“Unicoi Lodge, dated but decent”

Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Unicoi Lodge is not rustic, its not charming, it's not up-to-date, but it's in a great location in a state park and our room in A building was clean and functional. The TV was old school and small, with an up - down remote (no direct selection). The free Wi Fi worked great, but I wish I could have plugged my IPad into the TV. The bathroom was dated, the furnishings in the room non-descript, but everything worked as it should and we slept well for two nights. You know how some hotel rooms are so plush you want to stay in them a while longer? Well, not this room, but that's OK, there is a lot to do in Helen and surrounding areas, you want to get out anyway. Very friendly employees. Both mornings when we went to breakfast in need of coffee, people cheerfully called out "good morning!" and made a point to speak to us. The breakfast buffet was good, a little pricey. The central Lodge area was more modern than our room, and I can see why there are a lot of conferences there. Would we go back? For the right nightly price, yes. I have seen some of the normal rates there, I would not pay that. It's no Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn Express, but it is in a great location, and it is quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for Building A. It has a great view down a hill and the unloading area is closest.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TABKAtlanta
There are newer reviews for Unicoi State Park & Lodge

Reviewed April 12, 2013

As you drive in to the lodge area, your excitement can't help but build. This is a beautiful national and state park area in Georgia. Check in, meet smiling faces, then go to your room. That's where the beauty stops. We were able to obtain a room in the A building. Thank goodness, because it is the one building that has been renovated. I can only imagine the other buildings. The smell of, well let's just say the smell, reminds me of an antique store. The carpet in the hallways looked like they had been vacuumed. Clearly, nothing else had the dust removed. The phone in the room was full of dust, as was the table it sat on. The room is tiny. I mean tiny! The lodge, itself, is pretty, well appointed, and comfortable. Unfortunately, the rooms are not like the lodge. We did have a couple extra guests. We had visitor roaches two nights in a row. Housekeeping is poor, also. The tiny bathroom has tiny soap, and not enough of it. Guests should not have to ask. It should be replenished.

If you can get a good deal, from a daily deals site, it is worth it. If you have to pay full price, I advise you to look elsewhere. Unfortunately, you are near Helen, and won't find much else. Overall, the kids had fun. That is what matters.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank chippyarm
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very friendly staff.
Hiking trails, both long and short, leave directly from the parking area, one even going to downtown Helen, GA
Anna Ruby Falls is only about a 3 mile drive from the Lodge--don't miss is!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Great quiet place for a get away. The rooms are clean & simple and the breakfast buffet is very good. If you are looking for night life this is not the place. Go to Unicoi for peace and quiet. There are numerous attractions nearby and downtown Helen is within 5 minutes.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The area around the lodge is beautiful and it is peaceful outside. The room itself was okay except we were put in the last room on the first floor and heard everyone come in and out all day and night. There was some kind of loud mechanical sound going off every hour day and night also. The shower stayed on while the tub ran which did not set well with my wife.

The room is comfortable enough but we would have loved a queen size bed instead of double beds which would have provided more room. We will look at a cottage / cabin next time. The staff was very nice and we would stay again with a groupon or some other discount.

