“Our stay (oktoberfest)”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Helen
Montgomery, Alabama
“Our stay (oktoberfest)”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was our 1st time staying at the Helendorf. We had a Jr. suite and it had plenty of room. It over looks the river, you can walk to everything,they do have pet rooms and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are old world style which made the ambiance that much better. It makes you think you have gone back in time. This will NOT be our last stay at the Helendorf, planning our next trip now.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms that looks over the river, we were on the 3rd floor and slept with the door ope...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Helendorf many times and I must say this hotel never disappoints us. We stayed in the larger suite with a river view and couldn't have been any happier. In fact, when we left and continued our journey, my boyfriend made the statement that, after being spoiled at the Helendorf, no other hotels on this vacation could compare. Thank you again Elizabeth for contacting us about finding my phone. That was a great relief!! We will be back in a few months and look forward to it.

Room Tip: River view rooms are awesome
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tami14
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a nice hotel to stay in.People are friendly and close to town,so you can walk.Breakfast is good.They also take pets and you can leave in room without putting them in a crate.We will stay here again .They have a enclosed pool to and hotel is on the river.

Room Tip: We stayed in room#226 which is not on the river,but it is very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtreese96
Effingham, South Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was our second time staying here and enjoyed it this time just as much as our last time which happened 14 years ago. Everyone is so nice there and we won't wait so long before going back. We take our daschund with us everywhere and we were pleased to see that they have pet friendly rooms. Next time we will get a river side room. Love, Love, Loved. The beds slept great. Would like to know what kind of mattress they use.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We drove on from the Atlanta area without reservations for a last minute weekend get away and were lucky enough to find room at the Helen Dorf. We got a river view room which was fabulous!

Close enough to everything to walk without a problem. An amazing and wonderful weekend in Helen.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank hopefulangel
Ohio
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was our first visit to Helen, or anywhere in Northern Georgia. The Helendorf met our needs nicely. The staff was nice, the room was comfortable and clean. We did not stay in a river room, if I return, I would definitely stay in a river room next time. The hotel is older. Our room was a little awkward to get to, it was on a 2nd floor, tucked into a corner. The other rooms had a nice sitting area in front of them, but ours was lacking any space, it was all we could do to get into the door. But, it was quiet, we quite literally did not have another room on either side of us. It was well located for all the shopping, restaurants, and Oktoberfest. From what I could see of the other lodging in Helen, I am glad I chose the Helendorf!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a River room! The river and the patio were beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarkesville
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've read with much interest the numerous comments submitted regarding the Helendorf Inn and Conference Center.

My wife and I stayed at the motel for at least 50 nights over the past years, and furthermore I worked part-time there as a maintenance employee for more than three years, so forgive me but I know what I'm talking about here. If you don't like what I have to say, simply delete this comment.

The motel's management has spent and continues to spend tens of thousands of dollars each year to complete an overall update (bedding, carpet, wall finishes, bathroom ceiling tiling replacement, lobby overhaul, etc., etc.) to make this gorgeous older establishment more compatible with guest needs.

The motel's management, not to mention the housekeepers and front desk staff and maintenance workers, are only human and therefore occasionally make human mistakes. For example, while employed at the motel I once helped move a couple into a room that had not been cleaned! I was extremely embarrassed, but the front desk came to my immediate rescue and moved the couple into a sparkling clean and higher priced room at no extra charge.

I also experienced pet owners staying in non-pet rooms, and smokers staying in non-smoking rooms. So I really do "get" many of the complaints. All I can say, and I understand that this is not a viable excuse, to the guests who suffered as a result of human failure is that I'm sorry for their discomfort.

The Helendorf Motel is spectacularly located. You park your car in one of the four spacious parking lots and then you can walk all over Helen without needing a vehicle.

The entire staff of the Helendorf is dedicated to making its guests' visits favorably memorable. My wife and I live in a cabin located only nine miles away from Helen, but we still visit the motel regularly and plan to spend another few nights there in the near future.

There is no such thing as pleasing everyone, so I'm sure I'll continue to occasionally read negative comments about this grand old motel. If you want to stay in a more modern Helen motel, I suggest that you "go for it," but be advised that even brand new motels come with problems. It's the nature of the beast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo