“Nice Campground But Dirty Bathrooms”

Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We visited Unicoi after Easter for three nights. We camped in a tent. The campground was beautiful and we really enjoyed it but the bathrooms left a lot to be desired. When we first arrived both toilets in the ladies room had feces on them. The showers were okay but one had four bars of used bar soap placed in the corners. The toilets were not cleaned the whole time we were there!! Very Gross!! The trash in the bathroom was not emptied our entire stay and by the end it was really smelling!! The men's room had no soap and we ended up going into town and purchasing hand soap to leave in the bathroom. If the bathrooms would have been cleaned daily I would give it a 5 star.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Amber M
JT_Coggins, Front Office Manager at Unicoi State Park & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The condition of the bathroom was unacceptable and changes have been made to prevent this from occurring again in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I've been to this lodge several times over the years for different events. It is a little outdated and looks the same as always but I have no issue with that. It was clean, cute and convenient for the event. However, I do think that the rooms are over priced. This time because of the event our party was given a discount on the rooms, so that was reasonable. Prior to this I've been there with no discount and wasn't too pleased. I like the common area outside there rooms. It's cozy and nice for socializing with others in your party. It was quiet and the beds are fine.
The staff is amazingly pleasant and friendly. I can't say enough about how friendly everyone was - from the front desk staff to the gift shop staff. That' s real plus.
What I didn't like was that when trying to reserve a room I called several times and I was given the option to leave a message. Same thing occurred after my arrival and I attempted to call the front desk as we'll as housekeeping. No one answered the phone. Bizarre... Another con is the way overpriced food in their restaurants. One restaurant is like a bar. The other is a buffet. The food is so ridiculously overpriced. The bar food tasted like something from the frozen food section at the grocery store. The breakfast buffet tasted seriously like the school lunchroom - institutional. Some of the fruit was frozen, the eggs were cold and tasteless. I was so disappointed. I paid $22.00 for a breakfast 2 of us simply didn't eat. Since the lodge is away from the town this is the only option you have unless you drive into Helen.
Overall this lodge is located in a lovely part of North Georgia but the lodge itself is average and the food is below par.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the lodge, ask if there are large parties or events so you can be placed el...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for providing us with feedback. I would like to personally apologize about your reservation issues. I will pass on your restaurant feedback to the appropriate person so that it can be addressed. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

The park is beautiful, not only the landscape but it is clearly maintained very well. We have 2 young boys who attended the easter egg hunt. The "Friends of Unicoi" were so creative and generous. Our family enjoyed all of the activities they planned out. We were very surprised at this as we had expected just an egg hunt- and that was expertly organized! We will definitely visit for easter weekend next year! We were however terribly disappointed in the lodge breakfast. It was ridiculously overpriced and the food was hardly edible. The staff were friendly, but very slow to fill food on the buffet. When my family and I were able to get a plate of food, it was nothing short of disgusting. State park lodge food is usually outstanding and we were looking forward to having breakfast there.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your kind comments on the park and the egg hunt event, we were glad to have you and your family. As for the restaurant, I would like to apologize for the quality of your food. I will pass on your comments to the appropriate parties and make sure that this is addressed. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

would highly recommend - had the privilege of seeing and reporting the first bear citing of the season, a story that will be repeated over and over - four adults, a five year old and a two year old slept quite comfortably - there is even room to make a tented area under the stair case if you wanted to make it more adventurous for the kiddos

Room Tip: If you want rustic but not in a tent, then this is your place to be - Had a 5 year old who loved bei...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The barrel cabins are a neat experience for sure. I can't believe that you saw the first bear sighting, I'm still waiting to see one this season. I hope that you make Unicoi a destination of choice for years to come. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

The rooms are a little dated, but they are in the process of updating everything. Rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and genuinely cared how our experience was. We will definitely return. The grounds were beautiful.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Parking too far from my handicap room. No refrigerator or microwave in handicap room room. I travel a lot participating in charity rides for Veterans, Law Enforcement and other needy causes. I usually get much better rooms at half the price of this lodge. I will not stay at this establishment again. Not worth the price and inconvience.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for providing your feedback. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

P: 706-878-2201 x 412

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Love the double campsite. This is the first time we had camped on a double site having electric and water.
The bathrooms were clean and the heat was turned on so that you didn't get cold taking a shower
Great trails around the lake

Room Tip: We stayed in the campground