“Second time stay”

Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We took the family up to the barrel cabins for the second time and we had a wonderful time. The lake was amazing and the sounds of the forest was phenomenal. We barbequed on the grill and even made s'mores. The bugs stayed outside and the cool air stayed inside. Everything was clean and supplies were sufficient. These were the good points. The lady at check in was not very enthusiastic about her job, very blah. The lodge has something to be desired. It is very old fashioned and stuffy. There was a musty smell around. There was a lot of construction going on that impaired the flow of movement about the lodge. The food there is very expensive for what it is. Don't expect any extras in the cabin and i didn't. I was planning to experience this the same way I would experience an RV vacation. The overall experience would still make me come back because of the actual park, trails, falls and the price of the barrel cabin was worth paying considering we were so close to Helen and those amenities. River tubing was great but for a cheaper deal on the same river I would go with the pink rafts of Helen (you will know what I mean when you are there).

Room Tip: The barrel cabins are amazing, the windows block out the noise of the crickets outside.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Very over priced, and my room had ants and smelled terrible. Everything was run down inside the room, including the power outlets - the outlets were so worn that I was unable to keep my phone charger plugged in without it falling out... The comforters smelled like mildew and things weren't very clean. The buffet was almost 24.00 per person, not including a drink - and the food was very poor quality.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 20, 2014

room very nice the lodge and people work their very nice I will try to stay their next year for bike rally if I get alerts on other things would try to come up stay on other events the lake at lodge was very nice the seating's around the lodge was nice every thing about the stay was very good will try to stay hear again

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Alarm went off in Lodge D initially around 2am.. rang for OVER 20 minutes solid!.
Extremely good that no fire occurred... prompt facility reaction was non-existent. Then... alarm
Rang again ... off and on... at least 4 more times between 3 am and 8am.
Each time I called operator/front desk... it was obvious the gal answering the phone wished she were somewhere else. Management could care less. On my last call, I suggest that when the general manager arrive (9 am ish) that he should do something for the inconvenience. Operator said she would convey the message -- Over two weeks have gone by, and I've heard nothing.
What a terrible night, experience, stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, and drive in for the State Park stuff.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Beautiful location, reasonable rates, great customer service, nice rooms. Really liked the facility and the staff interaction. Well kept, flat screen tv's with cable, wi-fi in main building and patios. Desperately in need of a good chef. Food was mediocre at best.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We rented Pavilion #2 which is located at the back of the beach for our sons 4th birthday party. We were very surprised to see it had lights and electrical outlets. The view is quite nice with supurb access to the beach! The pavilion also has a small grill for your use. We were very happy with Pavilion #2!! Will be using again for other family events.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have been to Unicoi as a child, took my son when he was a child and recently had the pleasure of taking 3 grandkids. We enjoyed the nature trails, the local activity in Helen and our stay at the campground. It is a beautiful place, my only complaint is the occasional litter we found on the trails. The staffing is less than previous stays but then the economy has had an impact. I would recommend this gem to anyone and will return more often now that I am retired.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family