“Great Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 5 Helen B&B and Inns
Davisboro, Georgia, United States
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had a recent bike rally in Helen we filled up 31 room here and it was great. staff very helpful with anything we needed. The ones that want to go tubing on the river that passes right by the hotel just had to tell the front desk and a bus picked them up and dropped them off after the trip down the river. Agreat time had by all

2 Thank Randy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cumming Ga
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel was the worst experience of my life. I have never stayed somewhere that was so incredibly dirty. The first room we were put in was covered in black mold. We asked the lady at the front to move us to another room. The next room looked much nicer, but upon closer inspection, we found that everything was covered in dog hair. The pillow cases, sheets, and floor were covered in dog hair. When I went back to the front office to tell the lady we could not stay there, she got attitude with me and told me that the OWNER had his dog in that room. I guess they don't change the sheets or vaccuum,. Finally she agreed to move us in yet another room that was also full of mold and every surface was sticky. Everything about this hotel was unacceptable. If you are looking for a deal, try the Riverbend. It is $30 cheaper a night, closer to the strip and MUCH nicer.

3 Thank Larkin S

Travelers are raving about these Helen hotels

Arab, AL
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Probably not....

Hotel is very old and ran down. We stayed one night in a room and then the toilet broke would not flush. They moved us to another room, it had not been cleaned in a long time. There was dirt all over the floor and everywhere. The toilet seat was broke in this room and would pinch you when you set down. no remote for the tv, I had to program the new remote because they couldn't figure out how... REALLY?? I called about the dirt and toilet seat they were supposed to come and clean... never did... supposed to change the seat.... never did... I asked to be moved to another room they did not have one available.. there solution for the broken toilet seat... put a towel on it... And the beds were horrible.. they both slanted down.. so you felt like you were going to roll out.

Sooooo.... Would I stay again.... no..... Would I recommend it......defiantly no...

The people working at the hotel was about the only good thing about it...........they were nice....

Room Tip: choose a different hotel maybe/...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wondering71
Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Although we did not stay at the hotel we did stop at the restaurant. I wouldn't say it was the best menu ever but it was good. I didn't want anything off their lunch menu so they brought me their dinner menu and told me what was available from it. I thought that was pretty nice. I ended up ordering off their lunch menu and it was ok. The desserts were not as good as I expected except for the apple strudel. Go for the apple strudel! So all in all it was ok. What was most enjoyable was watching the people tubing down the river from the table. They were falling off tubes, chasing tubes, losing belongings, helping each other, dogs on tubes, laughing, and enjoying life. Kept my son occupied watching as they come down the river constantly. All in all a nice place to stop in and eat. As my 7 year old said, "I'd come back here!".

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cuppajojo
Waterloo, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Michelle at the front desk is an asset to this hotel! She is helpful and friendly! The hotel was a good value with easy access and charming atmosphere. The bathroom could have been cleaner and that is the only negative I saw. Overall a great experience.

2 Thank cheryl e
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I spent 3 nights here with a motorcycle group. When I checked in, the room was stuffy and "fragrant." The A/C had been off, but a couple of hours on high made the room comfortable. Wallpaper was dated and faded, and the mattresses were old. the shower had lots of hot water. Room had a small refrigerator and microwave. Frugal guests can shop at the market a short one block away, and prepare basic snacks in the room. The hotel is on the river, and guests can walk down from the deck to wade in the river. Staff was friendly and responsive. Continental breakfast was basic, but free. The price was right, and if you are not particular about having a new room, you would be comfortable here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JD H
Statesboro, Georgia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It is such a shame that a hotel as nice as this was 15 years ago has fallen into complete ruin. We checked several rooms trying to find the best of the worst. The rooms are musty (a good spraying of air freshener helped significantly), decor extremely old, and mattresses worn out completely (some were even sloping to the side). The rooms on the river look like they have been neglected for years - doors didn't open and shut properly and the beds were even worse than the main rooms. In each room we viewed, a small microwave was placed on top of a small fridge which was sitting in a corner by the beds. There is a deck area by the river which was completely overcrowded with mismatched, dirty furniture. The pool furniture was the same way - dirty and old. The pool does not gradually deepen; the 3ft almost immediately becomes 5 which was a complete surprise for my 4 year old as she almost went under. Breakfast was a joke; I could have gone to the local gas station for the same breakfast. I am very disappointed in the condition of this hotel. Very sad; good location but not worth staying. The night we stayed she was practically giving rooms away to get people in but still overpriced for the condition and I think we were overcharged in the end. When you see a sign that says no refunds at all - don't pay for a room. If we had not been so worn out and in need of a bed, we would have moved on to a different hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here; try another hotel. If you do stay - I wouldn't recommend a riverside room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family