“Its really not that bad..”

Hofbrau Riverfront Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Helen B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2009

So this place isn't your typical American Howard Johnson, but if you've been to Helen you can kind of tell that it isnt a typical fancy place. Our hotel room was definitely out of date but still had its own charm. The location was away from town but close enough to walk everywhere. One of the few hotels on the river and this one is more secluded than the others with a courtyard out back. The rooms would seem more clean if they were renovated and not so dark. The service at the hotel was good, and at the restaurant was great. (We enjoyed talking to the owner at the piano bar while having the Hefe Weizen erdinger on draught! Which is delicious)The prices for the rooms are reasonable for the location. All in all this was a good experience, didnt seem like the nightmares everyone else described. I guess you are more apt to write a bad review rather than a good review online.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank c_childs

Reviewed October 17, 2009

After seeing the website, we were excited as there was a new "Master Chef" there since the last time we visited. The chef, who according to the website, was going "to bring a little of Old World Germany" to the place. Instead, what we received was a little "old world indigestion and diarrhea." This was our first night in town, and thus set the tone for the entire visit as we were sick for the next day and a half. The hostess was rude and short with us, the waitress was slow and almost nonexistent for most of the meal. We sat there for at least 20 minutes after ordering a pitcher of beer before one of the guys (maybe from the bar) noticed we were looking perplexed and he took it upon himself to bring us the pitcher. My husband ordered Jaeger Schnitzel and I ordered "slow cooked" pork tenderloin in a butter herb sauce. When the meal finally made it's way to our table we were presented with small (and I mean SMALL) pieces of meat floating in a sea of brown muck. My pork tenderloin was tough and stringy, the muck it was afloat in was something akin to regular pork gravy, certain not a "herb butter sauce". I couldn't even finish my pork it was so chewy and disgusting in the muck. My husband's Jaeger Schnitzel or whatever the "Master Chef" passes as Jaeger Schnitzel was tough and tasteless. The meat was supposed to be in a "mushroom cream sauce". However, the cream muck that his meat was floating in had separated into globs and pools of oil. It was as equally tasteless and unappealing as my own muck was. The spaetzle and kraut were good, however, I am thinking that $18-19 is entirely too much to spend on some OK sides.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ladyshaf
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I booked a King room w/ a firplace for our 6th wedding anniversary. We are big Oktoberfest/Helen fans! We have stayed in the A-1 cabins and also at The Helendorf Inn in the past. This time pretty much everything was booked but the Hofbrau inn- So i booked it online and THEN READ THE REVIEWS! Not wanting to give up our weekend, We came armed w/ our own linens, lysol and towels and hoped for the best ! I was honestly a little curious to see if anyplace could possibly be as bad as the reviews I read. We were pleasantly surprised. We had no problems w/ the front desk. Everyone was very friendly and professional. Our room was very clean and comfortable and exactly what we reserved. We loved the fireplace and the river view w/ Rocking Chairs was very cozy! Also you cannot go wrong w/ the location. It's no Ritz Carlton but perfect for Octoberfest!Clean and convenient. We will visit again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bandc2003
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Recently my wife, daughter and I when to Helen, GA for the beginning of Octoberfest. In the early evening we went to dinner at the Hofbrau Riverfront Restaurant as we saw an ad for it at our hotel. Upon arriving we noted that the place was old and somewhat dingy. When seated we ordered beers only to be told after a few minutes that they did not have what we ordered even though on the menu. We were then sold substitutes that the bartender indicated would be the same. They were not. Next we ordered dinner and our wait began. After one hour I asked the server about our meals and was told, after she checked, that they were about ready. After another half hour I asked to see the manager, who told me that our meals would come out soon, which they did. After eating meals that were ok, I commented to the server on the fact that several parties arrived after us and were served before us. Within minutes the manager came over to our table and loudly berated me for making this comment. Helen has a lot of very good German restaurants and this was the first time I had such poor service and rude treatment. I believe service and respect are part of any dining experience. This restaurant appears to not believe that its important.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We made reservations to stay online. Before we left for Helen, we read some of the reviews.

Thank God we did. When we got to the motel, it looked nothing like any of the pictures on their web site. It looked old and run down. The pool area was full of drunk, nasty looking bikers and their ole ladies.

I used to be a biker's ole lady, so I know what I'm taking about.
I was there with my children and grandchildren. We had reserved 3 rooms.
I ask to see the rooms. The clerk said she would show us the one down stairs, the other 2 up stairs would be just like the down stairs room.
She also told me that we would have to pay even if we didn't stay. I ask how much, she
said all of it.
I am 60 years old and I have seen a lot of bad rooms in my life time. But, I didn't even have to see this room. It smelled like pee so badly that my eyes watered up. My daughter almost threw up.
The clerk said it was because we were by the river!
I guess that is why the carpet was so dirty you could not see what color it had been.
We called out credit card company and they were already trying to charge the rooms to our card and we had not checked in. Of course, we explained the situation and they stopped the transaction.
The total bill was for almost $400.00.
We rented the most beautiful deluxe cabin with 8 flat screen tv's. pool table, 3 levels on a lake for $35.00 more.

The Hofbrau Riverfront Hotel needs to be tore down. And, if I wouldn't sleep there, I sure will not eat there!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The Good:
We never moved our car once! We could walk to everything in downtown Helen. We even walked all the way to Alpine Putt Putt which is on the other side of the Alpine Village. Our room was huge! It was like a mini apartment, if it had a kitchenett 2 ppl could live in the space. The hot tub and kind size bed was a plus and for the price of our room the amenities couldn't be beat.
The Bad:
The office had a terrible smell of smoke and since our room was in the same building everynow and then we would get a wif of smoke. There was also and "old" smell, not mold or anything, just that maybe the room hadn't bee aired out or the air conditioning hadn't been running. Our room overall seemed clean (towels, sheets, floor, shower, etc.) However, the jacuzzi did seem to have some sort of film on it and there were a couple of throw pillows with some suspect stains (we decided to call it red wine for our piece of mind.) The official web site and a few other sites say that the hotel is pet friendly (one of the reasons we decided to stay), but when we called to make the reservation only one room in the whole hotel is pet friendly. Dissappointed about that and because we had to find someone to keep our dog when we really wanted to bring him along. We didn't need it but if you like 24hr office staff they are not open 24hrs. I think the girl said they leave at 10:00pm and open at 8:00am.
The ugly:
The rooms definatley need soem updating. There is bad/loud wall paper and panneling on the walls and the furniture and bedding could use an update. We were expecting this so we weren't disappointed.

As long as you go to this hotel not expecting the hilton, I think it is a good hotel for the price, ammenities, and location.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2009

filthy, dirty, mildew, cobwebs, stale smell, and that is the good features. Upon ariving they printed out my reservation with the price I was quoted. Girl said they could not give us that low price and Amber who made the reservations was fired because she made that mistake a few times. If that was true, why weren't we called and told the price would be more? It was the 4th of July and all hotels were booked so we decided to only stay 2 nights instead of 5 to make up the price difference. I wanted to speak to the manager. The girl at desk said she already spoke to him and he said to lower the price but still $100 dollars more then originally told. They are running a scam. We had no choice but stay anywhere else if you are visiting Helen. We filed a complaint at the welcome center and they have forms to do this. Said they get many complaints about this place. Also fruit flys all over room and especially at continental breakfast. There are hundreds around the orange juice machine.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple