“Fantastic stay very affordable and safe nice people”

Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed April 12, 2009

This was a pleasant surprise, this place was charming and old style of Helen,Ga. Nothing fancy just a clean, affordable, safe place to stay for a couple of nights. We had a room that overlook the river and the sound of the water was awesome. We walked across the street to Wendy's one night and the other night we walk to Paul's Steakhouse. The Helendorf is right in the middle of town...you can walk no need for a car. I saved money on hotels to enjoy the rest of my spring break.
Gwen B

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank GwenBreazeale

Reviewed March 29, 2009

I stayed at The Helendorf River Inn and was mad VERY sick! We stayed in one of the rooms (204) with a fireplace and after burning a fire for several hours my husband and I went to bed. I woke up at 2:30 A.M. ( to use the restroom) to a room FILLED with smoke! The smoke detectors NEVER WENT OFF!!!!! We had to open the front door and balcony door to get the smoke out. After that my husband checked the fireplace and the vent had closed somehow in the middle of the night!!! Me and my husband had breathing problems for several days afterwards. I did call the hotel to try to have them correct the problem in room 204. I hope they did, but after the rude way I was treated over the phone I do not know! I will also try to contact the fire department because I do not want anyone else to ever have to go though this!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wsnimmons123
Reviewed March 27, 2009

My Wife and I stayed at the "Tower" and it was wonderful as always. The staff are friendly and the we have always found the rooms clean and comfortable. A little pricey, but still a good hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lebaum
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Helendorf Inn has the best location in town...right next to shops/restaurants. However, do not expect much. The facility is very old, outdated, with very basic amenities. The rooms are tiny, smelly, and in no way worth the $129 per night we paid. I'd strongly recommend bringing your own pillow. If you're able to walk an extra 5-10 minutes I'd recommend one of the newer hotels. Helendorf was charming decades ago, but needs a complete overhaul now. Besides location, the only redeeming quality is the balcony, which we spent time on to get out of the musty smelling room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank aem1109
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Stayed for one night this past weekend while Helen was having their Hot Air Balloon weekend, and also a motorcycle get together. I have read many of the reviews below and unfortunately have to agree with many of the complaints that have been written. The room itself is a lot larger than many of the newer hotels; the room was very clean, the bathroom was spotless, and there were good quality linens on the bed.
However, after that being said, there are many areas where the hotel falls short. Good gracious could someone please buy a couple of gallons of paint and give the corridors a fresh coat. There is mold, cracks, and general disrepair in the outside walkways that really need attention. I said a silent prayer every time I used the elevator. The thing looks a million years old, is slow as slow can be, and there is a long pause between the time you reach your floor and when the elevator door actually opens. God heard my pleas a couple of times during this trip.

Location cant be beat....very friendly staff, and no seemed stressed at all even with the large crowds and a sold out hotel.
Just please give the place a little TLC, and it really could become a great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank PennyAA
Reviewed May 14, 2008

The Helendorf Inn is an old hotel that is in dire need of a facelift. While we found the rooms clean and the staff friendly, the building itself screams for attention. Most of it needs painted. The hotel sits on the banks of the Chatahoochee River and the first floor rooms have a patio on the river. There are railroad tie planters on this patio that have completely rotted in places. We "upgraded" from a Riverfront King to the first floor room and was charged an extra $10 per night even though the hotel was practically empty ( I must add, though, that their season does not begin until the end of May). One would expect a complimentary upgrade under those conditions.

1  Thank MB_Beach_Lover45
Reviewed April 25, 2008

We have stayed here twice and it is cute. If they remodeled, it would lose its old world style. The people who work here go out of their way to do things for the customers.
We do agree that there is an odor, but it is near the river and it is old. We happened to come on a weekend when they were replacing the mattresses and boxsprings. Hooray. We got to be the first to sleep on a new mattress with brand new sheets. Woo Hoo
We will definitely stay again.
If you want the Ritz, then don't stay here. If you can appreciate the town and the German style, then give it a try. It is the best location in town because you can walk to everything. (With the gas costs, it is worth considering)

Stayed: April 2008