I regret giving a mediocre review as the people there were very nice to me, and one of the few to understand the confusing state form exempting us from hotel-motel taxes. They actually provided me a quote with the exemption noted - this is first, and I'll wager the only time this has or will every happen! Thanks for your extra effort! Also, I did not use any of the boating or fishing options available at the Marina, which are included with the room rate, and may be the reason so many people seem to like this place.
However, I thought I could provide some perspective from a business traveler's point of view. With a few upgrades, the business traveler could also be accommodated here.
1. Link to location map from web site places Boundary Waters on the wrong road, not even close to the actual location. I noticed this before I got there and found the right location, but it did cause me a few minutes of concern.
2. 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. hours at the main office are not very convenient for my schedule, and I probably would not have booked it in the first place had I known. I got there just before they closed on Sunday to check-in just by chance, but I had to return from my conference location during a break to check out on Tuesday morning.
3. Room was a bit worn without normal amenities expected at a "Resort". Probably OK for the casual week-long vacationer who can run out and buy what they need, but I expect shampoo and some basic room service to at least change the sheets and make the bed. None was provided, which was not clear to me from their web site. Also, lots of cobwebs around the place inside and out. Just needs some basic daily cleaning.
4. Really old electrical fixtures. This not something recall ever noticing at a hotel before, but the sockets were so worn that I couldn't get my phone charger or computer charger to stay in the sockets! Not just one location, but several sockets in both the living room and bed room. Fixing these would be very easy.
5. Wi-Fi internet was spotty and very poor strength. I didn't need it much as I had good internet at my conference location during the day when I use it most, but once again, this is so easy to fix. Maybe the people who vacation here like the idea that their kids (or adults who just have to stay in touch with the office) can't connect! However, this is a must for the business traveler.
6. Poor cell phone reception. I have Sprint, which does not have the best coverage here, but it is normally reliable if I am stationary. Once I got back to the main highway, the connection was fine. This is not an easy fix, but if the Wi-Fi were better you could work around it with email or skype.
So business travelers, If you want a place to deposit the family while you do your thing, just be aware of these issues, and adjust accordingly. I probably will not come back here even for a vacation, but really, it's not my kind of place.
Bottom line: I think any place using the term "Resort" in their name should provide better accommodations than this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee Georgia, Boundary Waters Resort & Marina is a quiet, secluded haven for a relaxing getaway amidst the peace and stunning beauty of Lake Chatuge and the surrounding national forest. We have perfect accommodations for a family vacation, a romantic getaway, or a day of boating pleasure. Our Hiawassee Georgia vacation rentals are the perfect place to sit back and relax. ... more less