“Tolerable by "airport hotel" standards”

Courtyard Atlanta Airport North/Virginia Avenue
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Hapeville
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Well, this is my second "strike" in attempting to find a decent business hotel near the Atlanta airport. Granted, I’ve traveled plenty enough to know that airport hotels fall below par of chain standards. This is clearly an older hotel (the bathroom sink still features a bottle opener!) that has been renovated (probably several times), but the latest renovations are already showing signs of wear. All in all, I would say my stay here was mediocre; tolerable by airport hotel standards, but I would not want to spend more than a night or two here and I will look at another hotel option the next time I need to stay in the area.

Pros:
*The room décor, while somewhat tired looking, is modern and pleasant.
*Check-in was fast and friendly and the front desk staff is pleasant and helpful.
*I requested top floor and my request was granted with a 4th floor room.
*The hotel shuttle will drop guests off at any of four area restaurants, though I was “abandoned” at my restaurant after calling for a pick up.
*My end-of-hall, top-floor room, despite being right across from the stairwell and elevator, was very quiet.
*The courtesy shuttle drivers proved to be very polite and professional.

Cons:
*The rooms are so small that they feel cramped.
*The bathroom sink area in my king room was extremely tiny.
*The furnishings in the rooms are a bit worn, particularly the desk, coffee table & couch.
*The dining options are surprisingly limited.
-Unlike many newer Courtyards, this hotel offers no lunch or dinner dining, only breakfast.
-Only two restaurants (pizza and Chinese) deliver to the hotel.
-The nearby restaurant options are very restricted.
*The area immediately surrounding the hotel is sort of light industrial and not at all conducive to taking a nice walk for exercise after a stressful day of meetings. Also, this hotel is located in “hotel central”, Atlanta Airport North, which is just not a particularly pleasant local.
*Finally, it’s a bit of nit-pick but the air conditioning unit sits right next to the desk / workspace which means in order to keep the room cool in the warmer months while working at the desk, you’ll need a sweater and some Advil (to ward off the “ice cream headache” from the frigid air).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed here for one night after a late arrival at the airport. We did not use the shuttle but had our own rental car. The hotel was OK for one night, but I wouldn't want to stay here longer than one or two nights. Although we felt safe at the hotel, we wouldnt' have wanted to walk around the surrounding area at night as it seemed a bit industrial. We found the staff to be satisfactory but not outstanding.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed December 28, 2008

The prior reviews are correct, the staff are generally friendly. However this is your typical courtyard with nothing making it slightly above the rest.
I was upgraded to a suite, however it was a bit run down. Also the front desk staff was extremely slow checking folks in.
The breakfast staff was even slower! It took some time to even be acknowledged, and then everything had to be asked for. (Coffee, sugar, etc)
I know it's the deep south, but come on and get the lead out!

I will probably try the Hilton during my next stay.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for work. After I dropped off my things I took a walk around to check out the hotel. I noticed lots of rooms with porches, and went to the front desk to ask if any were available. She said yes and asked when I checked in. I told her about 10 minutes ago. Then she told me they didn't change rooms for that reason, "that" being that I wanted to and rooms were available. I tried to inquire further but the employee answered the phone and ignored me.

No refrigirator, no free continental breakfast, no feeling of safety and no customer service.

Shame on my employer for being so cheap.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I was a little dissapointed. Although certainly not bad, this place wasn't quite up to snuff with other Courtyards.

SHUTTLE -
Although it wasn't a long wait, the ride takes a while. The shuttle services several Marriott properites and you go for a bit of a ride.

CHECK IN-
The front desk agent was friendly, but was a bit harried trying to do many things at once. Marriott is usually pretty good about giving me my preference of room type and location. Here, I got just the opposite. It was late and it was obvious it was going to take a while to change rooms given the sole employee at the desk. Oh well, no big deal.

ROOM-
It was an updated Courtyard room. Definetly nice, but it seemed a bit dark and maybe a tad dingy. Just didn't feel as comfortable as usual. The cleanliness was acceptable, although there were a few stray hairs in the bathroom.

This hotel was definetly fine for a quick stay. Next time in this area, I 'd probably try someplace different. However, I would have no objections to coming back here!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Made reservation, paid for the room in advanced, even received written confirmation for 2 rooms with queen beds via e-mail. Went to check in and all they had were King beds. No apologies from staff. Beware of staying here, rooms are not guaranteed. Very rough neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2008

I read the reviews and sought advice from a previous reviewer prior to booking my stay.

I was concerned upon entering the hotel because it was an airport hotel. My concerns were dashed when we arrived at the front lobby. It was beautifully appointed and very comfortable. The staff was friendly and very helpful.

We were greeted immediately and recognized as a Marriott member. Check-in took maybe 3 minutes.

Our room had comfortable bedding, a desk with chair, a separate lounge chair, and TV. The bathroom was a nice size including the shower and toilet. The sink and vanity was outside the bathroom. The only disappointment was the HUGE temperature control unit. It was outdated and noisy. However it worked. It cooled the room during the day and heated the room during the night.

Nice hotel perks were having 2 computers in the lobby that had FREE ACCESS for Internet and MS Office Applications. Also Free Fax Service for either incoming or outgoing use.

The free airport shuttle was useful and is available 24 hours. It provides service to the airport and local restaurants.

Some booking advice; make sure you ask for a room on the opposite side of the interstate. Note the scheduled airport shuttle times, so you have minimal waiting time.This is a smoke free hotel, so don't stay here if you need to leave your room every 5 minutes to smoke. Also secure a seat on the comfy couches in the lobby 15 minutes before the major football game to watch it on the huge flat screen TV!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hapeville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta Airport North
Courtyard Atlanta Airport South/Sullivan Road
Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Crowne Plaza Atlanta Airport
Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport North
Residence Inn Atlanta Airport North/Virginia Avenue

Been to Courtyard Atlanta Airport North/Virginia Avenue? Share your experiences!