“A+ Price for B- food”

Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant in the lodge at Unicoi State Park served a buffet supper the Saturday night we dined there. Cost was $13.95 per person plus $1.50 for a non- alcoholic beverage. My husband liked the fried trout, but my only non-fish option was tough beef tips. Three veggies were offered; two were heavy on broccoli. The squash casserole was undercooked. The salad bar was ordinary, but it was the best food of the meal. I asked twice for HOT water to make my cup of tea, but I received lukewarm water both times. Service was what one would expect from a buffet: Bring the drinks and pick up the dirty plates, but it was friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank ChartreuseBuzzard

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Unicoi State Park because I was a bridesmaid in a wedding there. Although I did not get to explore due to wedding duties, I was pleasantly surprised. I had read reviews that the food was not good anymore and that the rooms were bad. While the brides room did have a musty smell, my room was fine. It is older and the rooms do need remodeling, but they are starting a huge renovation in a month or so.

The food at the lodge was excellent in my opinion! They have a great breakfast buffet and the trout are AMAZING at night! A small store carries some handmade items as well, so be sure to check it out! It is on the same floor as the restaurant.

While I didn't get to explore the whole park, what I did see was GORGEOUS! My husband and children even saw a black bear while they explored. Apparently this is very common.

My husband was impressed enough to want to take a yearly trip to Unicoi, and that says a lot. We went in early October and the weather was nice and the leaves were just beginning to change colors. It was cool enough to take outdoor wedding pictures without sweating, so the temps were cool on the morning and warm in the afternoon, but not too warm. Perfect really.

I can't wait to return when I can explore the area and see what the lodge looks like after the renovations!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank lmjarvis
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed one night at the lodge. It is kind of old and worn, but felt comfortable. Upon arrival, the room smelled a little musty or something, so we opened the windows, aired it out and it was fine. We decided to eat at the restaurant on the property. It was a buffet and was great. The fried shrimp and roast beef were just right. Folks were friendly and helpful. All in all, it is dated and the outside areas need repair, but it was ok.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tweetyman
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The property needs to be refurbished. The rooms were clean and the beds were OK, but the room A/C heat pump was so noisy that it had to be turned off during the night; and as a result, the room got very cold. The doors to the hallway were peeling their paint, and the carpets in the conference center meeting rooms were threadbare and frayed. For the price of the room, it is not a good bargain.

The lodge restaurant used to be a very good southern country buffet. The one night I ate there the food was overcooked and dry. Definitely many steps down hill from what it used to be.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is my first trip to helen, & we are staying in the honeymoon retreat cabin at unicoi state park. It is only a couple miles from downtown helen, but at the same time the cabin is very secluded and private. Nice front porch, big king bed, full kitchen, jacuzzi spa next to the bed. There is a wood burning stove here & they center put some pieces of firewood outside if you want to have a fire. Very cute, clean, comfortable, affordable cabin. Would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: The honeymoon retreat cabin is super nice! I highly recommend it!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed at the park lodge this past weekend during our mountain fall trip our way to Asheville, NC. True, it isn't fancy . . . but for the price, who cares? It was clean and tidy. The rooms had basically just the basics . . . beds, shower, sink, climate control. BUT, unlike some rustic mountain retreats, it did have a TV with cable! Also, we did eat at the buffet. Again, not fancy but reasonably priced. The catch of the day - Georgia mountain trout - was fresh and delicious (though, in fairness, I must say it was served with the head on. Yikes.) All in all, as a Georgia resident, I was impressed and appreciative that my state tax dollars are wisely spent here to make our stay affordable. We are excited to return after the upgrades is completed next year!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank augustabelle
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our family rented a barrel cabin this weekend. The cabin was not fancy but was efficient and made great use of the space of the rental. The only negative aspect was the cabins were unable to be drove to. You must walk down steps to the cabins. This is very inconvient when carrying items for a family weekend. This would not be handicap accessible or small child friendly. The hiking trails were well maintained. The lodge staff were friendly and helpful. Enjoyed kayaking on Lake Unicoi. Restful and very convienent to Helen, GA.

Room Tip: If renting the barrel cabins-choose the lower numbers (Ex. A or B 1). All the cabins must be walked...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family