“SIMPLE YET PLEASANT EXPERIENCE”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was offered a last minute check in with my girls. The staff was friendly and accomodating. Breakfast was simple yet fulfilling. COuldnt ask for a better quick rip, overnight stay! And the room was clean and so was the pool :)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank InuHadiya

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Front staff upon checking in on Tuesday was awful. The lady at the front desk didn't have a name tag on and she asked me to drive her to the bar so she could have a drink. She went on to tell me that she couldn't give me a printed invoice for the stay because she has back problems and it hurt to bend over. She also told me that the housekeeping staff has not been doing what they were suppose to do. Upon entering the room the commode didn't work, so I called the front desk to report the issue and was told that if she could find someone it would be fixed. The room wasn't clean there were beer bottle tops on the floor and the counter tops were sticky. My family and I stayed here in the fall and we had a pleasant stay. I'm not sure what happened over the past six months but we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jnorris613
econolodgehelengeorg, Webmaster at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. Since your stay, we’ve made many changes that improve the overall guest experience. I apologize that we let you down, and I want you to know that we’re now doing better for guests than ever before. I hope you will soon give us another chance to satisfy you.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We arrived at this hotel on a Saturday night at about 9pm and our room was HOT and the toilet had black mold all around the inside of the bowl!! We decided to walk into Helen and give the room time to cool and we came back about 2 hrs later with the room hotter than when we had left it! We called the front desk and the attendant came down to check it and said it was indeed messed up so she called the owner. When he came it was all any of us could do to contol ourselves! He said that it was blowing cool air that we had to turn our hand over to feel it; we had the door opened prior to him showing up so I know that some of the air was cool because of that. My husband told him that he himself was a Air conditioning man and the owner asked him 'Well then tell me whats wrong with it?' so he knew that it was broken! We asked if he would give us a credit for the 'HOT' room and he told us, 'NO but you can get your stuff and get out now and I wont charge you'; REALLY? By this time it's after midnight and we have a 1 1/2 year old child with us! He even told us that we could sleep with the door open!!!! That was it, we started calling around and found a room at the Best Western that only had one bed and there was 6 of us and the baby but they were so nice to us and made us feel welcome the moment we walked in the door!!! Thank you Best Western and NO THANK YOU ECONO LODGE!!! What ever you do don't stay at this motel!!!!!!!!!! You would be better of in a tent in the woods!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with us caused by a malfunctioning air conditioning unit and some staffing issues. We take real pride in meeting the needs of guests and are now providing a better experience than ever before. If you choose to focus on the many good things about our hotel and return in the future, you’ll find a much improved experience.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We got to the room, & the 1st thing we noticed was a musty smell, come to find out the carpet was wet. The lady in the front office gave us some dirty towels to put down & said she would tell housekeeping, but they didn't come in until the next morning. There was supposed to be a microwave in the room, but like the ash tray, I guess someone carried it off. The coffee pot was nasty, I had to clean it before it could be used.

Room Tip: go some where else
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family "attempted" to stay here Memorial Day weekend. We got there and the room smelled horrible and was HOT! So we turned the air on and left for a couple of hours. Came back-air wasn't working at all! Manager was called and he came and tried to tell us to flip our hand over and it was cold. No it wasn't! There weren't any other rooms available so we couldn't switch rooms. He told us to pack our stuff and leave and he could find someone else to rent the room. Keep in mind that by this time, it was midnight!! He was VERY rude! We went up front to get a refund (which we are still waiting on) and went to the Best Western! I will NEVER stay at Econo Lodge in Helen, GA ever again!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have been in this hotel twice. It is good value for your money. The walk to the 'downtown' is not bad and there are even a few lively bars/restaurants along the way. This hotel is the cheapest--I find it about 10-25% cheaper than the next cheap hotel in the walkable area to downtown.

I think there are issues like soap-missing in the room (happened to us both times) and some other minor inconveniences (okay, soap-missing NOT minor!) that keeps this hotel from being the BEST value for your money. During my last trip, the smoke alarm was chirping and the front lady wanted me to put in a new battery; before too long a maintenance guy came and put in the battery. Then there are minor things like some lights not working etc.

BUT there are pluses like the location, the adequate and free breakfast, the adequate parking. I have never stayed during the Oktoberfest though.

Overall, a very good hotel especially if this comes out significantly cheaper than the next one walkable to the downtown area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Room clean.Everything in working order.Great nights sleep.Friendly staff.Only thing I did notice was the clamp lock on door was loose,screws were working there way out.If someone shuts the door too hard you will be locked out.Other than that Great stay and we will be back. Couple/Monticello Ga.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple