“Buffet was AWESOME!!”

Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We rented a home in Helen Ga in June 2012. On our way to the area falls we came across the lodge and decided to try the breakfast buffet. All I can say is WOW - I guess the prior criticisms resulted in actions. We were so impressed with the breakfast we returned that night for dinner and were equally impressed - the fried chicken was just amazing, as were the sides, and other choices. We enjoyed our food so much we returned once again for dinner. The staff is extremely attentive and pleasant. The only criticism I can even address is the desserts were not that impressive, maybe we were just too full!!! We will definitely return again while in the Helen area!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CMAX4

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed at the"Lodge" for a wedding in December, 2012.
The only thing to like was the waitresses at the restaurant.
But if you like:
A bathroom about the size of a shoebox
A heater that is as noisy as a car starting in your room
A heater that blows the driest air this side of the Sahara desert
A bathroom that I left a side of beef hanging in because it was the best freezer I found in Georgia
Pillows the thickness of a dime
A TV that will take you back to your childhood of Black and White
NO internet access
Toilets that flush to the sound of a Boeing 737 taking off
Water pressure similar to a light mist in the Amazon

Then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Bill C
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Didnt really like the unicoi.The staff are pretty nice though.I dont think your going to have a very good time.Heres my review.

likes:Restraunt, staff, attractions

dislikes:hard bed,small tv,views,The sign that says theirs a game room when theirs not

I never really put poor reviews, but i dont think you should stay here.This is nicer then a motel 6 but i think y
ou should choose to stay in the helen area.

Room Tip: Try this place once. if you think its poor or terrible stay in helen.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank carson s
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant in the lodge at Unicoi State Park served a buffet supper the Saturday night we dined there. Cost was $13.95 per person plus $1.50 for a non- alcoholic beverage. My husband liked the fried trout, but my only non-fish option was tough beef tips. Three veggies were offered; two were heavy on broccoli. The squash casserole was undercooked. The salad bar was ordinary, but it was the best food of the meal. I asked twice for HOT water to make my cup of tea, but I received lukewarm water both times. Service was what one would expect from a buffet: Bring the drinks and pick up the dirty plates, but it was friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank ChartreuseBuzzard
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Unicoi State Park because I was a bridesmaid in a wedding there. Although I did not get to explore due to wedding duties, I was pleasantly surprised. I had read reviews that the food was not good anymore and that the rooms were bad. While the brides room did have a musty smell, my room was fine. It is older and the rooms do need remodeling, but they are starting a huge renovation in a month or so.

The food at the lodge was excellent in my opinion! They have a great breakfast buffet and the trout are AMAZING at night! A small store carries some handmade items as well, so be sure to check it out! It is on the same floor as the restaurant.

While I didn't get to explore the whole park, what I did see was GORGEOUS! My husband and children even saw a black bear while they explored. Apparently this is very common.

My husband was impressed enough to want to take a yearly trip to Unicoi, and that says a lot. We went in early October and the weather was nice and the leaves were just beginning to change colors. It was cool enough to take outdoor wedding pictures without sweating, so the temps were cool on the morning and warm in the afternoon, but not too warm. Perfect really.

I can't wait to return when I can explore the area and see what the lodge looks like after the renovations!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank lmjarvis
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed one night at the lodge. It is kind of old and worn, but felt comfortable. Upon arrival, the room smelled a little musty or something, so we opened the windows, aired it out and it was fine. We decided to eat at the restaurant on the property. It was a buffet and was great. The fried shrimp and roast beef were just right. Folks were friendly and helpful. All in all, it is dated and the outside areas need repair, but it was ok.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tweetyman
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The property needs to be refurbished. The rooms were clean and the beds were OK, but the room A/C heat pump was so noisy that it had to be turned off during the night; and as a result, the room got very cold. The doors to the hallway were peeling their paint, and the carpets in the conference center meeting rooms were threadbare and frayed. For the price of the room, it is not a good bargain.

The lodge restaurant used to be a very good southern country buffet. The one night I ate there the food was overcooked and dry. Definitely many steps down hill from what it used to be.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo