“The perfect end to our vacation”

Riverbend Motel & Cabins
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Bonneau Beach, SC
“The perfect end to our vacation”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I spent 7/7/13 - 7/11/13 in Cherokee and Bryson City. I wanted to go see this little town of Helen, Ga since I had always heard about it but never been. We got there late Thursday afternoon, the 11th of July. Drove around a little and pulled up to Riverbend. When I met Marc, after the first 5 minutes, I felt like I had known him for years. What a funny, friendly guy and very much wanting to please his patrons. He was helpful with suggestions of where to eat and what to do that evening and the next day. The room we stayed in had just been remodeled and was one of the nicest rooms, and I might add cleanest, that I have ever stayed in and was definitely worth the money. I don't know who the very few are that have given this place a negative review, but I have a feeling that they are the type that complain about everything, anywhere they go. I live in a small lake area of S.C. and I can't wait to go back to Helen and spend some more time and YES, we will be staying at Riverbend. Thanks Marc for your hospitality and we look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: Take a few extra minutes to speak with Marc and you will become a regular also.
2 Thank Candy V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Dalton, Georgia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed the week of the 4th of July 2013 and had a BLAST! Our room was great as well as the view. We got some rain but we that didn't matter at all. We brought our dog as this is a pet friendly place. Marc, the owner, was awesome and made our vacation memorable. We would highly recommend! Will be back Memorial Weekend!!

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2013

After this first experience, I'm going back next month (sans family-personal retreat)!!!!
From the moment of check in until we had to leave, we felt at home. The staff if personable, friendly and fun :). The room was just right, clean and a view that was soul satisfying.
We checked in in an afternoon.... By that evening, the staff was calling us by name. My daughter was thrilled with the 'continental' breakfasts and being greeted in the mornings like she was a VIP. The housecleaning crew was generous with our requests and their time.
I just logged on the website to check availability/book for my personal trip back, and am truly amazed at some recent reviews. As a small business owner, I understand how an Internet review can harm a business. I read those and can only imagine there was poor communication from the guests. It happens. It has happened to me (I am an event florist- not a hotel owner). I have only had wonderful experiences in this hotel- a home away from home. I do believe if we had any issues, had we taken them to Mark and staff, they would have been resolved.
All I can give is my opinion (and I happen to be picky, but a realist). THIS PLACE ROCKS!!! Just go sit on the swings with the moon shining on the river and you'll understand. I will (and have) recommend this hotel any day of the week!
I can't wait to come back next month, Mark (et al)!!!!!
Now- how to shove You and Helen a few+ miles closer to the NC coast.....?!!!!!!

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room :) We met many other vacationers, and everyone seemed quite satisfied. We...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wellford
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Once again we have stayed at Riverbend. As usual we had a wonderful visit. It seems every time we stay here Mark has done something new to improve the rooms. Anytime there is even a minor request, he is right there to make things right! We would not even consider staying anywhere else. I can't imagine why someone would write some of the negative reviews I have read. They obviously did not take concerns to Mark.

Sarasota, FL
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Sorry to say, but the whole place was just plain gross! We stayed there because they are pet friendly. I didn't even let my 9lb white dog walk on the carpets they were sooo sticky and dirty.
The sheets did look clean, I will give them that! I slept with my clothes on. I did do a thorough bed bug check, and found none. Thank goodness! Our room was non smoking, but it stunk like old stale cigarettes. Bathroom not clean. We could not wait to leave in the morning!!! I have no idea how anyone could possible give this motel a good rating. The motel is conveniently placed in the town, but I would have preferred a 5-15 minute drive for a clean room. Do yourself a favor and skip this one!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: My tip to travelers is,"SKIP THIS MOTEL!"
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jakeandlily
Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We came here for a family reunion in June 2013 and this was the worst place I had ever stayed in. I honestly don't know how anyone could possibly write a positive review about this place, it has to be a fake made up by the management. First of all, they list an outdoor pool on their website and come to find out there is no pool. They also have a picture of waterslides listed on the amenities section of their website, however the waterslides do not belong to them and you have to pay extra for that. The rooms were smelly and not kept up, very dingy. The property itself was not kept up, there were swings along the river that most were broken or looked like if you sat on it you would fall. The cabins were old, smelled like mold, afraid we were going to get bed bugs. I had to complain numerous times because we had no room service for two days, our garbage was getting full, we were running out of towels. The people who run this place clearly are only trying to make a few extra dollars as much as they can until this place falls in the ground, which it is slowly approaching. The continental breakfast was a joke, I had to ask for juice for the kids and nothing looked fresh. Also, we were quoted a rate of $159 per night for the cabins and the people who run this place said it was a mistake, the person who gave us that rate was incorrect and it was $179, so they weren't even professional enough to give us the rate we were originally given. The management did nothing to help accommodate our stay, they were rude and crass. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy, it was the most horrid place I had ever been to....please don't waste your money here!! I saw so many other hotels in the area that would have been so much better than this dump!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Shannon H
Mark M, Manager at Riverbend Motel & Cabins, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear, Shannon H:

We would like to thank you for your recent stay with us at the Riverbend Motel & Cabins. Your satisfaction and business mean the world to us. We understand your frustration during your previous stay and we would like to reach out to you to clear any misunderstandings.

If by chance, there is a misrepresentation of our hotel services and amenities, please direct us in that direction so that we are able to quickly and efficiently correct any mistakes. In regards to the cleanliness of our chalets and housekeeping services, a member of your party denied service from our housekeeping staff on all three occasions. Any and all complaints from guests are kept in a log to ensure efficient service and later analyzed for staff improvements. As a guest, you failed to notify any member of the staff regarding any dissatisfaction during your stay, and, therefore, the unfortunate truth is that we cannot correct any mistakes if we are not aware of them. Lastly, your original reservation was scheduled for three night at $159.99 per night, plus tax, but that is not what you paid. Although you and your party stayed for three night, you only paid for two nights at the originally quoted price of $159.99.

Through your negligence as a guest, your miscommunication with your party, and your lack of honesty as a patron you have misrepresented all of the hardworking and honest staff members at this establishment. This is a small, family business that prides itself on delivering friendly and professional service to all of our guests. If you sincerely believe that we have mistreated you or any member of your party during your stay please promptly notify any member of the staff and we will do everything we can to correct any wrongdoing on our part.

Mark Merchant | Owner and Operator
The Riverbend Motel and Cabins
T: 706.878.2155 | E: riverbendmotel@windstream.net
Seneca, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Riverbend is a beautiful, convenient place to stay. Our reservations were for the moth of June 3rd-8th of 2013. My father had passed away so we had to cancel. I called to cancel our reservations May 3rd, 2013. It was a lady I talked to I called in between 8:30 am to 9:15 I wa am. I had never had to cancel reservations before so therefor did not know the procedure. When I spoke to the woman after telling her my situation, I ask was there anything I needed and she said," No honey I will take care of this for you." So I was not aware that I needed a confirmation number for cancelling our reservations. Well, June 3rd I get an email confirmation that our reservations had been canceled due to no show therefore they had taken a one nights stay deposit out of our bank account which of course put out account in the negative, as soon as I noticed this I called Riverbend and spoke with Mark the owner. He said he would take care of it and it is now July 16, 2013 still not refund and when I talk to him it seems to be the same thing,"We will take care of it for you and process you a refund" I am aware by now we will not be receiving our money back. Will never stay or schedule a vacation with this place again. Oh and just on a personal not we have been staying at Mark's properties since 1999 usually 5-7 times a year.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family