Room Tip: Nothing near the entrance / exit door.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My fiance and I are total nature buffs. We recently took a roadtrip from Ohio to Florida and made a day long stop in Helen to enjoy Unicoi State Park and spend the night in the lodge there. We arrived, and had used groupon to purchase the room. The room was just okay and if you're planning on finding any restraunts within a 10 mile radius that isn't totally turkish, german, or overpriced...good luck. After eating, we decided to go take pictures and hike around the water fall, Ruby Falls. It's a three dollar per person fee..which isn't a big deal. But when you go to the lift gate to pay- no one was working. We went to the visitor center to pay someone there..no one was there. We called back to lodge who recommended we check out the falls and the host literally said "Huh..well usually if they decide to leave early they tell us but I guess not today. I don't know what to tell you." Unprofessional. SOOO- we decide to go relax back at the hotel. Hard beds, and the smallest tv I've ever seen at a hotel. Luckily they have a game room...which consists of one ping pong table..which was taken by a family of 4. Two at the ping pong table..the other two playing on the floor at a coffee table. They do however offer broken board games if you ask for them at the front desk (jenga and checkers with missing pieces). We finally checked out the next morning and was charged 9.95 just to park in the parking lot there. Don't waste your time at Unicoi. It was a joke.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kelly b
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had a Living Social deal for Unicoi Lodge in Unicoi State Park near the 'alpine' village of Helen, Georgia. A short drive from Atlanta leads to a gorgeous rural and mountain setting. The lodge nestled in the large state park is welcoming and homey. My double bed room had a nice seating area with two comfy chairs and a table near a large window onlooking a heavily wooded area so lots of privacy and opportunity to watch birds and squirrels. There was a chest with drawers for longer stays and an adequate work table. Though I didn't use it, WiFi is available. The bathroom was large enough for my needs and had a hair dryer. The room had an iron and board, in room coffee maker and large open closet area for luggage and hanging clothes. I was in Building A and it was small enough to seem cozy but had breezeways connecting A to the rest of the buildings. A large stone gas fireplace (fires are lit October through April 1st) with plush seating, table with chairs and large TV were in the area just outside my room. This would be great for large family reunions or groups traveling together. Ice and vending was just down the hall with recycling for cans. A large balcony at the back of the building is just off the common area complete with massive rustic adirondack chairs and a table. Had the weather been warmer, I would have spent a great deal of time on this balcony even in the evening to listen to the frogs chirping in the trees. The lodge has lots of large windows so guests can look out at nature. The plaza in the center of the lodge buildings has numerous gliders, chairs and benches, all providing a view of the surrounding mountains. Parking from our building was a short and easy walk but there is a loading zone with 15 minute covered parking adjacent to the building. Numerous trails surround the lodge and Federal park, Anna Ruby Falls, is contained within Unicoi though it requires a separate admission fee. It's well worth the fee and the 0.4 mile slightly elevated hike up the path to see the falls - quite beautiful. Unicoi Park itself is a favorite destination for my family and has camping and picnic facilities along with bathrooms in several locations. Only one mile away is the alpine village of Helen. While many of the shops in Helen are seasonal, many were open early and the village can be easily explored in an hour or two. There is a Dutch owned import shop with many Dutch items in the center of town and several other interesting shops containing hand made and imported items. You can walk to all shops and restaurants though parking ($3 - $5 at most lots) is charged within in the city. A mile out of Helen in the other direction is Nacoochee Valley and Sautee Village. Habersham Wineries is here with a large assortment of locally produced wine and wine tasting. A great antique shop is also there in a beautiful old historic house. Just across the street on the river is an original grist mill, Nora Mills, which offers a great selection of on site ground meal, grits, oats and porridge along with a wide assortment of locally produced relishes, jams and honey. A new coffee roaster is just beside the mill with a large assortment of coffee. Zipline tours, horseback riding, hiking and mini golf are all available. And beginning September through end of October, Helen hosts Octoberfest complete with polka bands, leiderhosen clad musicians, traditional German dance, lots of schnitzel and beer. A short drive out of Helen leads to other small North Georgia mountain towns and it's only a couple of hours to Cherokee North Carolina and Harrah's Casino. I've visited both Helen and Unicoi State Park many times, but because Unicoi Lodge usually sells out during leaf season, I have never had a chance to visit there. With a friendly and helpful staff, well maintained and clean accommodations, a cozy, family feel of the lodge and being surrounded by nature, I will definitely return. Awesome destination for a quick weekend getaway to recharge internal batteries and get back to basics. The lodge is equally suited to families, large family gatherings, couples looking for a romantic escape, friends or even for the solo traveler. Business travelers can also benefit as the conference center has many business related, as well as cultural, amenities. And staying here at the lodge helps support our great natural resources, our treasured state parks.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2 in A lodge - easy access to several exterior doors, communal area with fireplace...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends