“Not too happy...at all” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hiawassee
Flowery Branch, Georgia
“Not too happy...at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked this hotel for our 8 year wedding anniversary. We arrived to our room which was pine cone overload! I mean the border,pictures, lamps, everything in the bathroom was pinecones!! The fixtures were broken, but useable. The power was out for 4 hours, and no one offered anything for compsation not even a "sorry for the inconvence" This hotel doesn't even have room service!! No hot tubs (you'd think a RESORT in the MOUNTAINS would have one) not even an indoor pool. They said they offer smores by the fire pit, cookies, cider, and cocoa. The cookies were stale, hard to even bite, saw the lady take them out of a old plastic bag. The cocoa, and cider are the little powder packets you buy at the storeThe smores wern't offered each day as promised, if you wanted the fire you had to start it yourself. The wood wasn't even covered so it was wet. We asked directions to the falls and were told different things, ended up lost in the North Carolina....this place is probably better in the summer/fall where you can use the boats and the stores are actually OPEN

Room Tip: We had the second best hotel room in the place it was a king and it faced it lake (not the parking l...
2 Thank smc0509
Ridges30546, General Manager at Ridges Resort & Marina, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your visit, though much of it was disappointing and, in fact, a bit baffling to me. We are, indeed, a mountain lodge, and our decor reflects the lodge theme and setting, though I'm sorry that you did not care for the pinecones. I hope that you let our guest services staff know which fixtures were not in working order, as we would certainly have promptly come to repair for you. We are not a hot tub lodge, nor do we promote that we provide hot tubs, so I'm sorry that you seemed to expect that it would be provided. I do sincerely apologize for the power outage. As you know, you were visiting us on a very wintry day in January and with the winds and storms that came through, our entire area experienced a power outage for a few hours that evening. We did have our emergency lighting in place, and many guests commented on how they enjoyed the adventure of being by the fireplaces, etc. It certainly was not an ideal situation, but one that we did not have any control over, so please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. Because of the inclement weather, we were unable to offer an outdoor fire, so we are sorry that you missed the evening with complimentary s'mores. I do want to be sure that you understand that our complimentary cookies and cider that we offer our guests as an added amenity, are made fresh daily. Our pastry chef prepares the dough each day for our guest services team, who bakes them as needed for our guests. I can assure you that the bag that the dough is stored in is not "old." And our hot apple cider is prepared from scratch daily with our own Miss Vickie's special recipe. We don't even offer cider from store bought powder packages. I do hope that you will allow us to host you again in the near future. I'd be happy to personally discuss your disappointment further, so please feel free to call on me any time.

Chad Hooper - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I went on a romantic couples get away to the Ridges this past weekend to spend some quality time together.(We have a toddler and another baby on the way.)

The resort is absolutely gorgeous! The decor puts off a lodge type feeling and they had some of their beautiful Christmas decorations still up (which didn't bother us!) We love Christmas and thought they made the resort just that more cozy. Upon check in the front desk workers were very helpful and friendly. They made sure we knew about the happenings going on around the resort while we stayed there. They have cookies, and cider available when you check in. We skipped the cookies at first and went straight to our suite to check it out. We met a nice lady in the hall who asked us if we needed any help finding our room. The suite was very nice. The lodge decor was continued into our suite. It had a seating area, kitchenette, feather king size bed, HUGE bathroom, beautiful view and was cozy. The bathroom had granite counter tops, a jacuzzi jetted tub and a glass shower which was very nice- but our favorite part of the room had to be the breathtaking view of Lake Chatuge. After we took a nap and got settled in we walked to the on site restaurant, The Oaks. They were busy, but we knew it must have meant that it was good! While we waited for our reservation time we walked around the grounds some more and headed back to the main lobby and relaxed by the fire place. I must admit, we ate some cookies that we had skipped earlier and snacked on those (dessert first I say!). When it was time for our reservation we drove to The Oaks because it had gotten cold outside. We checked in with the hostess and while we did have to wait a little while we chatted and enjoyed each others company. When we were seated we ordered and quickly got our soup, salad and bread basket. My husband is not a soup fan, but even he enjoyed it. I ordered the sweet tea marinated chicken with peach chutney, and husband ordered the ribeye. The steak was cooked perfectly and was very juicy and tender. The chicken was delicious and the chutney was so good I wish they sold it. Our side dishes were seasonal veggies- sautee'd green beans over rice for me and asparagus and yukon mashed potatoes for my husband. He is a meat & potatoes kind of guy and was very pleased, as was I. We ate, were stuffed but then it was time for dessert. We decided we would take it to-go and ordered 2 pieces of dessert. I got the turtle cheesecake and he ordered the chocolate mousse cake. I can't choose a favorite- both were to die for! We went back to the room and enjoyed our dessert. (Skipped the s'mores because we had already had cookies and cake!.. But won't next time!) We got a great nights rest, showered, and went down to breakfast. There were pastries of all kinds, scones, muffins, bagels, yogurt, coffee, teas, juice, assortment of cereals & more. It was a good start to our morning and free.

