“Best Gluten Free Pizza around!”

The Nacoochee Village Tavern & Pizzeria
Ranked #4 of 71 Restaurants in Helen
Cuisines: Italian, American, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Clarkesville, Georgia
“Best Gluten Free Pizza around!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

They also have wonderful non-gluten free pizzas, but since I'm allergic to gluten, this place makes me very happy. We try to go during the week because it can get very busy on weekends. Love their salads and they have a great selection of sandwiches, too. They usually have interesting specials...pizza and other stuff. Wonderful Habersham wines, too! LOVE this place!!!

Visited June 2013
spreadhead77, Owner at The Nacoochee Village Tavern & Pizzeria, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thanks for the great review. We are proud that you enjoy what we do . I love the fact that as a local you took the time to do a review . We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

“A month later and my craving for pizza from Nacoochee Tavern reminded me to write a review.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I, my wife and two couples visited Nacoochee Tavern on a rainy Saturday night over a month ago. We went on the recommendation from the owner of Hofer's, another restaurant in Helen.

We stood at the bar and had drinks and popcorn while we waited to be seated. The restaurant was packed and there was a line at the door - we were still seated in less than 20 minutes.

Simply put, the pizzas we shared were some of the best we'd ever eaten. Everyone always seems to have different opinions about foods like pizza, barbeque or ethnic dishes, but for me personally, Nacoochee Tavern served the perfect pizza. The crust was crisp on the bottom, tender on top, layered with a tangy sauce, fresh ingredients and cheese that was as good as any I've had from pizza shops in Italian neighborhoods from Pittsburgh to Philly to New York.

On the server's recommendation we ended the meal with Sticky Buns - home baked cinnamon sugar spoonbread served with warm cream - it was amazing. We were already full from the pizzas, so one order was enough to share. The warm cream that surrounded the sticky buns was so delicious that one of the guys at our table took out a straw and drank what was left in the bowl.

I can't wait to visit Helen again. I had no idea that I'd find my favorite pizza joint tucked away in a little Alpine village in the North Georgia mountains.

• Visited April 2013
Thanks for the awesome review. I love it that everything was perfect for you and i must remember to thank Ralph the owner of Hoffers for sending you our way. We all look forward to seeing you again when your in the area.
Winterville, Georgia
“Worth a second trip”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Pizza here was great. Enjoyed by entire family even with picky eaters. Now we make sure we stop by every time we go to Helen.

• Visited June 2012
spreadhead77, Owner at The Nacoochee Village Tavern & Pizzeria, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thanks for the great review . I am glad we have attained some more regular repeat customers. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Tega Cay, South Carolina
“Ok pizza joint”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Liked:The pizza was decent and the price was average. Looked like they had a variety of beer.
Disliked: very eclectic staff - kinda distracting

Visited May 2013
1 Thank lv2relax_13
I am sorry you thought our establishment was just ok . I am glad you liked your food but i am a dissapointed that you found our eclectic staff a distraction. I feel as if our elective staff is one of our greatest attributes, our team is diverse and made of of many different people of varying ages and backgrounds . I know this is what makes us different from other chain and corporate restaurants and that is intentional . I assume that no one was rude to you or inhospitable and if they were you would have mentioned it. Most of our guests enjoy the staff i am sorry you did not find it endearing.
King George, Virginia
“Not bad”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My friends and I came to Nacoochee's Tavern for lunch while stating in Helen. We had to wait for about twenty minutes for a table to free up. We asked if we could sit outside, but were denied because they said it was a bit wet, and were worried it would start raining again... We sat down and were treated to complimentary popcorn. The popcorn was pretty good, but we asked for a new bowl because there was an old piece of lettuce stuck to the inside of the bowl. We split a pizza since we heard it was supposed to be really good. I love pizza and feel like I am a pretty decent judge when it come to it. The pizza was decent, nothing really to write home about, but not bad at all. If I had a complaint it would be that the crust was so soggy you could barely eat it with your hands, even with the fold method. The service was a bit lacking, maybe I caught some of the staff on an off day, but they didn't seem very happy. The guy who provided us with silverware practically threw it on the table while we were seated. Overall the place wasn't bad, but next time I am in town I will check for another pizza place to see what they have to offer.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank RebelKB475
Sorry for your mediocre experience. We usually excel at all the things you mentioned. I offer you to go by another pizza place in our area then come by here and i will reimburse you for my competitors pizzas and then also buy you a pizza from our place and you can test them . I am sorry for the apparent bad attitude of your server and apologize for it , you are right sometimes people have an off day but that is never an excuse or a reason i would give a customer for what you experienced . I do not know what server you are referring to but i have shared your review with the entire staff and i hope we can learn from our mistake and grow from it. I hope to see you again , you can contact me by phone or through tripadvisor so that we can try the taste test.

Been to The Nacoochee Village Tavern & Pizzeria? Share your experiences!