“Not for the business traveler”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hiawassee
Boundary Waters Resort & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hiawassee
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I regret giving a mediocre review as the people there were very nice to me, and one of the few to understand the confusing state form exempting us from hotel-motel taxes. They actually provided me a quote with the exemption noted - this is first, and I'll wager the only time this has or will every happen! Thanks for your extra effort! Also, I did not use any of the boating or fishing options available at the Marina, which are included with the room rate, and may be the reason so many people seem to like this place.

However, I thought I could provide some perspective from a business traveler's point of view. With a few upgrades, the business traveler could also be accommodated here.

1. Link to location map from web site places Boundary Waters on the wrong road, not even close to the actual location. I noticed this before I got there and found the right location, but it did cause me a few minutes of concern.

2. 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. hours at the main office are not very convenient for my schedule, and I probably would not have booked it in the first place had I known. I got there just before they closed on Sunday to check-in just by chance, but I had to return from my conference location during a break to check out on Tuesday morning.

3. Room was a bit worn without normal amenities expected at a "Resort". Probably OK for the casual week-long vacationer who can run out and buy what they need, but I expect shampoo and some basic room service to at least change the sheets and make the bed. None was provided, which was not clear to me from their web site. Also, lots of cobwebs around the place inside and out. Just needs some basic daily cleaning.

4. Really old electrical fixtures. This not something recall ever noticing at a hotel before, but the sockets were so worn that I couldn't get my phone charger or computer charger to stay in the sockets! Not just one location, but several sockets in both the living room and bed room. Fixing these would be very easy.

5. Wi-Fi internet was spotty and very poor strength. I didn't need it much as I had good internet at my conference location during the day when I use it most, but once again, this is so easy to fix. Maybe the people who vacation here like the idea that their kids (or adults who just have to stay in touch with the office) can't connect! However, this is a must for the business traveler.

6. Poor cell phone reception. I have Sprint, which does not have the best coverage here, but it is normally reliable if I am stationary. Once I got back to the main highway, the connection was fine. This is not an easy fix, but if the Wi-Fi were better you could work around it with email or skype.

So business travelers, If you want a place to deposit the family while you do your thing, just be aware of these issues, and adjust accordingly. I probably will not come back here even for a vacation, but really, it's not my kind of place.

Bottom line: I think any place using the term "Resort" in their name should provide better accommodations than this.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kim L
BoundaryWatersResort, Manager at Boundary Waters Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write a review! I'm sorry to hear that everything wasn't up to your expectations. We are a small family business, and we work hard to provide a pleasant stay for all of our customers, but unfortunately we cannot offer all of the same business-friendly amenities that chain hotels can offer. We can, however, offer a relaxing getaway on a beautiful mountain lake for a reasonable price. With that being said, we have made several meaningful updates to our rooms and facilities to improve your experience with us, including: A new more powerful WiFi network to provide faster and more consistent free internet to our rooms, updated position on Google Maps, replacement of worn electrical fixtures, new 32" flat screen TVs in every unit, fresh paint, new linens, updated decorations, and new furniture in many of our rooms. We do provide soaps and travel size shampoo to our lodging customers, as well as extra towels in the rooms. We also offer complimentary use of our canoes, kayaks, and pedal boats to all of our lodging guests. In order to keep our prices for lakefront lodging as low as possible, we do not offer daily room cleaning, but we are happy to accommodate our guests to make your stay more comfortable. In regards to your cell service, it is unfortunately out of our control, but AT&T and Verizon both have strong 4G service in our area. Thank you again for staying with us and your review, and I hope we have the opportunity to earn your business again in the future!

-Kevin Clem
Dock Master

There are newer reviews for Boundary Waters Resort & Marina

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Went with friends for the HOG Rally, Beautiful cottage and view... Very clean and staff very nice and helpful,,Biker friendly.... Would go back again and again.. Derrick and his family helped us with anything we needed...

Room Tip: The cottage sleeps 6, rooms are good size full kitchen and great view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christi Bowlin N
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We live here, so nothing to gain but your tourist dollars! Kerry, Melanie, Kevin. Jennifer, Carol, John, Max, and others, run a family owned resort and marina like none you will find anywhere else. Marina, rental boats, JetSkis, SeaCats, ski boats, u name it, they have it! Come here and you will want to settle down here! The Clem's are the best of the best on the best lake in Northeast Georgia!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DDStovall
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Chatuge is a beautiful lake nestled in the mountains. We have always longed (yes, longed) to go boating but do not own a boat (nor desire to own a boat). Boundary Waters was the solution. They had the perfect 21' pontoon boat (holds 10) and we spent a leisurely afternoon on the water tanning, gazing at the majestic scenery, and swimming for a very affordable price. The staff was patient, accommodating (we got there an hour early and they didn't make us wait for the reservation time), informative and all around North Carolina/Georgia NICE! The boats are purchased new every season and they are in immaculate condition. The marina is beautiful and well maintained as are the grounds, cabins, even the parking lot!

Room Tip: Pack a cooler with beverages and snacks if you are taking a boat out on the lake. Bring your Ipod an...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TeacherBurns
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was the first time that my family and I have stayed at Boundary Waters and we had a great time. The cabin was very clean and had plenty of room. I especially liked the privacy. We are already planning a time to return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Janet R
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We use to go the Hiawassee fair every year but havn't been in about 14 years. With the new technology these days we were able to search the web and find this place. We booked our trip wondering what it would be like. Man, when we got there and saw how beautiful the view was and how clean the whole place was, made us so glad we found it. This is a place I will tell my family and friends about. The gift shop had so many things to look at and buy. The family that owned this place was so nice and helpful. The workers on the dock we great. You didn't have to look around to find someone to help you with any need. The rooms we rented suited us just fine and were clean. We rented a Criagcat (2-person)boat/pontoon which was really neat and different, in a good way. People on the lake was wondering what we were riding on, the way they were looking at us. We enjoyed the weekend and will be going back our next trip that way.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shane K
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have to admit my wife and I have always thought we were strictly beach people. We decided to try Boundary Waters because my boss kept bugging me to do so. I am glad I did. We dont have a boat and not enough experience to rent one, but we had a blast swimming off the swim dock and using the complimentary (when you rent a room there) kayaks to explore lake Chatuge. Hiawassee has some really good local restaurants and some interesting stores. I really liked the area. Helen is less than 20 minutes away. A trailhead for the AT is close by. Brasstown Bald is also close. Really alot to do in the area. Go have fun on the lake all day and come back to your nice clean room. It was a really awesome experience. I look forward to going back. It was inexpensive enough that I may even go back one more time before summer ends! It was quiet and comfortable without being boring. Go check it out.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Lake Chatuge Lodge
#3 of 19 in Helen
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Young Harris

Been to Boundary Waters Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!