on Trip Advisor. I apologize that the landscape company woke you up mid-morning. Our landscape company comes once a week during the summer and 1-2 times per month in the colder months. Since speaking with you during your visit, I have addressed with the landscape company for them to come later in the day so they will not awaken guests in the morning. We hope you will give us another chance and again apologize for your inconvenience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Ridges Resort & Marina
Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Young Harris

Been to Lake Chatuge Lodge? Share your experiences!