“Honest Review of Our Stay”
Review of Heidi Motel

Heidi Motel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Heidi Motel is probably the most unique placed I've ever stayed. It's family-owned and operated and an instant landmark in Helen. Just mention the windmill and EVERYONE knows exactly what you are talking about! My husband and I stayed here for three nights in January to celebrate our anniversary. This was our first trip to Helen and Heidi. We stayed in a king-size hot tub suite directly under the windmill.

Pros:
-Convenient location. The hotel is at the far end of Helen and you can easily walk to nearly everything Helene has to offer, which is very nice.
- Easy to book and they are always running some kind of great special
-Friendly
-The suite was very spacious
-Ummm, hot tub IN the room- need I say anything else???
-Easy to use and cozy fireplace
-Comfortable bed, pillows and couch
-Plenty of storage
-Microwave, fridge, counter space
-TV, wifi
-Super adorable outside

Cons:
-No hangers in the wardrobe
-Way too bright- though the bed and pillows were comfortable, I didn't sleep well and I can only attribute that to how bright the room was at night. Thicker curtains would be great.
-The shower was touted as being two-headed, which it was but it wasn't anything fancy.
- Hot water- now I am the hot shower queen at my home, but this water was HOT! I know that shouldn't be a con, but the water controls were pretty tricky and you either had scalding water or lukewarm water- Updated fixtures will help with this and I'm sure it's on the to-do list.
-Trash wasn't emptied the entire time we were there. Maybe that was an oversight on our part or maybe they thought it wasn't trash, but we had it bagged and tied and next to the can when we ran out of room and it stayed there the whole time. Not that it mattered, because....

-SMELL- The room stunk, BIG TIME. I hate to even write that because I don't like to be mean or hurt feelings. But I wouldn't stay in the Heidi again, the room smelled that bad. Most older places have a distinct smell of just closed-up mustiness, but this was seriously horrible. Eventually you got used to the smell, which is kinda gross if you think about it, but it was pervasive. Literally I could walk back to the car to get something and come into the room within 1 minute and the smell would slap me across the face. They had a candle burning, but it did nothing to cover up or remove the stink. Maybe a ceiling fan to rotate the air? The carpet looked new, so I'm really not sure what smelled so bad, but it needs to be addressed.

I think the owners have their hearts in the right place and I know they are working on renovating the Heidi. I think once it is finished it will be a perfect place for a vacation, but my advice for now is o smell your room before you agree to stay...

Room Tip: Hot Tub suite on ground level is too bright for good sleeping and smells. Hot tub is fantastic thoug...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katiefrost921
Chad J, Owner at Heidi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

We are sorry to hear that you had concerns during your stay. There is always someone in the office for your every need. We have just about anything that someone would need and more. I will check into the shower control in the room, but unfortunately the water temp is set by the local health department. We have house keeping here between 11 and 2 and if there is a D&D on the door we may have missed your room during that time frame. There is a large trash can on property and we would have had no problem throwing it away in the office for you. On the issue of the odor, we believe it is most likely from the hot tub in the room or maybe a possible sensitivity to the bromine or chlorine in the water. Please know that we are always in the office and wished we would have been informed of this issue during your stay, as we would have graciously fixed the problem. We are working diligently on many more improvements to come. Thank you for your time and comments.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

When in town for Oktoberfest, we have stayed in lots of the Helen lodgings and the Heidi Motel was one of the best. It also has the advantage of being a family run establishment. The owners have a big stake in creating a happy customer base and they do a very good job of that.

As others have noted, it's location on the edge of town is great for walking plus being quiet during the evening hours. We enjoyed staying in the "Queen Windmill Suite" and were very comfortable. Since pictures say some things better than words sometimes, I've attached several pictures of our room's interior, including closeups of areas that often get missed in cleaning but are in good shape here.

You should note, the windmill blades don't really turn, there is no breakfast included, and no pool. You get ice by walking down to the front office (not far) with your room's ice bucket. Not a hardship, but a little different than at The Box Hotels.

