“nice view, boring food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed February 11, 2013

For the price, this place was a disappointment. We did get a table on the water which was the best part of our dinner. The service was average and the food, while adequate, was nothing spectacular. In the spring/summer when you have been out walking and need a place to refresh and rehydrate, a waterside table with an umbrella would be a nice place to get something cold to drink and rest your feet. For dinner, we would recommend you go someplace else.

There are newer reviews for Troll Tavern

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've been to Helen a dozen times and this was my first visit to the Troll. I had the Reuben and it was okay. I wasn't a fan of the potato salad. My wife had the Southwest Eggrolls, I had one and it was pretty tasty. The prices are a bit high. Draft beer was $6 a glass. The service was pretty good for a sunny day in January. It's nice to sit by river. Not sure I'll eat there again. I haven't found any places I like to eat in Helen but will try a few more. Oh yeah, there were a lot of people smoking in the outdoor eating area.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We really enjoyed the atmosphere here and the food! Waiter was really nice. Inside was clean. Really good onion rings and reuben sandwich.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

A simple, but adequate food menu with a satisfactory beer menu. The view of the river is nice and its a good stop to get off of the main strip. The menu is mostly pub styled food, but was served with good portions and made quickly. Worth a stop.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This location holds so much potential, but after several visits we've finally decided we're never going back.

First, the food here is so overpriced, it's ridiculous. The one that jumped out at me on the menu was $17 for chicken tenders, seriously! I settled on a burger and my boyfriend got the reuben. My burger was OK, but definitely nothing special. The reuben was pitiful. It barely had any meat on it, and he had to pry it apart to even put the dressing on it creating a huge mess as you can imagine with a sandwich that has sauerkraut.

I think the worst part was the service. We sat at the bar, and the bartender seemed far more concerned with talking to other waiters and waitresses than actually serving customers. He failed to ask how I wanted my burger cooked, so I ended up with an overcooked burger. Should I have remembered to tell him? Sure, but generally you are asked when you order something made from red meat. My boyfriend only ate half his sandwich and none of the canned German potato salad that came on the side, so the bartender asked if he wanted a box. My boyfriend said no, and told them that it was awful and didn't want it. Instead of apologizing, the bartender just stared at him and then turned and walked away without a word. Not one single word. A simple "I'm sorry you didn't like it." would've sufficed, but we got nothing. That cost him a huge percentage of his tip. Sorry, dude. Maybe the service is better if you sit at a table, but a good restaurant has consistent service across the board - especially one that is this overpriced.

Don't bother with this place. Your money will be much better spent somewhere else in Helen.

Been to Troll Tavern? Share your experiences!