“unimpressive”

The Blue Otter Restaurant and Sports Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set on the shore of Lake Chatuge and overlooking The Ridges Marina, The Blue Otter offers the best in Family Friendly Casual Dining on one side and a State of the Art Sports Bar on the other side. Bring your friends and family to the lake and then enjoy a casual meal, adult beverage, and/or a sweet treat while looking at the beautiful North Georgia Mountain vistas.
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have to agree with the reviews that found this restaurant a disappointment. I have been going to this restaurant for years, through about four different owners...and though I'm glad to see the outdoor area opened and the bathrooms remodeled, I have to say that the service has never been so bad and the food certainly won't win any awards.

Though the original owner had the most diverse menu, the most recent former owner's had us returning every weekend for the food. I have been to the Blue Otter version of this restaurant several times now, and though it has drastically improved from my first visit, I still won't be going back anytime soon.

alicia j, Owner at The Blue Otter Restaurant and Sports Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for writing your review. Being from one of the local towns in our area, I am sorry you found it a disappointment. I also found it quite unusual that on the same day you wrote this negative review, that you wrote 2 good reviews about the 2 venues that have not been open for over two and a half years. I question your true motives. Be that as it may, you mention that you agree with others who did not like our venue. I am happy to report your are in the minority. When we opened up as The Blue Otter, we did not want to copy what had been. We wanted a new venue that encouraged both family friendly dining and those looking for a more adult sports bar concept. Our food reflects that choice. nowhere is the Blue Otter listed as a fine dining establishment. It is a sports bar / family friendly restaurant featuring some of the best casual dining items in the area. Our servers are some of the best in the area. We do not have white linen on the tables but we do offer fast friendly service. We have the Oaks Dining Room to provide our guests a fine dining atmosphere. We have also started a dinner entree menu as well as creating new and unusual specials to tempt our customer's palette. Perhaps if you would stop comparing us to what has been and experience it as it is now, you would come to enjoy it as the majority of those who have reviewed us enjoy it. We may not be perfect but we strive to deliver on the standards we have set forth for this venue.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I came in earlier today and loved the beautiful tree that was at the front door. Sat next to the fireplace and other Christmas tree that was also beautiful. They had a special going for something called a breakfast club which was also very good. The fries were a bit salty but still enjoyable. Our server Dora was very kind. I enjoyed talking to her about hiawasse. This was our first time visiting from Kentucky for the holidays and hiawassee seems like a very pretty place. Enjoyed everything and will hope to visit again and would recommend.
-also filled out a comment card inside the resutrant.

1  Thank susanm1955
alicia j, Owner at The Blue Otter Restaurant and Sports Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed your meal and the holiday decorations. I will make sure I let Dora know of your kind words as well. Next time you are visiting from Kentucky I hope you will stay and dine with us!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Yep, Yep, Yep! We were visiting the Hiawassee area again and had to be sure we made it back to the Blue Otter. We did and it was great! This time we had a party of 8. Four very picky co-eds and 4 very particular grown-ups. Not one of us was disappointed. The food came out, quick, hot, and delicious and every table was occupied while we were there. Michael was our server and he did an outstanding job. He anticipated every need and was very professional yet very personable. Great Food! Great Value! Great Service! The only disappointment came with the TV - the Dawgs lost to Auburn. Keep up the great work Blue Otter! We'll be back!

2  Thank ESDOS
alicia j, Owner at The Blue Otter Restaurant and Sports Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thanks for the great review. I am glad you came back and that once again you enjoyed your visit! We hope to see you again soon!

Sincerely

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The food was okay and the service lacked a bit but we were able to walk from the Ridges Resort so it was convenient. Not bad but not great!

3  Thank Maggie C
alicia j, Owner at The Blue Otter Restaurant and Sports Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am a bit disappointed that our service and food did not wow you. That is our ultimate goal. I am not sure what transpired during your visit, but please know that your experience is not the norm. I hope the next time you stay with us you will give The Blue Otter another chance.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

It is a really nice place, great location but is never a great experience...
We live about a mile from this place so it has been in our regular rotation of places to go for a good while. It is really a tourist trap/bar fly place that survives because there is no competition. It is the only place to watch a game and have a beer within 15 miles. It is always something... For example, last time we went we were told about the specials, ordered a draft beer special and after I had ordered my 3rd one I was told that the Sierra Nevada I had ordered was not $4. Instead it was $6.50. Not a catastrophic issue, but just another part of another mediocre experience. Burgers are best thing on the menu. Wings are big but sauce is again... mediocre. Never terrible, never impressed. If this place was more focused on customers and creating a great experience it would be the best sports bar in North Ga.

2  Thank FlyFurtherYoHa