“Feels like Germany”

Ranked #4 of 75 Restaurants in Helen
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Hofer's Bakery & Cafe is an Authentic Bavarian Bakery and Cafe located just north of town center in Helen Georgia. European Cakes, Pastries, and "Old World" Breads compliment our delicious Breakfast and Lunch served in our relaxing dining room. We offer both German and American food favorites to satisfy the taste of all customers. Visit our "Gift Vault" where you will find many unique imported foods and gift items. Mail order service is available. Our outdoor Biergarten (located on our covered front deck) is open summer and fall (weather permitting) featuring delicious food, Beer and Wine and live music entertainment. Please call visit our website for more information
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We visit Hofer's every time we come to Helen, and they never disappoint. This trip we both had the farmer's breakfast with coffee, and came back the next day for pastries. My wife loves the Linser tortes, and I usually get an apple fritter, which are highly addictive (fair warning!). The atmosphere and the food remind me of many small family-owned restaurants in Germany. Very authentic.

1  Thank BarryWS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Ah, just thinking about the amount of apple fritters I indulged in on our trip to Helen makes me a wee bit embarrassed, but mostly just happy. My husband and I visited Hofer's at least 4 times during our week long trip to Helen. We only ate in the restaurant once, for breakfast, and I would say it was just typical breakfast fare, nothing great. If you go for dinner your experience may be different. But in my opinion, the real reason to visit is for the freshly baked pastries. Upon entering the small establishment, you are greeted with a shiny glass case filled with donuts, cakes, and cookies, with bread lining the shelf on the back wall. We always went in the morning and you could tell that all the baked goods were fresh. We tried most things, but the apple fritter was hands down my favorite-- soft and moist, flecked with apple bits and generous amounts of cinnamon, complete with a sweet glaze. So delicious! The bakery area was usually busy with guests selecting an assortment of treats, but the employees worked quickly and we never waited long. I would highly recommend stopping in to pick up some pastries before heading out on a nice hike in the area.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Big disappointment. The lindser tort cookies, were a huge disappointment. Made out of "regular" dough instead of the traditional hazelnut dough. Also got a cream cheese pastry that had no cream cheese on the inside or if it did, we couldn't find it. For a German Bakery that's supposed to be so famous, we were TRULY DISAPPOINTED!!! Don't know why this bakery gets so much recognition. Big deal. I could have gotten better quality items from the Publix bakery.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a decent breakfast (over priced) but I was startled when the waitress stated, "we don't offer bacon". Then it turned out that the only sausage was sweet. Even so later that same day, my 81 year old husband walked a mile there and back during rainy weather to get sandwiches and was first told that they were serving lunch, not carry out. An odd response for a bakery laid out in a sort of deli way. They did give him the sandwiches, but did not include the mustard which was listed on the menu. Nothing like pastrami on very dry rye. They seem to have an attitude problem. Needless to say, we never returned.

1  Thank JMLarsen
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We ate here twice, once for breakfast I had Mountain Climber's Breakfast wife had Pregel and Lox both were excellent, second was for lunch which was just average for german food, what makes this place is the bakery and the meat market, fresh brotchen and farmers bread every morning. The inside dining room is very small at most 15 tables that is why it fills up so fast, and being only non-fast food selling breakfast can be crazy, but there is free parking if you are eating, otherwise you get towed, very limited free parking anywhere in town.

Been to Hofer's of Helen? Share your experiences!