The only negative aspect to our enjoyable stay here was having to go behind the motel to the utility area and climb poorly kept iron stairs to get to our room. Besides getting to see hoses & such, you get to see a huge sliced off hill of Georgia Red Clay. The area needs some beautification effort!

We hope to stay at the Heidi Motel again next time we're in town for Oktoberfest and hope others will branch out from The Box Hotels and try out this little jewel too!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Queen Windmill Suite. Nice View. Quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and hope to see you in the future. We are hoping to get the wind mill turning soon. We decided not to offer breakfast, since we are so close to so many good breakfast choices. We are also close to two water parks and the local tubing, so we haven't installed a pool, but we hope to have one in the future. I enjoy people coming down for ice and getting to say hello to each and every one of you. We are so thankful that we get this opportunity to have your business. We are working on some fences and are brain storming on what to do with the bank behind us, which is part of the national forest. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

If you have ever been to Helen on a summer weekend then you know how horrendous the traffic can be. On my second trip to Helen I stayed in the Heidi Motel which is just inside the city limits and easily within walking distance of all the shops/restaurants. Having a place to park my car while others spent 30-40 minutes navigating the 5-mile stretch of road that is Helen was such a great convenience. I honestly probably would have paid the price of the room just to be able to park my car there - thats how miserable the traffic can be. That being said, the staff was very friendly, and the rooms were clean and accommodating. If you are like me, and the hotel room is just a place to hang your hat for the night, then the Heidi Motel is a great place to stay.

As a bonus, Hofer's bakery is right down the road, and their german cuisine is straight out of Deutschland! You will not regret booking this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the windmill if you want, or save money and stay in the main lodging area... personal prefer...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Theron S

Thank you for taking the time to write this review we appreciate your business and, your kind words.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We are staying here as I type this! We have a suite and it's very nice! Lots of room! Good WIFI took a minute to connect but that's no problem at all. Really friendly people at the front desk. WE WILL BE COMING BACK. Walking distance to everything. The room is super clean!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BryanP5623

It was very nice meeting you two and thank you for taking the time to write this review we appreciate your business and, your kind words. Hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Will definitely stay here again when we come back to Helen. Check in/out was quick, room was very clean and spacious, great location, and friendly service. We stayed in the queen suite. We noticed some earlier reviews stated no irons etc. Ours had iron, ironing board, hair dryer, frig, coffee maker, fireplace, and dual shower heads in the shower.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank BammerDrew

Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Heidi Motel was a delight on the outside and cozy on the inside. We had a room in the windmill that included a queen sized bed, fireplace, flatscreen T.V., and a neat shower (it had shower heads at both ends). I am guessing that not all rooms have that, but it is now a dream of mine to have that in my home. The location is perfect, and within walking distance of a majority of the attractions in Helen. The customer service was excellent, and the folks running have plenty of information about what to see, and where to go (I got my "fancy" shirt dirty and needed to replace it before dinner and they recommended something just right). The only thing I wish was different, was that the weather was colder so I had a reason to use the fireplace.

Room Tip: Stay in the windmill.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shae A

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your business and your kind words. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Nice ambience, room clean and staff friendly. BUT…the rate of 59.00 for double queen room…only got that rate one of the three nights we stayed…I understand one of the nights was Christmas day but in regard to the following things listed, that doesn’t fly…the other things:

•No phone in the room
•No ice maker or snack/drink machines on property
•No frig or microwave in the room

As for the phone, I talked to management and was told to have phones in the rooms would cost $100.00/room…I find that hard to believe but that is what I was told…what if someone was having a heart attack or such in a room and a cell phone wasn’t available, run down to the desk…really?

As for the frig in the room...only if I paid extra for one less queen bed in the "Windmill".

These are regular conveniences that come with chain motels for the prices I was charged, thus In the future we will stay elsewhere when we visit Heidi.

Room Tip: Go to another motel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wendy d
Chad J, Owner at Heidi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are working hard to make many improvements, while keeping our unique Alpine look. We strive for comfort, convenience, and friendliness. We do appreciate your business durning a very special holiday. We always have someone available to address any needs or issues you may have. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.