“Nice Day Hike”
Review of Raven Cliff Falls

Ranked #6 of 41 things to do in Helen
More attraction details
Owner description: Many hiking trails bordered by scenic mountain streams, waterfalls and other scenic vistas abound throughout this 9,115-acre natural reserve.
Augusta, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Nice Day Hike”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We took our time on this hike taking in the fauna and flora and the many water features on the way to the cliffside. We started out early around mid morning figuring that there would not be as many hikers and the air temp would be comfortable. Plan on at least 3 hours for this hike (2.5 miles to the cliff). The trail difficulty is easy to moderate with an easy incline. Although the trails is well maintained, wear good shoes and if possible bring a hiking stick. You will have to navigate over tree roots and rocks. Use bug spray to repel ticks and chiggers. The final destination is the spectacular cliff with a waterfall. Because of the recent rains, the waterfall was showing its full potential. As we were walking back, it became evident that this trail is very popular. Glad that we started the hike early. Lastly,be aware that the bathroom facilities are closed.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Steven W

Beech Island, South Carolina
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“beautiful!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

a beautiful hike to a falls. its a bit of a long walk on your first time but it follows a nice creek. has great picture locations. you can camp along the trail if you want to make a multi day trip of it. well worth the hike.

Visited November 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Not for the faint at heart!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Let me start by saying I'm not in shape. This hike took my BF and I about two hours and it is a climb! It's not paved and you have to jump over puddles, rocks and everything in between. I would recommend not waiting until dusk like we did to begin, wearing tennis shoes or boots and carrying a walking stick. But it was worth it! The cliffs are beautiful and you see diverse people hiking (different races, ages, gender, some with pets, some without) which encourages you along the way. Just be prepared for the amount of time it takes. It's a wonderful stress reliever. *** Restrooms are locked so go before you arrive!

4 Thank ladylovesrome
Norcross, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Wonderful trail, but being loved to death”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have hiked this trail many times over the years. My wife and I decided it would be a nice thing to do over the Memorial Day weekend. As such we anticipated it might be crowded and got there fairly early in the morning. At that point the parking lot was already crowded, but there were a few places left. Anyway the hike was as nice as always. I would echo many of the other positive comments about it, and I consider this the most picturesque short hike in all of north Georgia, and perhaps one of the top 2 or 3 overall. Although, as noted by others, you can climb to the top of the cliffs at the end of the trail, that is really not necessary to have a great experience.
It was a good thing we started when we did, because we encountered increasing numbers of people coming in as we were hiking back out. The scene at the parking area when we got back was ridiculous -- people parked all over the side of the road, in non-parking areas, etc. I feel that this is the kind of heavy over use that is ruining a number of trails in north GA (Panther Creek being another for example) and will eventually result in them being closed to public use because of erosion and trail bed degradation. Amazingly, this not a fee area. Perhaps imposing one and limiting the number of visitors on any given day is something the Forrest Service needs to consider.

3 Thank gaken
Gainesville, Florida
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Relatively easy hike to beautiful falls”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a relatively easy hike. Gentle uphill, well maintained path along Dodd Creek. There are two smaller falls along the way. The climb to the top of the trail is fairly steep, but very short and absolutely worth the small climb. This is the only challenge on the trail, and it isn't that bad. We were there on a busy weekend, but started later in the day. I think the trail would have been much more crowded if we had gone earlier. Lots of good spots for camping along the creek.

The bathrooms at the beginning of the trail were locked, and there aren't many spots along the trail to be discrete. Highly suggest a bathroom stop in Helen. This was Memorial Day weekend, so I would have thought they would be open by then if they close them for the winter season. Budget cutbacks?

3 Thank toujoursparis1