“Oktoberfest - Great stay, near the main strip but away from the traffic!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hampton Inn Helen

Hampton Inn Helen
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Columbia, South Carolina
“Oktoberfest - Great stay, near the main strip but away from the traffic!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

Just stayed a weekend at the Hampton Inn in Helen, GA for Oktoberfest. Got a King Room facing river, they even let us check in early. Overall, I really CANNOT complain at all about this hotel. The continental breakfast was great, rooms were clean, service was good. Noise level was good. Bed had a duvet comforter which was WONDERFUL due to cool nights. Due to high prices (Oktoberfest time of year) I would not suggest booking a Chattahoochie river "facing" room - save your money, it's really not worth the extra price...the back of the hotel is at least 60 yards from the water, the trees block some of the view.

This hotel is NOT on the main strip, but within walking distance to most anything. The town doesn't have alot of parking and most of it is $5 per day, the lots fill up fast, the traffic on the main strip was bumper to bumper all weekend, tons of horses/carriages and bikers. I recommend staying at the Hampton Inn and parking your car at the hotel. We even walked back at 1 am, after visiting a few of the bars, it was perfectly safe. Several police driving around. I highly recommend Anna Ruby Falls! This hotel has many pamphlets on fun activities in the surrounding area! Knowledgable staff.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nicholet55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

We did a weekend trip to Helen to celebrate the end of summer and stayed at the Hampton Inn. I had no complaints about the hotel at all. Check in was quick, my room was clean, newly decorated, and smelled nice. It was exactly what I would expect from any Hampton Inn. Not luxurious, but completely fine all the same. Weekend traffic in Helen is terrible, so the location of the Hampton was perfect for walking. We had dinner at the Black Dog Bistro just one block away. I don't see the restaurant listed here, or I would write a review to recommend it. Good food at a reasonable price with a relaxed atmosphere. We had the complimentary hotel breakfast, and it was the same as any other Hampton, which for us means cereal, coffee, and pasteries. It was a nice trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Elle16
Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

Spontaneous trip to Helen, and the Country Inn and Suites was booked for the weekend. I have heard great things about the Hampton Inns so I booked a room there.

Check-in was easy, very friendly desk clerk, I think her name was Melissa. Room was very nice except the carpet needs replacing both in the room and in the hallways.

Saturday morning breakfast was terrible. Eggs, ham and cheese..with biscuits. Eggs dry as they could be, cheese wasn't even melted on them. Biscuits hard as a rock. Husband dumped his in the trash and ate cold cereal. I mixed mine in a bowl with instant grits and hot water and it was edible, nothing more.

Beds were comfortable...very much so!

Sunday morning breakfast was biscuits and gravy, a little better but still not as good as Country Inn and Suites.

So, stay here if breakfast is not an issue. The location is very good, easy to walk to the shops and Betty's Grocery Store.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Medic2430
Mobile, AL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

We travel extensively and frequently stay in Hampton Inns throughout the nation. We have found them to be a good chain with which to do business. However, this is the worst location at which we have stayed. This appears to be an older property in need of renovation. The smell that permeates the entire property is overwhelming, similar to that of a cleaning agent. While lying in bed, I was bitten by a large winged ant which caused swelling and discomfort for a couple of days. I completed an online survey on our stay and was contacted by the location manager. I explained these issues but she has not addressed my complaints. I am quite surprised that Hilton allows this property to be branded and marketed as a Hampton Inn. It certainly does not live up to their standards of quality for the consumer. I would suggest that if you are visiting Helen, you select another lodging option.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drsyn2
Tangerine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

We probably spent about 60 minutes to go 5 miles to get to our hotel. Helen is a very busy area, with two lanes going thru the town. Process is impeded by frequent crosswalks and by large buses transporting people to/from river access for tubing. The earlier in the day you can arrive, would be better. If you are coming up from Atlanta, take the route that takes you to Cornelia, then cut over East to Helen. This will save you a lot of time b/c the distance is the same, but the road to Cornelia is a small highway vs. the narrow lanes winding thru small towns to reach Helen.

The Hampton Inn is about one block behind the main tourist area, which is good because once we finally got parked, we had no intention of doing any more driving! You can easily walk behind the hotel to look at the river (benches to sit on) and you can easily walk to the main areas for shopping and eateries. There were small bar-like restaurants scattered throughout the few blocks of the main area, as well as many fudge-ice cream-hot dog venues. Gift shops were in between the places to eat. The buildings were mostly decorated in German designs. There was a Wendy's and a Huddle House located within walking distance; all other restaurants were local.

The hotel itself had plenty of parking both under the hotel (which begins on the second floor---elevator under the bldg in the parking garage) and area the hotel. The employees that we dealt with were polite and efficient. We had a voucher for a free room due to using Hilton Honors points. We were assigned a "double bed" room on the voucher. I asked at check in if there were any upgrades we could get so that we could have a king room (as this was part of our anniversary trip). The man at the desk said that the rooms had two queens but that he had one suite left he would give us.

The room was right down the hall from the office area and eating area, but it was quiet. There was some smoke smell in the non-smoking room (mostly in the bathroom) that I think seeped in from the workroom next to our room.

The suite was clean and had four separate rooms. A full kitchen with eat in table/chairs was in the first room we walked into. It had a long counter and sink, as well as cooking area and frig. Behind the kitchen was a bedroom, standard size for a hotel room. It had a closet with a door, a dresser w/TV, a king bed, and a recliner-type chair. To the right of the kitchen was a very large bathroom. It had a jacuzzi tub large enough for my 6'3" husband to fit in comfortably and enjoy. The only 'downside' of this was that the shower was also in that tub. I had to have help from my husband climbing over the sides of the jacuzzi tub to get into and out of the shower. Behind the bathroom (and next to the bedroom) was a living room. We were not able to enjoy the living room b/c we were only there for one night, but the living room had a cute fake fireplace, another tv (beside the one in the bedroom), a desk/chair, and a sofa (not sure if it was a sleeper sofa, but I would guess that it was).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spockmycat
Savannah, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

I cannot say enough good about the Hampton Inn Helen. My wife and I have stayed there twice and it is a sure bet that we will go back again and again. The people are extremely friendly and helpful, the service was great, and the location cannot be beat. The rooms are clean and fresh, and the building itself quite unique. As a chief engineer of another Hilton Property in Savannah, it was a real treat to meet and talk shop with John, the Hampton's chief. The front desk people sets the tone for your entire visit as soon as you walk through the door, and that tone of course was one of caring, and fun. Thanks for a great stay (once again), and we are looking forward to our next visit. If the Hampton is not available, we will reschedule when it is, because this hotel is the ONLY hotel to stay at in beautiful Helen Ga.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

This is a really nice hotel and all, downside being the price. However there were a couple of annoying incidents. The door to the balcony had to be slammed shut but we did not know this so we shut the door and left for the evening. When we came back that night and got ready for bed, I realized there were several of those annoying small miller bug nightime flying thingies around lights and around our bed. It was then I realized the balcony door had to be slammed shut after leaving it open all evening for the bugs to settle in. The hottub was really nice, we had a good time in there. It was very accessible to downtown Helen in a quiet peaceful location. You know sometimes how you get the craving for a midnight snack? Well forget it at this hotel! I walked around and around the hotel with several signs misleading me, guiding me in the wrong direction during my time of late night hunger. Ended up in the corner of the top floor staring at two empty hoses where the vending machine once stood. Sad........

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple