“Comfy place and great location”

Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed December 1, 2010

We stayed here for three nights and had a wonderful time here. The place is very clean and is close to the major attractions in Helen. It's also only a few miles from Anna Ruby Falls and Unicoi lake and hence, was the best place to stay. Our room faced the river and was cute, warm and comfy. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luckyluma

Reviewed November 25, 2010

we saw on the website that the place was updated in 2008.

That simply cannot be true. Our room was awful. The red carpet was stained, wall paper coming off the wall, bathroom drop ceiling was rusty. I was afraid to take my socks off. My wife was not happy with the place and we will not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Pro's: Amazing Location in Helen and also, being close to a few different State Park stops is a plus as well (also, you're only an hour and a half from Atlanta). The staff were better than Ive ever seen in any other of my hotel stays. Acceptably clean. The room had a full functioning oven, microwave and micro-fridge. Over all, the decor of the outside of the buildings was quaint and added to the whole faux-German feeling in the area. The free morning breakfast was a big plus. The free high speed internet was really reliable. The biggest positive though is the fact that its so well priced and they have some great deals through Facebook and their website.

Cons: The hotel doesn't seem to be updated since the 80's, which for us wasn't a huge deal, we love the 80s. Although the cleanliness was acceptable, since the rooms haven't been updated since the 80's, everything seemed used/musty as far as the furniture and other kitchen/bathroom furnishings. Although we enjoyed being on the river front, we also had a view of the large parking lot on the other side of it.

Over all it was one of the best trips we've ever been on.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My husband & I just chose Helendorf Inn as our last stop of our honeymoon. We spent 2 nights there. The room was very old fashion, but very clean & nice. I do recommend a balcony room overlooking the river. It was so relaxing sitting out on the balcony and listening to the river.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Only hotel in Helen that has no weight limit on pets ! Clean linens and Clean baths. The staff is really nice and helpful. The downside is the hotel is very dated and tired.
Simple things like replacing shower heads and brighter light bulbs.
All in all not bad if you want to bring bigger pets.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Hello to all,
My name is Barry Crook from Sharpsburg Ga. and i want you all to know that the Helendorf River Inn was a very neat and clean hotel. The service was great and very friendly. Continental breakfast was dead on time. If your looking for a neat clean hotel, i suggest this one. Now of course you got some people that nothing can satisfy them, but yes, this hotel is just as good if not better than most. We had a great stay and will book this hotel next year. Have fun everyone and might i add that the location is the best.......

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Let me start by saying my husband and I went to Helen with another couple. They had reservations at the Helendorf and we didn't. I didn't book reservations because there was nothing big planned in Helen that weekend. We all rode in our vehicle and checked in at the same time. They did let us check in a little early which was a plus, but the girl at the check in desk was not very friendly and made me tell about 3-4 times what I needed.
She said we couldn't be in the same building as the other couple we were with unless we wanted the last smoking room. I opted to go to the other building rather than get the smoking room. MISTAKE- Our room looked like it hadn't been updated since the 1960's and although it might have been clean, everything in there was so old I felt like it was dirty. The television was even on the old type stand that locked the tv to it on a pedestal. I didn't want to sleep with the lights off in this room.
Our friends' room on the other hand, was a lot smaller, but everything looked brand new (and cleaner). (for the same price of over $100.00 a night) If I was filling this review out for their room, it would be a lot different.
The hotel definitely had the market cornered because of it's location downtown.
There was a continental breakfast with cereal, bagels, danishes in the lobby which was something good to say about the hotel experience, I guess.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple