“Nasty!”

Americas Best Value Inn - Helen
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My husband and I went up to Helen just for a one night getaway so we went to the Days Inn thinking it would be OK since it was a Days Inn, honestly you think a major hotel chain would be OK. What a mistake! The first room we checked into had a bowel movement in the toilet and smelly pillows. The front desk clerk moved us to another room, which I thought was OK- the toilet was clean and clear so to speak. Then later that night I started to notice how dirty the bathroom was. The tub was so nasty I wouldn't even shower there and I kept my shoes on all the time. That morning when we checked out I told the front desk clerk how unhappy we were and how filthy it was, just to be told how they an Indian couple who cleaned and they really didn't do a great job. Great, so much for thinking a major chain hotel would be fine.

Won't go back to that dump ever again, and as you can tell from all my reviews of the places in Helen, my husband and I go up there alot!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jojohcarter

Reviewed September 2, 2011

After reading some of the reviews, I was worried about this hotel. Thankfully the reviews I read were not accurate. Stayed 2 nights. It was in a good location to walk where we needed to go. Good value, clean sheets, clean bathroom, good light breakfast, helpful staff. no bugs.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This was the nastiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I booked in for 3 days and 2 nights, because the one I usually stay in was booked. The pool was full of bugs and paint chips, to the point that we almost didn't use it. After I asked for a skimmer, and skimmed it myself, we got it, and found a worm in the bottom. We passed on using the poll the last day. The room wasn't much better, the bathroom had a dead roach in the floor, and the toilet was backed up, not to mention it looked like it had not been cleaned. It had hair, and other dirt on the toilet seat. The sink had an annoying drip, and the visitor guide in the room was molded on the back side. The only thing good I can say about this hotel is the location is decent..allowing us to walk to town. However, I will never use it again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travel_happyGeorgia
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I arrived at the hotel around 1 pm and had no problem checking in even though customary check-in time was at 4pm. Then the front desk clerk informed me that a "King Bed Room" is available and he could switch me if I would like that instead. I accepted and was pleased. Although the furnishing were basic and the room could have used an "airing out" it was spacious and clean. We had access to free Wi-Fi and good selection of channels on TV. I really appreciated that we were within walking distance of downtown Helen. Now, I did take a quick look at the pool and it was in OK condition. The parking lot was basic and I had no problem finding a spot. If your just looking for a simple place to stay while in Helen. This is great!

Room Tip: Book online. Save more money.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank QKelley
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed 2 nights at this motel for business. I have stayed at many Days Inn in the past, and this was, by far, the worst. I had requested a non-smoking room, and while it did state that it was non-smoking, it certainly didn't smell that way. The floors looked like they had not been vacuumed in ages. The shower was heavily stained with mold and mildew, and there was quite a bit of hair in and around the shower tub.
On my first night, I noticed that the phone in the room did not work. When I contacted the front desk, they said they would replace it the next day when cleaning the room. I didn't think to check when I got into my room that night, only when I was rudely awakened at 2am from some obnoxious guests banging on doors and yelling. I tried calling the front desk, but the phone still did not work. I had to rummage around for my cell phone to call the front desk, and all they could offer was "I'm sorry".

Two good things about this motel: Location was good, and it passed my bed-bug inspection.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mmj4817
Reviewed September 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this Days Inn over the Labor Day weekend. I'm not sure what room the people who wrote good reviews stayed in, but our room was terrible. The tub/shower hadn't been cleaned with cleanser in awhile, so I can only assume that the rest of the bathroom hadn't been properly cleaned as well. There was something that resembled mold on the wall in the shower. That's how we know that cleanser hadn't been used. My husband took a washcloth and was able to wipe it off. Like another person above, we also wore our socks the whole time. The carpets were filthy and hadn't been vacuumed before our stay. We will never go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank micheleworking
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Hubby and I planned 2 nite, kid free weekend. Helen is a lovely town. We viewed this hotel online and in a brochure. When we arrived and got into our room, my heart sank. It smelled musty. The carpet was horrible! I would not even shower barefoot. I wore my flip flops everywhere! Suspect stains on the carpet beside the bed. Something had been spilled on the nightstand and the wall behind it. The toilet leaked onto the floor. The shower was NASTY! I found used soap in the shower ((EW))! There was mold near the ceiling in the bathroom and vanity area. I had to pick up dead crickets and a roach when we arrived. Not only was this hotel out dated but it was plain NASTY! Oh! And the pool? We couldn't get in it because of all the debris at the bottom and floating on the surface. PLUS if you try to lay out by the pool, watch for bugs because the fense surrounding the pool is used to grow produce on so it attracts a lot of bees and bugs! STAY ELSEWHERE!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple