“You've gotta try The Happy Hawg!”
Review of The Happy Hawg BBQ

The Happy Hawg BBQ
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Hiawassee
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Defiantly Like Nobody else! We pull to order,then it's hand chopped! Freshness you can taste! Smoked Pork,Chicken,Turkey and Ribs! "Where the locals eat" Come See Us! We are located 1/2 Mile west of the North Georgia Fairgrounds. On the right. Heading west towards Young Harris. Seating is limited! Summer Hours: Wednesday--Saturday. 11:00 Am--7:00 Pm Sunday. 11:00 Am--3:00 pm
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This little BBQ shack is awesome! Great food, friendly service and a huge portion for your money!

As soon as you get out of your car you are hit with the aroma of real pit bbq! When you order, they start chopping. Can't get any fresher than that. These guys are really serving up A+ BBQ!

5  Thank JWFB916

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife & I are currently staying a few days in Hiawassee for a brief respite from the hustle & bustle of city life. Being lovers of good southern BBQ, our first choice upon arriving was the Happy Hawg BBQ.....based solely upon reviews from our fellow TA members!

First glance: "Wow, cute little place at a scenic location alongside Lake Chatuge," with emphasis on "little place." There is outside seating which looks to seat around 20-30, and another 16-20 on the inside. It is a no-frills kind of place, but what it may lack in a traditional BBQ ambiance (if there really is such a thing) it certainly makes up for in southern hospitality.

We were immediately greeted by extreme friendliness and the southern hospitality that you come to expect from good hearted southern folk! The menu offered a little less than what you may expect from the city BBQ chains, such as Sonny's or Bono's, but it had an ample array of choices for the casual BBQ lover.

I wanted the 1/2 BBQ chicken platter in all white meat, but they only literally offer a "1/2" of chicken that is cut down the middle and served up- so no choice on meat. Recognizing that I'm not a fan of dark meat, an employee recommended that I try the BBQ chicken sandwich which is chopped chicken from the breast only. Ok, sounded like a great solution, so my wife & I both ordered it. Something to note is that they do NOT serve your typical french fries as a side item, which in all honesty was actually refreshing. I have a weakness for fries which we all know to the be "THE" #1 most unhealthy food item to consume, so the Happy Hawg was actually helping me out by refraining from them. ;-) Instead, their sides were more indicative of country cooking, such as mac & cheese, BBQ beans, and the like- good choices all around.

Here's the simple, quick and dirty description of the sandwich: "HUGE!!!" My wife & I can both attest to this- you WON'T be disappointed in the amount of chicken placed on the sandwich which was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! Lastly, I found their kind of sweet tea to have more of a real tea taste rather than 95% sugar and 5% colored water. You know, the kind of tea that can put a diabetic into shock (giggle). If you want tea in the way it's meant to be, they have what you're looking for. If you want to leave with the shakes and your kids bouncing off the walls for the next 3 hours, well, it's not "that" kind of tea. ;-)

All in all, I don't know that I agree with this place being ranked #2 simply due to it's simple environment and overall size, but the food is definitely worth making the stop in. Happy eating!

6  Thank Tony&Barb
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife likes to stop at Mom & Pop style restaurants when we travel. Especially one's with cars parked outside. This one is a tiny little gem on the highway that runs along Lake Chatuge. Placed our order inside with the super friendly staff and a couple of minutes later, we had our steaming platters brought out under the pecan tree shaded deck. Great BBQ and good prices. Special BBQ sauces were unique and tasty. Don't miss the grilled corn on the cob.

4  Thank uneekware
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

BBQ pork sandwich was very good. Also liked the choice of sauces on the table. Vinegar slaw and fried corn were good as sides. Will definitely eat there again next time we're in the area. Friendly and fast service. Small gravel parking lot and small building but well worth the trip. Might be good to call before you go. We did and found out they were closing early for the 4th of July, but sign out front had no mention of that.

4  Thank fdsa88
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stopped here for lunch on the way out of town and we were very happy. Food was great! Staff was friendly! Tiny place was clean and cozy!

If they keep it up, they will be looking for a bigger place.

3  Thank TravelTeamC