“Better to die a slow starvation than eat here”

Monte Alban Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Hiawassee
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Better to die a slow starvation than eat here”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Avoid this place at all costs. Road Kill will be a better option than spending 3 hours of your life waiting for cold food that never comes. This restaurant is the place where vacations go to die.

Visited September 2012

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Average”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I haven't been by since La Palma's opened up, since it's much closer to where I live and also a lot cheaper. The best thing I can say for the Monte Alban is... meh. It's average, normal, run of the mill, kind of expensive. I've come to expect unreasonably expensive food in Murphy (you can eat a meal for about the same in Atlanta, and way cheaper in Chattanooga or Montgomery), and this is no exception. The food is average, the prices are too high but expected in Murphy, and there aren't really any specials of which to speak.

The servers are always nice and polite, but if you want them to actually get the tip, leave cash. I have NEVER had the restaurant actually charge a tip written on the receipt to my card. Overall, I'd pass on this one, there are other Mexican restaurants in the area that are better.

• Visited June 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“A great meal”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've lived in & traveled all over Texas and have eaten both great and not so great Mexican food. I was very surprised that Monte Alban, tucked away in a small community in the mountains of Georgia has some of the best Mexican food I have ever had. You will not regret eating there.

• Visited June 2012
Centerville, Georgia
“Not Very Good”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My family and I were in Hiawassee, Ga and wanted to eat some Mexican food, so we chose the Monte Alban restaurant because of the reviews I read on Tripadvisor. The service was very slow and it took a long time to get our food. When we did finally get our food and tasted it, I can honestly say, it was the worst tasting Mexican food that my family and I have ever eaten. We love to eat Mexican food and eat at Mexican restaurants where ever we go, But, we will definitely not be visiting the Monte Alban restaurant in Hiawassee, GA again.

• Visited July 2012
Hickory Hills, Illinois, United States
“We didn't enjoy our food.”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

There is a small chain of Monte Albans in the area. We went to the Hayesville location. The salsa was pretty good, but our entrees were, meh. I make better mexican food when I cook at home.

Visited May 2012