“Nasty Stinking Place”

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Helen
Calhoun, Georgia
“Nasty Stinking Place”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place is nasty! Upon check in the lady wanted to jack up the price from what was quoted! Another couple was there and the same thing happened to them. I went to check in and the room is SOOOOOOOO old and I requested a NON smoking room and I walked in the room and it smelled like someone just lit one up in there! DO NOT GO HERE your wasting your money and it is not closed to the shops!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dobash
Econo Lodge H, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
All opinions matter to us, even yours. Thank you for letting us know about your stay. It has been brought to the attention of owners about the price difference. As far as the smoke smell in the room, we do inform the customers that they are in a non-smoking room, however, sometimes, some how it doesn't stop them from doing it. We do charge them and do our best to get the smell out. It is difficult to get that smell out in just a few hours. We do apologize. We also try to switch out the rooms if you are unhappy with the room, if possible and available.
Again thank you for your response and we do again apologize.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed July 22, 2013

People always want to look at the negative side of everything, and never see a positive. Whenever we have stayed at the Econolodge, as a matter of fact this past Thursday night, We found our room to be very clean, welcoming, and the Housekeeping Staff the next morning to be very nice, polite, and considerate to our needs as well. The Front Desk Staff, what a wonderful job, from the breakfast they assisted with, to the time of our checkout. Maybe This Person "Debbie242" didnt sleep well the night prior, or she just needed to go to another hotel, that would fit her specific needs better such as the Walddorf Astoria,or something similiar.
Myself and my Family has been coming to this hotel, ever since this used to be the Comfort Inn back some years ago, and the Quality of our stay has not decreased what so ever. There was a Gentleman Manager back then named Stephen, and he had an Assistant Manager also back then her name was Debbie also, real pretty older lady at the time. Still as for me and my family we so thankful that Helen has the Econolodge in its city as a wonderful motel business. I did this past Thursday notice that the entire motel staff has changed, except for the motel owner and his wife, everyone else that was there, even the lady that was at the front desk (Dawn) is now gone. I guess changes have been made, good or better who is to say, but go by Econolodge, after all "Seeing is Believing"..............Happy Family"

Room Tip: Both sides on the ground floor are the best rooms, one side is the pool side, the other side is the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate your loyal business. We try to keep our customers happy. We look forward to your next visit. We do hope that it is as good if not better than the last.
Helen, Georgia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The worst of the worst!!! The place is so dirty - carpet is really bad - bed sheets are nasty - pillows are stained - the furniture is in bad condition. The parking lot had a lot of cigarette's on the ground - trash in the trash cans over flowing - the grass had not been cut. The breakfast bar was dirty. The breakfast containers looked like they had not been cleaned in a few years! The lobby restroom was so dirty. No soap or towels in there either. Drive by this place!!! And the stories the employees could tell about the place

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Econo Lodge H, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Your opinion matters, thank you for the review. It helps to know where we need to improve. We do sincerely apologize for the stay that you had with us. Your review has been brought to the attention of the owners. They are working on getting the hotel properly staffed. The hotel has been having some staffing problems. The owners have also been ordering new supplies for the hotel. We do apologize again for the inconvenience. We do appreciate you letting us know about your stay, so we can do our best to improve.

Travelers are raving about these Helen hotels

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Front Desk Girl was GREAT we got there kinda late on a Friday night & were ready for bed she was very quick getting our information, checking us in, & getting us our keys. She deserves a raise for sure, I mean I don't know what the girl makes but she is awesome at what she does & I'm all about giving credit where credit is due! Thanks to my insomnia I slept for about 3 hrs & woke up wanting to tell her what a good job she did last night so I found this review sight & started typing. =)) I can't remember her name but she was the only one besides who I assume was the owners at the front desk Friday June 21, 2013!! =)) Thanks for great service!! We may even stay a second night after I try & talk my husband into it in the morning! =)) We LOVE Helen!!

• Stayed June 2013
Econo Lodge H, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. I am showing this to my boss to see if it works in getting a raise. Ha Ha not likely, however, thank you. I really enjoy meeting new people and enjoy my customers, getting to know them and how I can help them enjoy themselves more. The customers make my day and my job. The customers make my job worth it. I look forward to see you again.
Royston, Georgia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My sister-in-law and I take our grand girls to Helen every year for a "girls trip". We always stay at the Econo lodge. Dawn is so friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable about the area. Always a room by the pool for us. Great location, right across the street from Helen Water Park and close proximity to Sunburst Stables where we always horseback ride and zip line. We will always return to this Econo Lodge!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Yes your annual visit to where I get to see how much the girls have grown over the year. Boy are they growing up fast. I look forward to see you ladies every year. It is always a pleasure seeing you and catching up. When the girls are all grown up, I hope that you two still make this trip. It wouldn't be the same every year without seeing you. I have a great year and thank you for the comments. I'll see you ladies next year.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We booked our stay based on previous tripadvisor comments and we were not disappointed. When we checked in, we were given a discount just because we had to wait a few minutes for check in. We really didn't wait that long, but they offered the discount even though we didn't complain. The staff was very friendly and readily answered questions or made suggestions about the area. The room was as requested and was nice. It was clean, the bed comfortable, and quiet. The hotel is across from the water slide park and it was still quiet. There was plenty of space for luggage and just moving about the room. Wifi is also available. We did not try the pool or the breakfast. Just as a side note, the water park across the street offers the water park fun plus tubing down the Chattahoochee. It is a great location close to town, across from water park, and close to putt putt. We will definitely stay here again when passing through.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for such wonderful comments. We try to make our customer comfortable and happy. We do our best to serve you anyway we can and answer any questions to the best of our ability, if we can not answer, we will try to guide in getting the answer the best we can. I strive for good customer service. If there is ever anything that we can do just let us know and we will do our best. Do hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Econo Lodge in Helen, GA is a decent property and very conveniently located. Not only is it adjacent to the Helen Water Park, it is within walking distance of Main Street which saves a lot of headache of driving on a usually very-crowded street and having to squeeze into a parking space which are often too small for compact cars once you reach your destination on Main Street.

Rooms are clean, and the breakfast is good. Definitely a good value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. It is nice that you let people know our location so that it is easier on them to make their decisions. We try to get the rooms right and I value customer service. If there is ever anything not right please let us know and we will be happy to fix it for you to make it right. We want you to be comfortable and enjoy your stay with us. So that you say I am coming back there. I do hope to see you soon.