“Anniversary Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hapeville B&B and Inns
Columbus, Georgia
“Anniversary Stay”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We spent an evening at Masion Lavigne for our 15th Wedding Anniversary. It was the most personal, welcoming stay I have experienced. Eileen is a little bundle of energy who gave us a quick run down of the procedures, showed us the necessary items, obtained our preferences for coffee/breakfast, and then left us to enjoy our stay. She visited on the porch with other guests who were there as well.
She brought us coffee at our requested time, and we ate in the kitchen with the other guests, who happened to want breakfast the same time we did. A third guest had eaten quite early that morning and came back to the kitchen to visit. Eileen immediately offered him more food and drink. We all visited while enjoying our fruit cups and coffee, while Eileen cooked for us just a few yards away. She kept our drinks full and was very hospitable. If we ever want to get away in the Atlanta area again, the Maison LaVigne will be at the top of our list.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Maison LaVigne on New Years Eve in the Bordeaux suite. It was great. The bed is so comfortable and the room is great. We had dinner by candlelight at a little table in front of the bed and it was delicious. Steak and lobster! We also had a delicious breakfast the next morning in the kitchen while talking with Eileen and had a great time. We liked it so much I scheduled Valentines Day night there. We had an ice storm though in Atlanta and Eileen was kind enough to have us come the next night instead. We stayed in the Bordeaux suite again, had pretty much the same meal which was still delicious and also had breakfast in the morning. She never rushes you or makes you feel unwelcome. On the contrary, we feel like part of the family when we stay there. If you want some stuffy hoity-toity experience that is antiseptic then maybe this isn't the place for you. If you want to feel like you are home, enjoy being pampered and want a great meal and breakfast then this is the place to come when visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Kentucky
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We spent the Thanksgiving holiday staying at Maison LaVigne while visiting my brother. The accomodations were beautiful, especially the Provencal bed linens, and the breakfasts were delicious. We hit it off with Eileen, sharing our common interests and histories, and enjoyed meeting her house guests from Russia. We hope to return and experience the Corner Café.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Silver Creek, Georgia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just after arrival, as we were going into the room, Eileen blurts out "Hey, you're not going to want a big breakfast in the morning, are you? I HATE cooking big breakfasts on Sunday. The last people expected a huge breakfast. And they wanted it early, too..." The fancy toilet had a different way of flushing-we weren't shown how. Anyway, it kept running water and I couldn't flush it again. I was going to try to lift the top to repair it but it was different and I was afraid I would break it. I told Eileen who promptly launched into being angry and scolding me for us doing it wrong. Perhaps she could have shown us the proper operation of the toilet instead of griping about previous guests demanding a big breakfast?

We felt like we were imposing in Her personal space so we went to see what shopping was nearby. We were leaving and she opened the door and yelled out "LOCK THE DOOR! That's what you have a key for!". Scolded again...

After we returned, being a smoker, I went out back by the pool. Eileen was washing the dirty breakfast dishes Used by guests that left earlier in the day. Checkout is 1100. Check in is after 3. We arrived at about 4pm. It was now about 9pm. As I came in, she explained the tricky door and to pull the knob, etc. when I came in, she was standing there cleaning the kitchen and I locked the door as she showed me, giving it a strong tug. It seemed locked. She even nodded like I did it correctly. I went on to the room. I heard her loud, yelling.."Ma'am, ma'am-you didn't lock the door!" She scolded me yet again. And she told me i coukdnt go out that door again. if i went back out to smoke-it would have to be on the front porch. By this time, I actually said "we apparently can't do ANYTHING right-or that's how it seems". I went to my room frustrated at myself for not leaving after the toilet scolding.

The morning after, she was more pleasant. She had talked about other guests requesting breakfast at a certain time and her going to the trouble to be on time while they would be late-inconveniencing HER. We were exactly on time. We sat at the table and watched her make fruit salads-taking berries out of the plastic store package without washing them. She would scratch at herself, put her hands in her hair and go back to preparing food without washing her hands. I am all for being comfortable but she was wearing the same navy sundress/nightgown looking thing she had on when we arrived-one of the straps was torn and coming apart at the seam. Braless... She cooked eggs Benedict. Something simple, of course we didn't want to put her out. Her mood and attitude, even the tone of her voice was much nicer in the morning. I couldn't help thinking it might be related to time for her to get my card for payment.

