“Great views”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hiawassee
Tallahassee, Florida
“Great views”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Had to take care of family business in Hayesville, N.C. Picked this place as it was close. We enjoyed everything (even in the winter) so much we booked it in March and met our son's family here. The grand children enjoyed it as well. The breakfast was fine. Plenty of choices. Loved the fireplace in lobby. Staff has always been friendly. I would recommend for a weekend trip. It is a great location to go to different areas for hiking ,boating and fishing.

Room Tip: Top floor! Great views. Love the mornings,!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Cruzinptgrl
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay here so much the first time that you came back again. We do offer lakeview that offer a great view looking over Lake Chatuge lodge from their private balconies. I will pass along your great comments to our staff. Please stop by the front desk during your next stay so that I can thank you personally.

Katie Stancil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
shanghai
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is a nice place with wonderful views. It has a good lobby seating area with comfortable chairs and coffee available to help yourself to.
The rooms are fairly basic but you go for the views. It was too cold to sit out and I must say that had I wanted to the very basic plastic chairs on our balcony would have been a real disappointment as when you drive up all the balconies facing the road/hills, have those nice wooden rocking chair type chairs.
Breakfast is really basic, it was the weekend so there was some scrambled egg. It's described as 'continental' I think that may mean different here than I would think it to be. Still fabulous views!

Room Tip: one facing the lake and in summer the higher floors as the trees would hide the view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank toniShanghai
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. Our lobby is a great place to sit and enjoy life. It offers lots of comfortable seating, a wood burning fireplace, and fresh coffee 24 hours a day. All of our rooms offer a private balcony with 2 chairs and a table. We do have a patio off of the lobby that offers views of the lake and a few wooden rocking chairs. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will stay here the next time you are in Hiawassee.

florida
Reviewed February 18, 2014

From the first step into the lobby everything was great. The desk person was very friendly and the room was clean as a hospital room. Our view was the best anyone could ask for. I was concerned about a chair in my room that was loose and they brought me another one immediately. The breakfast over the weekend was hot and tasted great. They had fresh coffee in the lobby at all times, the wood burning fireplace in the lobby was very nice to sit by. I look forward to staying here again, I was well pleased and anyone else would be too.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Lake are well worth it, view is breath taking
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our housekeeping staff tries very hard to make sure the rooms are clean. Our staff is always inviting and willing to help our guests with anything they need. I'm sorry to hear about your chair. I'm glad that you got a replacement quickly. Stuff wears out over time and thank you for bringing it to our attention. Please stop by the front desk the next time you are here so I can thank you personally.

Champions gate,Florida,USA
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Most romantic and relax place on earth,away from the regular routine of life,wonderful views,nice rooms ,staff was great and the breakfast the best ,small town near by with one of the grates and kind people ,grate price

1 Thank Jose P
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
I would like to thank you for your great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to meet you the next time you are up to say thank you again. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in our beautiful area.

Eatonton, Georgia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had a awesome view of the lake. The front desk attendant, Peggy was very friendly and accomodating. The morning clerk could take some lessons from her!
The woodburning fireplace in the lobby was very enjoyable with nice furnishings to curl up in and read a book or just relax.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor, lakeside. Beautiful view
1 Thank April T
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
I'm glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Lake Chatuge Lodge. Our upgraded lakeview rooms do offer spectacular views of Lake Chatuge from their balcony. All of our rooms offer a private balcony with 2 chairs and a table. Our front desk staff is always happy to assist a guest when needed. I will pass your comments along to them. Our lobby is a great place to read a book and listen to the wood burning in the fireplace. I hope that you will be back soon to read by the fire.

Katie Stancil.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed there just 1 night but I was impressed by the cleanliness of the room and the hotel.Staff was very friendly, the breakfast was good and it have many choices, the towels were soft, the bed sheets crisp white. No dust, no strands of hair in the bathroom.
The room was on the second floor and it had a fantastic view of lake Chatuge. A really enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a breathtaking view.
1 Thank Lastun
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
It sounds like you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you found everything to your liking. Our housekeeping staff tries very hard to make sure that all of our rooms are the same as you stated in your review. Our staff is always friendly and glad to give advice about good places to eat in the area, places to go, directions, etc. I look forward to personally thanking you during your next stay with us.

Fort Payne, Alabama
Reviewed October 28, 2013

As requested, I was given a room on the 3rd floor with a lake view. The room was very clean and the view was marvelous. I had called the lodge for my reservation because it didn’t appear there were provisions on their Web site for listing special preferences, such as the floor and view. I also didn’t want to clash with a Hog rally or other such event. If there were provisions for these tasks I guess I missed them.

The room was attractive (except for the chair eyesore listed later) and complete. . A microwave, fridge and sofa were included. The bed, however, didn’t agree with me. I couldn’t sleep with the extra-large pillows they provided. When I mentioned that problem to Maid Service she promptly provided me with standard sized replacement pillows. And then I had problems with the firmness of the bed. I couldn’t decide if the mattress was too firm or if I was having difficulty with a pillow-top. But this was no fault of the lodge, of course. Although cheap one-piece molded plastic chairs are used throughout the hotel porches, they serve their purpose.

There’s a sign at the Reception Desk stating guests will be charged a $250 fee if cigarette smoke is detected in the room. A similar notice provided in the room listed the penalty as only $150. So, if you’re caught smoking in a room, take the room offer. It’s a better deal. :))

The evening fire was nice and the breakfast buffet was appreciated. Although the buffet was very basic, I couldn’t complain. I don’t think it should be the obligation of any hotel to provide guests with free breakfasts. I find it ironic that some guests complain about inadequate breakfasts at some hotels while they don’t criticize other hotels that offer no breakfast at all.

In summary, I have one major suggestion for improvement. There was a wooden desk and chair in the room. It was immediately obvious that the two components were not a perfect match. The arms of the chair were too high to clear the desk. Consequently it was not possible to slide the chair arms under the table. As a result the chair protruded further into the room than it could have. In fact, it was not possible to travel from the room entry door to the balcony door without encountering interference from the chair. Modifications to the set, such as lowering the chair 1”, raising the table 1” or simply replacing one of the components would correct the problem. By correcting this problem 18” of valuable room space would be realized.

Although I would like to leave photos of my hotel experience in this review, I am not able to transfer them. If I use the "browse" command I am able to locate and move a link to my photos in the space provided. But the link is a shortcut that will not be accessible to anyone who does not have direct access to my computer. Or am I missing something? It would be nice if the feature to just copy and paste the photo to the site were provided.

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve a room. I would suggest a 3rd floor room with a lake view. Request a confirma...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your great and detailed review of your experience. I appreciate all of your comments and will look into correcting the chair/desk issue you experienced during your stay. Our breakfast is a complimentary continental breakfast during the week and on the weekends, we offer 3-4 hot items as well. As you mentioned, our 3rd floor lakeview rooms offer exquisite views of Lake Chatuge. All rooms do feature a private balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to meeting you the next time you are in the area.

Katie Stancil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Ridges Resort & Marina
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Young Harris
Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee
Riverbend Motel & Cabins

Been to Lake Chatuge Lodge? Share your experiences!