“Nice hotel convenient to Helen” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Helen

Hampton Inn Helen
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Helen
Pensacola, Florida
“Nice hotel convenient to Helen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

After reading lots of reviews, we picked the Hampton in Helen for a one night stay. Overall, it was good. While the hotel is older (and probably was something else before it was the Hampton), the rooms were large and the beds were comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. One drawback not just for the hotel but for the entire town of Helen, GA, was that they were under a boil water notice while we were there. No one seemed to know why, but they thought that maybe a water main had broken. The Hampton gave out free bottled water since you couldn't drink anything (tea, coffee) that was made with the local water. The Hampton was a couple of blocks from the main street in Helen and it was an easy walk. It was also located on the river so you could watch the people tubing down the river.

If you're staying in Helen, this would be a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank golferperry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
birmingham, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

Our family needed a weekend getaway, so we loaded up and headed to Helen, Ga. I chose the Hampton Inn based off many reviews found here on tripadvisor. Glad I did. Hotel was perfect for a family of four. Located on the River, we could sit on on balcony in the evenings and watch the tubers go by. Once there we could walk all over Helen without fighting the traffic. Rooms were clean and the front desk clerk (which I wish I could remember his name) was super nice. You could ask him anything at anytime, he always had a smile and never made you feel stupid. We went River Tubing with Cool River Tubing (green floats). So much fun, and cheap! If you are wondering if you can take your younger children....you can. I took a 2 yr. old and a 7 yr. old. I do advise you to use life vests on the younger ones. The water is not that deep, but you never know what can happen. Both my children LOVED the tubing. I also advise you to go ahead and wear old shoes. This is a river bed and they do have sharp rocks and sometimes your tube can get stuck and you may find yourself having to get off the tube and pull the tube around the rock. Lots of shops and eateries in the Main Square. And as many have mentioned...Anna Ruby Falls is breath taking. Worth the hike. The hike is great for families. It is paved all the way and follows a beautiful creek. You must see for yourself, you will not be disappointed. If you have a daughter, then a trip to Babyland is in order. The home of the Cabbage Patch Babies. Free to get in, and only about 7, miles out of Helen. Really neat experience. All in all Helen is fun, and it is a perfect weekend getaway!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Bink1ette
FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

It admittedly has been about a year since I stayed in this hotel, but unless it is changed I can tell you this hotel seems newer or at least cleaner than most of the other hotels in Helen. We arrived in Helen without any hotel reservation and we walked from place to place trying to find nice and affordable accommodations. The hotels in Helen must engage in price fixing as they all seemed to be within $10 of each other so we picked the Hampton based on the niceness of its interior and exterior appearance. The hotel is well kept and had a nice and I mean nice continental breakfast included in the price.

• Stayed September 2009
Snellville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

This trip was so wonderful I don't even know where to begin. First let me start by saying I just had the most stressful week when I woke up on a sunday morning and decided that I wanted to get away from the city. I decided my fiance and I would like to go to Helen after realizing that I had not been in about nine years. I looked on tripadvisor and found the Hampton Inn. I picked up the phone and called to inquire about location, availability, and other amenities. Let me just say that Jay (one of the workers at the front desk) was pleasant from that very first phone call. He was professional and answered all of my questions without hesitation. I called back a second time after discussing my information from Jay with my fiance; we decided to book a room for that day. I told Jay we would see him in a few hours. Let me give you a breakdown of our trip.

Hotel: We had a King 2 room suite. It had a king sized ultra-comfortable bed with your dresser and T.V. There is also a chair in the bedroom with a foot stool.We had a jacuzzi tub, which we never even used because we were having so much fun in Helen we did not want to be in our room. The living room had a fireplace, microwave, minifridge, desk &chair, pulloutsofa, and a T.V. They also provide you with hot breakfast which included a belgian waffle making station. Did I mention this room was $109.00?!! What a deal.

Tubing: We went tubing on the river. There were two companies we did not know which one to choose. Jay, once again, informed us that one company would come and pick us up if we called them, and they were only $3.00 per person. You pay $3.00 get a tube and float down the river for 11/2 - 2 hours. This was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Wine Tasting: We went to the Habersham Wine Place. I did not feel that the lady doing our tasting was that friendly, but on a good note, we bought a muscadine wine that was excellent and I think the bottle was only $12. We bought six bottles of different wines because if you buy six you get a 10% discount.

Antique Mall: The antique mall ( a huge old house), if you have time, is a MUST SEE! This place is huge, It has three different levels. We stayed in there walking around for over an hour. We also came away with a couple of treasures, we think.