As far as cleanliness? No! There were spiderweb tendrils dangling from the ceiling in most places-more apparent due to the dark colored walls. There was dust coating everything. The wall in the bathroom that the robes hung over had some sort of shiny goo reflecting. Needless to say I didn't want to wear the robe hanging against the goo. The "complimentary toiletries" were half empty, having been used. No, I don't care to use other people's items... No toiletries to keep from the $169.00 stay.

In the morning I found a water pitcher behind the TV. I had been terribly thirsty all night but Eileen never offered beverages or anything when we arrived. With her making me feel like we kept messing up and imposing on her, I felt very unwelcome.

All of the garden is overgrown, almost completely covering the walkway. Wrought iron furniture was overgrown with weeds, the walkway bricks overgrown. If I find a way to post pictures of the overgrown garden, dust hanging from ceilings and general covering of dust, I will.

I was trying to make conversation while she prepared breakfast and asked about the house being old. She burst that image bubble by telling me she added all of the touches to make it appear old. She had the tower/window added to the roof and made a lot of changes to the house-she went into a lot of debt at age 52 spending money on the house.

Oh, as if she didn't bad-mouth other guests enough (I can only imagine what she had to say about us to the next guest)...she talked about the guests who booked several nights and an $80.00 cooking lesson but spent their money at the Scott Antique Market so they had to cut the trip short and cancel the cooking lesson. And they didn't even leave her a tip!!

I was very, very disappointed. My experience there was NOTHING like the reviews I'd read before booking there. Maybe she was depressed or tired or something. I don't know. I just know we will never go back. Overpriced, dirty, NOT a pleasant stay...

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank cindyicurn
Swansboro, North Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for an Anniversary Weekend. We arrived on time, but Eileen decided to walk her dog as we waited on the porch, unable to get in. Once we got in, we settled in our room ( which was very cute and clean ). Problem #1: Her dog roams freely, everywhere. He jumped on our lap during breakfast, everyday. He is in the kitchen while preparing our food. He barks at 5am and any other time he wishes. #2: The breakfast was sub par, not "Paris Trained" Chef food. The "scones" were ( and she admitted this ) Pillsbury in a can biscuits. All her jams were from a jar, her soup was taken from her restaurant down the street. Afternoon tea was good, but again, all from a jar and pre-packed. #3: She decided to blast Opera music at 7 am while she was working in the kitchen, waking us up. #4: She joined us for breakfast, eating and "sharing" the food she prepared for us, everyday, which I found very unprofessional. I am a professional Chef, and my wife and I have stayed in fine B & B's all over. My suggestion to Eileen is to let people know in advance, about the freedom of her pets, especially in areas where she prepares food. Also, don't join the guests for breakfasts; or at least ask first. Don't promote being an accomplished Chef and then TELL your guests everything comes from a jar, a can, or pre-prepared from a restaurant down the street. My wife and I were the only guests in the house for our stay, so we believe Eileen "took a break" from her busy schedule and put us on the back burner, prepared poor quality food, and dropped all professional graces. Very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Shawn P
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We Stayed here as a quick getaway.
We enjoyed the food and the owner very much.
The room was SUPER clean and very updated.
Would have enjoyed our sleep better if the room was a little colder at night but we were okay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah Georgia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Checked in Thursday 8/22/13 for 3 nights and found it to be a marvelous little inn. The owner Eileen is friendly and extremely helpful. Her gourmet cafe down the street could be set down in a small French village & the French would feel right at home. Our room was comfortable, the breakfast was "yummy" and all in all it was a GREAT find.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hapeville
BEST WESTERN PLUS Atlanta Airport-East
Drury Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta Airport North
Holiday Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport - North
Hilton Atlanta Airport
Hilton Atlanta Airport
#85 of 172 in Atlanta
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Airport North

Been to Maison LaVigne? Share your experiences!