Overall we really enjoyed our trip to the Ridges. It was perfect for what we were looking for/wanting for this particular trip- relaxing and quality time. But you can make it as adventurous as you want. There are shops a few towns over, hiking nearby, and the front desk is happy to answer all questions as to where things are/what to do. We plan on returning in the summer so we can take advantage of boating and the salt water pool- except we want to take the whole family this time.

We have two regrets. Not staying longer and (my husbands) skipping the s'mores. We can't wait for our next trip!

Room Tip: Book a lake view room. I'm sure any view would be beautiful, but we particularly loved the beaut...
1 Thank HayleyWill
Thank you for your kind review and we, too, wish you could have stayed longer! I appreciate the time you took to detail your stay and your experience in all areas of our special resort. I am delighted that your romantic getaway was perfect! I will share your feedback with our team as they all work hard to achieve perfection! It is always nice to be recognized for providing the special experience we strive to create for each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon...next time with no regrets! Simply stay longer and enjoy the s'mores each evening!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We reserved two rooms for a one night stay on Scoutmob in late January. We had wanted to visit the Hiawassee area, and found this the perfect opportunity. Our ages ranged from 29 to 72, and we all had a great time. I read one of the other reviews, and while I agree that leaving Christmas decorates up this long was odd, I thought they were very tasteful. I also liked the rustic theme throughout the hotel. The light fixtures and the furnishings in the rooms completed the theme of the lobbies. Without the rustic theme, the hotel would have just been another motel in a small GA town. The marina site was nice to see, but since we were there on a Sunday night, the restaurants on the property were not open. We did order room service with our $20/room coupons, and we enjoyed the grilled chicken salad, calamari fries, and hummus dip. We also disagreed with the other reviewer since we found the beds extremely comfortable, and thought the feather bed toppers were a real plus. While there was not a lot to do in Hiawassee, we had lunch in Dillard at the Dillard House on Sunday, and after we checked out, we drove over to Lakemont, GA to see Lake Rabun and Lake Seed where used to own a mountain cabin. That made the weekend more of an adventure outside the confines of Atlanta. For us, our expectations were met and exceeded. We often take road trips in order to explore Georgia, but we also have been around the world with work and pleasure. I think you have to be realistic in your expectations, and we did not expect The Ridges to equal the trip we have planned in September when we will take a trip to China with a driver and private guide/interpreter.

Room Tip: Stay on the side facing the lake
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jayne P
Ridges30546, General Manager at Ridges Resort & Marina, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience from your "great winter getaway" and we are glad that you were able to take advantage of our special Scout Mob promotion to do so. I'm delighted that you appreciated the lodge furnishings and how we take pride in being a unique and special retreat in the mountains. To exceed your expectations, as you concluded, is what we strive to achieve with each guest's visit. And I'm glad that you enjoyed our feather bedding and the comfort of your stay. I do hope that you will return soon - after the winter months, our dining room is open every evening and in the spring, we will also be opening our brand new lakeside restaurants with indoor and outdoor seating, The Blue Otter. Please let me know if I may ever be of personal assistance to you.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I went up for a getaway on the recent Scoutmob deal. We will not be returning. We enjoyed the area and visited some wineries, hiked a bit, etc. However, the resort left much to be desired. The cider and cookies in the afternoon were disappointing. The cider tasted like the powdered stuff with too much water. We missed the s'mores in the evening because we waited 40 minutes for a table at The Oaks even though we had a reservation that I had made when we booked the room a couple of weeks earlier. The Oaks was fine. Not as amazing as I expected from the reviews I read, but fine. The food was tasty but the menu was boring and uninspired. The continental breakfast was what I expect from a cheap motel continental breakfast and not a resort continental breakfast. They didn't have real OJ, just those little plastic cups you get at the doctor after giving blood. The baked goods at breakfast were good though; I think they came from a local bakery and were fresh and delicious. But the real problem of the stay was the beds. Specifically, the feather beds. I have slept with down bedding before and have never felt like I am being stabbed by needles as I sleep. This was in the feather pillows and well as the feather mattress covering. This could actually be dangerous since they were poking us in the head and face. I spent the whole night pulling out feathers. The beds were clearly old and sunken (you could see the indentations in the mattress of where people had lain before. The rooms are more like a 3 star hotel than a resort. I think they only call it a resort because of the water sports in the summer, but I would not classify it as a resort in my mind - no gym, no spa, nothing extra. The lobby was nice, if you are into the rustic hunting lodge thing. I could get into that but the stuffed owls were just scary (the moose didn't bother me as much). I also don't know why they still had their Christmas decorations up in late January. If we return to that area of Georgia again, we will not be returning to The Ridges.