Jewelry by Martha: This shop is a beautiful treasure, and the lady who owns it has a heart of GOLD. We bought some shot glasses which she helped us turn into candles. I bought some stones for my daughter as well. She also sells the most beautiful handcrafted jewelry. Her prices are more than reasonable. This is another MUST VISIT place while in Helen.

Dining: The place where Blimpies is located in the square has the best selection of ice cream and homemade funnel cakes, and their prices are the cheapest I've seen anywhere. Oh, they also make fresh squeezed lemonade. Yummy. There is a Barbeque place located where the tubing exit is, they have good food but the service from the lady at the counter was not the best.

Anna Ruby Falls: Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, what more can I say. The falls are located inside of Unicioi State Park. You will pay a $2 per person fee to access the falls, but the money spent is a great trade off for all of the beauty seen.

Overall: The trip was just what we needed. We were able to rekindle and reconnect with each other. The hospitality was overwhelming from most of the locals. We definitely will be going back, next time we are taking our girls. See you in a month Helen.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lisa1199
scribe530
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice. I stayed here with my boyfriend during Oktoberfest and last month as well for a wedding. I must say that it is a little expesive for a Hampton Inn but that is expected for a tourist area like Helen, Georgia. Parking was easy and even during the rush of Oktoberfest it was not a problem parking even though it seemed like a lot of people were at the hotel. The lobby design was unremarkable (but of course this is a hampton inn). The rooms, however, were pretty nice. The bed was nice and very comfortable. The bathtub was large, deep, and had jacuzzi jets. The shower head was nice too. It had a big seperate living area from the bedroom. Two televisions (one in the living area, one in the bedroom). The breakfast was availiable for several hours and it was nice. Of course it had a variety of the continental favorites like pastries, fruit, cereal, milk, coffee, juices, and different breads like bagels (plenty of choices). However, they had hot dishes too like an egg scramble with cheese and sausage and omelettes another morning and so on and so forth. Overall, I enjoyed my stay though the only negative I will point out about the place and why I say it could have been cleaner is that during Oktoberfest I found a hair on the floor and it looked like there was still water in the tub when I arrived (this may have simple meant that the maid cleaned it with the tub water and it didnt dry or it could have meant that it hadnt been cleaned since the last person took a bath which is a definite no-no).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

We had a large room with a fireplace and balcony with river view. It was clean but the carpet, curtains and room in general needs to be refreshed(changed).Otherwise we had a great time in Helen.It snowed while we were there. The steakhouse on the river is good but on the high side$$.The Hampton is one of the better hotels in Helen.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

Room/Suite: 1 king bed, 1 pull out couch, tv, fireplace, jacuzzi tub, and view of the river, with balcony.

To start our vacation off it was raining, I was with my 8 year old son, 4 year old daughter, and disgruntled wife in a renal car I decided to drive. After the tire started leaking air and the door lock system wasn't working (Enterprise.com), we kept on chugging toward Helen. After going by Enterprises GPS navigation system, my family ended up at the top of the scenic Blue Ridge mountains in 3 inches of snow and ice. Going a half mile an hour down the sloop of icy roads.

Hotel:
Fast forward a few hours, We arrived at Helen, Ga at 10pm and snowy. Got to check-in for my reservation.... All went smooth until I entered the room and couldn't breath (Smoking) room. I called the front desk and told her that we have asthma and can't breath.... I had reserved a suite, she put me on hold for about ten minutes and gave me a run around. I told her I would find another hotel and magically the same suite appeared.

The suite was large, king bed was big and comfortable, about a 27'' tv with not many channels., bathroom very nice and clean, big spa tub was great. Nothing bad to say about the room or the cleanliness. They had this young girl that you had to track down at the lobby to get help. Don't want to give up her hiding spot, but she stays on her laptop at the main entrance on a couch. She always did look comfortable when I needed something. I asked for two pillows and 2 blankets for my children. It was 11:30pm by then and I was exhausted. The young lady was aggravated that I took her away from chatting. She gave me 2 pillows and said she had no time to put cases on them. She tossed the blankets at me and ran to her laptop. I was scared to call and bother her for the wireless internet keycode, which didn't work until my second call to her. She was such in a hurry she gave it to me wrong.

Breakfast was ok, nothing real great. It was good for my kids to eat. A prepackaged muffin and yogurt. Had some bacon and eggs, but didn't look appealing.

Overall, my experience at this hotel is ok for the money. I paid $124.00 a night I believe. It rained/snowed our whole trip so it was a bummer. There is an awesome restaurant you can go to or they deliver at hotel called Big Daddy's. Everything from fresh sushi to pizza, steaks, and very good wings. Great BEER!!!!! I love Helen for it's awesome selection of Beer.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family