“Worth coming back!”

Econo Lodge
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Helen
“Worth coming back!”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Me and my boyfriend came here to just get away and relax! And it was perfect. And the lady at the front desk was an absolute sweetheart! Thanks a lot! Def will be coming back!

• Stayed July 2012
Econo Lodge H, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your response. We are so glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us. We will be looking forward to meeting you again. Do come back soon.

Dawn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was a nice hotel as far as the rooms. Ours was very clean and stocked with everything that was advertised. The Breakfast was lacking they had the basics oatmeal, toast, bagel, and cereal. The flies in the dining area where unbearable (invest in a fly swatter). Overall I was satisfied with the hotel and will stay here again as long as I don't want breakfast.

Room Tip: They give an awesome discount for military personnel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ashley,

Thank you for your response. It helps us to know where we can improve. The we have notice more and more about breakfast and we are making changes. We are so glad that you did enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you again for your response, we are listening you our customers.
Midway
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We went to Helen to go Tubing -- Econo Lodge is just across the street from the Tubing and Water Park Company -- Just enough distance from "town" to be quiet -- We took our lawn chairs and sat on the sidewalk most evenings -- The Staff could NOT have been nicer - Thank you again --

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brenda,
I'm apologize for not responding soon. We are so greatful for you comments. Thank you so much for that. We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay here with us. We do hope that you come back and visit us again. On a personal note, I enjoyed having you and I really enjoy all my customers. You guys make my day.

West Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed at this Econo Lodge twice last year. It was clean and well-maintained, so when making plans to take a group to Helen this year, I had no question where we would stay. I must say, what a difference a year makes! In 2011, the rooms were clean, the continental breakfast was well-stocked, and everyone from the front desk to housekeeping bent over backwards to make sure the guests had a great experience. This year, the only person who expressed any care or concern for the guests was Dawn, the girl at the front desk.

I think a good characterization of the current Econo Lodge is "bare minimum." I first noticed this on my first morning when I went to the continental breakfast. I had told my group how great it was, but when I arrived in the breakfast room there was only toast, cereal, muffins, bagels, bananas and coffee. They did not even have cream cheese for the bagels! Housekeeping (on the first floor, which was serviced by a woman with a long blond ponytail and a man with a beard) was a joke! The first day, my bed was made and the towels were switched out in a timely manner. The second day, it was after 4 PM when I finally went to the front desk and let them know that my room had not been serviced. My room was eventually serviced, but none of my group's first floor rooms were cleaned. When the guests needed towels, they were told that they had to bring their dirty towels to the front desk before they were given new towels. On the third day, a cleaning crew from one of the owner's other properties came and did an excellent job. On the fourth day, I was in the room when housekeeping came to service. Other than making the bed and switching out the used towels, they did nothing! They didn't even change the bath mat! The room has two trash cans and they only emptied one. In addition, I had several boxes that I had stacked next to the trash can they emptied. They did not even bother to remove the boxes. The housekeepers had apparently gotten their own envelopes and left them in the room with the label "Tips for Housekeeping." Needless to say, I did not feel inclined to even leave a dollar. Considering their lack of cleaning and their horrible attitudes, I think the fact that they are paid for working is a gracious plenty.

We encountered several folks who have stayed at this Econo Lodge before, and they, too, were displeased with the conditions on this stay. Unless housekeeping changes and the standards return to what they once were, I do not recommend staying in this establishment. I will probably take another group to Helen next year, but we will be looking for a new place to stay. Although Dawn at the front desk is great, the facility itself has too much to overcome.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank fermatakid
First I want to say sorry for not responding before now. I want to thank you for your response. We have been retraining our staff, We are also looking for new and better staff that is more friendly. I do apologize for you experience with us this year. The big difference was the owner was out of the country. I know this is no excuse, he should have been better prepared. We have discussed your comments extensively. We are making changes in the staff. We are also doing maintence. I do hope that you come back and give us another chance. I know you really dont have any reason too. We failed you this years and we apologize to you and the whole group. Please do remember the other experiences that you have had with us.

Dawn

Travelers are raving about these Helen hotels

Blairsville, Georgia
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a room that was clean, a/c worked great, and the motel staff was friendly. Overall, I was pleased with it. Only thing was we only got one pillow each without pillow cases in which was resolved pretty quickly. So I would say it's a great place to stay for a good price!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Econo Lodge H, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Gracie,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the review. We are so glad that you decide to stay with us and that you are planning to come back to see us. We are always happy to see you guys.
As far as the pillow cases we are working on retraining staff and getting new staff. I do hope this doesn't happen again and your next stay is better than the first.
Do come visit again and give us a call we will fix you up.

Doraville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed there for a 2 night weekend get away this past weekend and enjoyed the stay. The rooms were clean and up to date. The hotel is not near the center of town but you can walk if you are in shape enough. The breakfast wasn't bad. The location was quiet. The only thing I kind of balked at was the hand written envelope marked "Tips for House Keeping". I have never seen that before and struck me as a little cheesy, but I understand folks are just trying to get by in this tough economy. We may stay here again, but if not, just because of location not near town center. Other than that, it's all good.

1 Thank John L
Econo Lodge H, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
John thank you for responseding to tripadvisor. It helps to know what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you do come back to visit with us again. As far as the hand written envelopes we as management had no idea that she was putting them in the room until it was brought to our attention. I assure you they have been removed and I am so sorry that they were there to begin with.
Again thank you for your response. Come back and see us again.

Dahlonega, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have laid my head down about 60 times in the last 6 months on Choice Hotel pillows for business. (It has been a very busy year!) I stayed here in Helen with my wife of 21 years to make our commute short for a GA Motorcycle safety class we were taking in Clarksville. The outside of the hotel looked great and we received a warm welcome from Dawn. To tell you the truth we had a couple of issues with the room that we did not like. But we did not report them to Dawn or anybody else. I complained on the Choice Hotel's website. Dawn called me the very next day and apologized. She also let me know that she would have immediately fixed any issue that we had. She apologized to me again and asked me to try them again. I was very impressed with Dawn's positive and professional attitude when she called me. I did not know what to expect when I picked up the phone and she identified herself as the hotel front desk manager becuase of my complaint. Because of Dawn's professionalism and positive attitude, I probably will stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone. I would only ask that if you do see something you do not like, please tell somebody (Dawn). They will fix it immediately.

, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Carmen, thank you for the comments. It helps know what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. Everything that you told Choice hotels will be handled. I am again sorry about the problems that you and your wife experienced at our hotel, however, if they are not brought to our attention we can not correct them. And I remember you and your wife a lovely couple. When you visit again do let me know if there are any problems right away. We will do our best to fix them as fast as we can.
If there is ever something missing or something wrong you should always report it to the office. The office staff may not know that anything is wrong with the room, and if no one tells us we still won't know in order to get the problem solved. That is part of our job is to try to solve the problems you might have.
We do hope to see you and your wife again.
Please except my sincere apology.