Room Tip: Definitely get a lake view. We did not and we looked out onto an apartment building (maybe they wer...
2 Thank abernstein
Ridges30546, General Manager at Ridges Resort & Marina, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, though much of it was quite disappointing to read. I am sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and I will address each of your items detailed with our team to assure that we work to improve all of them. I do want you to know that our Executive Pastry Chef makes all of our baked goods for our morning breakfast, that you thought were fresh and delicious - we would never purchase these items elsewhere and serve as our own. She also bakes cookies daily and we prepare a special hot apple cider recipe from scratch each day as well. All of the items, as well as evening s'mores, are simply added extras that we enjoy providing our guests - something very few other properties provide as complimentary. I was sorry to hear about your experience with our feather mattresses - a simple call to our guest services and we would have been more than happy to remove it for your comfort. As I'm sure you know, real feather pillows and mattresses are extra luxuries of comfort, but sometimes make the bedding appear to be uneven. We are always happy to come fluff again or remove upon request. We do hope that you will return in the future, perhaps during some of the warmer months when you can enjoy some of the many outdoor recreational activities available. Please give me a call and I would be happy to personally make all of your arrangements.

Braselton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Due to a hectic life schedule, my finance and I can only do short getaways. I am beyond thrilled that we chose The Ridges for our one night vacation as it was more relaxing and pleasant than we could have imagined. We purchased the "Romance Package" which included a bottle of wine and a cheese platter waiting in your room at check-in. We immediately sat out on the balcony, overlooking the lake and sunset while indulging in our wine and cheese. We had also grabbed some delicious cookies that were available in the lobby area, so tasty! The Romance Package also included dinner at The Oaks. While we had a reservation for 8pm, we still needed to wait about 30 minutes to sit down. I'm not a fish eater, so my only complaint is that there weren't many other options (especially in appetizers) for me to choose from. Otherwise, we had a fantastic time and will certainly be back when the weather is warmer so we can take advantage of some more outdoor activities. This winter trip provided exactly what we needed, one night away to rest, relax and really feel "away" despite being only 1 hour from home.

Room Tip: We paid just a little bit extra to get a lake view room. So worth it!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad that you were able to squeeze a quick getaway into your hectic schedule and we, too, are "beyond thrilled" that you chose to stay with us at The Ridges! It sounds like our Romance Package was just what you both needed and we are happy that you were able to take advantage of the many amenities and a special dinner at The Oaks to round it out! We look forward to providing you with an escape any time of year!

Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Ridges. Every staff member we encountered was so helpful and accomodating. We enjoyed breakfast in the large lakeside dining area. The lake views were gorgeous and this time of year, it was quiet and so peaceful. The perfect place to get away for a few days. We had dinner each night at The Oaks and the food and ambiance were excellent.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Ridges30546, General Manager at Ridges Resort & Marina, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
We are delighted that you and your husband enjoyed a "wonderful time" with us at The Ridges recently. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff - we are always eager to please and I will share your feedback with the team. This time of year is, indeed, beautiful and peaceful on the lake and in our mountain setting. We are glad you could relax and enjoy, as well as dine in The Oaks each evening. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Florence, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The resort was decorated so beautifully for the holidays and the staff could not have been more gracious! Southern hospitality was at a premium. We enjoyed the quiet beauty at the resort even though Mother Nature was not at her best. Our room was well appointed, and we were upgraded to a lakeview room even though our rate was resort view. That was an added bonus.

Our only disappointment was to find that the restaurant at the resort was not open on Christmas day. We were forced to travel down the road to another resort for a one-price buffet. While it was definitely more than we would normally pay for a buffet and there was no way you could get your money's worth, the food was ample, diversified, well-prepared, tasty and the service was first-rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for spending the Christmas holidays with us at The Ridges Resort. We appreciate your wonderful comments about your stay and our "gracious Southern hospitality." We are fortunate to have a wonderful team to serve you. I am glad you were able to have an upgrade to a lakeview room; though sorry that the weather did not cooperate. Hopefully, it gave you a good excuse to just relax and enjoy the roaring fire in the Lodge! We hope that you will return very soon!

Chad Hooper - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Lake Chatuge Lodge
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Young Harris
Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee

Been to Ridges Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!