The Heidi Motel is probably the most unique placed I've ever stayed. It's family-owned and operated and an instant landmark in Helen. Just mention the windmill and EVERYONE knows exactly what you are talking about! My husband and I stayed here for three nights in January to celebrate our anniversary. This was our first trip to Helen and Heidi. We stayed in a king-size hot tub suite directly under the windmill.
-Convenient location. The hotel is at the far end of Helen and you can easily walk to nearly everything Helene has to offer, which is very nice.
- Easy to book and they are always running some kind of great special
-The suite was very spacious
-Ummm, hot tub IN the room- need I say anything else???
-Easy to use and cozy fireplace
-Comfortable bed, pillows and couch
-Plenty of storage
-Microwave, fridge, counter space
-Super adorable outside
-No hangers in the wardrobe
-Way too bright- though the bed and pillows were comfortable, I didn't sleep well and I can only attribute that to how bright the room was at night. Thicker curtains would be great.
-The shower was touted as being two-headed, which it was but it wasn't anything fancy.
- Hot water- now I am the hot shower queen at my home, but this water was HOT! I know that shouldn't be a con, but the water controls were pretty tricky and you either had scalding water or lukewarm water- Updated fixtures will help with this and I'm sure it's on the to-do list.
-Trash wasn't emptied the entire time we were there. Maybe that was an oversight on our part or maybe they thought it wasn't trash, but we had it bagged and tied and next to the can when we ran out of room and it stayed there the whole time. Not that it mattered, because....
-SMELL- The room stunk, BIG TIME. I hate to even write that because I don't like to be mean or hurt feelings. But I wouldn't stay in the Heidi again, the room smelled that bad. Most older places have a distinct smell of just closed-up mustiness, but this was seriously horrible. Eventually you got used to the smell, which is kinda gross if you think about it, but it was pervasive. Literally I could walk back to the car to get something and come into the room within 1 minute and the smell would slap me across the face. They had a candle burning, but it did nothing to cover up or remove the stink. Maybe a ceiling fan to rotate the air? The carpet looked new, so I'm really not sure what smelled so bad, but it needs to be addressed.
I think the owners have their hearts in the right place and I know they are working on renovating the Heidi. I think once it is finished it will be a perfect place for a vacation, but my advice for now is o smell your room before you agree to stay...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Heidi motel is located in down town and is one of the most Photographed building in Helen, GA and is one of the landmarks to the town and also are currently the only Motel in this area that you can actually stay in a windmill. We do not do a Breakfast due to the fact that we are across from Bettys country store and 2 buildings down from Hoffers Bakery which we recommend to all our guest to go for a great German breakfast and lunch. We have no pool due to the fact that we are so close to the river and that there are 2 water parks in town. We are American owned and operated and live on site. We work very hard to make your stay great and really appreciate your business. Thanks Chad Jackson ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Heidi Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heidi Motel & Windmill Hotel Helen
- Heidi Motel And Windmill Suites