“Best there is!”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Helen
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Best there is!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been staying at the Helendorf for 7 years in a row during the Helen Oktoberfest and while my stay is always incredible, this year they went above and beyond. Specifically, Sheryl is amazing! She went above and beyond the call of duty to help me with a personal issue and really saved the day. I can't say how great the hotel and staff is there and will continue to stay there every year when I come to Helen. Thanks so much Sheryl!!!!

Room Tip: Stay on the riverside rooms!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Hotel rooms need a makeover badly, along with the lobby. The room I was in could use some sprucing up. They do offer continental breakfast, all though it is slim pickings. Cereal, fruit, & breakfast bars. The breakfast area is lacking adequate seating. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Helen. I wouldn't stay here again. My favorite hotel in Helen is The Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn instead.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank genxer36
helendorf, Owner at Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
“Danke”, Thank you for your review of the Helendorf and I regret that you did not enjoy your stay. I would though like to let you know that we be starting our next phase of renovations as soon as Oktoberfest is over and would value another look next summer after we have completed our improvements. Some of the highlights of this winters renovations will included bathrooms and some furniture. Follow us on Facebook as we post progress with our renovations over the winter. We look forward to you seeing our continued improvements in person.
Pleasant Garden
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We love staying here.Staff friendly,beautiful view and riverfront balcony and great location to downtown.Having coffee and breakfeast in lobby is great for people who don't eat a big breakfeast.We have been staying there several years and will continue in the future.Love the riverwalk and thanks for making us feel so welcomed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sharon60845
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I made reservations at the same time as the other 3 couples we went with...and spent the same money. There room was descent and ours was below standards. Furniture was from 70s along with everything else. Bring your own shampoo as there is none and only 1 small bar of soap. Breakfast had packaged bagels, oranges and apples along with coffee. There is a coffee maker in the room but with no creamer or sugar. Although the reason we went to Helen was to go around town I still want to spend my money wisely and this wasn't it. Shower had very little pressure and went cold often....Extremely small bathroom. The ONLY plus is it's within walking distance of almost everything. Spend a couple more bucks a night to stay somewhere else. I will not stay here again

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us but apparently your friends did. During Oktoberfest we always have a full house and unless we know in advance that you are part of a group it makes it hard to accommodate you upon your arrival. I do want to stress that if you had annotated your group at the time of your reservation it was have been easy to place you next to your friends. Please check us next time your in Helen so you can see this off-seasons renovations.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed October 4, 2012

When we first walked into the lobby, I though "uh oh". The bench cushion by the front door was filthy and probably 25 years old or better, and the entire place just did not look or feel clean. The sitting area around the fireplace/ breakfast area looked like the basement of a 1970's single guys home. The wood around the doors, frames and every piece of furniture was scratched, nicked, and was "tired". I had a purchased a "groupon" for our balcony room and had gotten a pretty good deal, so I thought, just give the place a chance. We went up the elevator (also worn, tired and dirty) and got to our room. As soon as I walked in I smelled a very old and musty smell. And just in case Mr. Gay (owner/manager) decides to say it is new carpet smell, or cleaning product, IT WASN'T. The chair in our room had a stain in a spot that made me know that there was NO WAY I was sitting on that to put my makeup on! The bedspread and linens were clean, but in no way luxurious... very cheap quality. Since I had prepurchased the groupon, we were kind of stuck staying. We got back to our room after walking the strip, shopping and eating some great food, and the cable was out. We called the desk and was told they would send someone to our room. Within seconds it came on. The guy shows up at the door and we told him it was working, and he said he was just fiddeling with someone elses who was complaining of the same thing! We really didn't plan on watching tv anyway, but is important to mention for those of you who might. We had brought a bottle of wine and poured us a glass to have on our balcony to watch the river and enjoy the rain that had just started to come down. We sat down in the plastic chairs that were on the balcony and realized that you could not see anything because the railing and slats were in position to completely block your view! So unless you stand up and look over, no river view! We stayed 9/30/12 and the Wifi, although showing "connected" after several attempts, did not work (connection poor). I had to turn off the wifi and just use my phone... which worked ok. The beds were VERY uncomfortable, and neither my husband or I slept well. Since we were only staying one night, we didn't pack shampoo, conditioner, etc, thinking that ALL hotels and inns supply the basic essentials... right?. Well, this one didn't. There is an old contraption in the shower that has a lever that you pull that says it is shampoo/body soap, but it was empty and probably hasn't been filled since those were popular back in the 70's!! There is a little sign that says "if you have forgotten... blah blah blah.... call the desk and they will supply.... but after all of this, we just used soap for shampoo and wore hats the next day! The shower pressure was the best thing about the room. That was wonderful..... until you realized that the shower curtain was only cloth with no liner, and the floor is soaking wet when you get out! Bottom line... I would not stay here again.... not even if "groupon" (or Mr. Gay) offered it up for free!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathy c
helendorf, Owner at Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We have an ongoing renovation program that last year included construction of our new 250 foot river wall, terraces, 6000 square foot patio, 42” flat screen TV‘s, new mattresses, bedding and drapes. This years renovations are about to start again and you will definitely notice a difference starting next spring. Unfortunately the Internet has been an issue lately because Windstream, our Internet Service Provider (ISP), occasionally has trouble maintaining service for businesses in our area. Please feel free to follow our ongoing renovations along with our nearly 3,000 friends on Facebook.
St petersburg
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Were else can you walk out of your room sit on the patio and watch the river go by not much on the amepennities this is Helen so you don't go to spend time in the Hotel The room was well equipted with microwave stove and frig

Room Tip: Riverfront patio rooms can't be beat
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
helendorf, Owner at Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
“Vielen Dank”, thank you very much for this wonderful review and your right, there is no other hotel in Helen that you can walk out of your patio room to the river. The river is one of our biggest amenities but we are working on plans add more and would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. Be sure and signup for our eNewsletter and keep an eye out for our new loyalty program to be launched in Spring 2013. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My 5 year old and I took a mother/daughter weekend to Helen. We stayed in a riverfront balcony non-smoking room on the second floor. It had two comfortable queen beds and a small minifridge/microwave combo that was convenient for storing snacks. For $187 a night, I expected a little more. The Inn is very old. The room was clean but chairs/couches had severe stains. The shower was clean but there was a large stained patched area in the shower wall and no way to plug the drain to fill the tub. The heat lamp did not work. There was one bar of facial soap and a very dirty appearing single soap dispenser in the shower. Not sure what was in it as it was not marked. The location is great on the river and the river walk from our balcony was the nicest I saw in Helen. I called to the front desk to request a 11:30 check out and I was politely told they could not do so. Average hotel, great location. Could use a little updating.

Room Tip: A patio riverfront room would have been the most convenient to enjoy the river walk and Oktoberfest...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
“Danke”, Thank you for your review of the Helendorf and I would like to let you know that we are continuing our renovations as soon as Oktoberfest is over and would value another look next summer after we have this upcoming phase completed. Some of the highlights of this winters renovations will included bathrooms and some furniture. Follow us on Facebook as we post progress with our renovations over the winter. We look forward to you seeing our continued improvements in person.