“Golf was supposed to be good but it wasn't”

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“Golf was supposed to be good but it wasn't”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We looked forward to going to Reynolds Plantation but in the end left disappointed. Customer service in the lead up to our visit was absent with email queries being unanswered but we persevered and went anyway. The hotel itself is fine but we were given a room overlooking a marquee for weddings and such which was not great. The steak house was nice and we had a couple of pleasant evenings sitting at the bar eating samplers and drinking good cocktails and very pleasant local ales.
The most disappointing aspect of our visit was the golf. We played Plantation and Great Waters the latter being very expensive and yet both were not very memorable and yes they were average and we would not rush to go play them again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ADRUK
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Adruk,

Thanks for your comments during your recent visit. While I'm glad to hear of many of the positive points of your experience, I must say I'm a little confused as to the lack of communication leading up to the visit. In addition, your golf experience is surprising as this is not at all the norm.

If you don't mind, I would so appreciate a call so that I might be able to ascertain some of the details so that we can correct moving forward. Please contact me at the resort at your leisure at 706-467-7040.

Please accept my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best regards,

Ralph Vick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Augusta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Every part of our visits (we have been 3 times) to this Ritz has been excellent. The facility is beautiful, the service exceptional. We went to the Spa and it was one of the the best we have seen so far.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a Lake View, no point in going to the lake and not have a lake view. Worth the mo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell W
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband booked us a night at this RC Easter Weekend using his Marriott points. We both travel quite a bit and we try to use either our AmEx points or the specific airline/hotel reward points we build up over each year for our vacations as much as possible. I had used our RC reward points recently on a trip to South Florida, but decided to put some (over 50,000) of our Marriott points for a quick get away.
If you are looking for a warm welcome from "ladies and gentlemen" and are counting on some of that Ritz Carlton "my pleasure" treatment - DO NOT book a stay at this property using Marriott points.
When we checked in - we were given a totally different room than what we reserved using ample points. When we inquired as to the change the "lady" at the front desk responded "Im sorry maam, we don't grant those rooms to Marriott points guests." Are you kidding me? First of all - I had to spend tens of thousands of dollars with your parent company to get those points and it shouldn't matter how I come to pay for my room - I should be treated like a valued guest. When we then asked if we could pay the $200 fee to upgrade to a club level room, we were told there were no club rooms available. Yet - little did they know that when the same girl checked in our friends - they asked to pay the $200 fee and were given a choice between a club level room or a suite on a different floor but with club access.
During our two full days there I can honestly say that while we appreciate the beauty of the grounds (this was actually our third time at the hotel) and there are some nice features of the hotel such as the spa and the golf - we rarely encountered a "lady or gentlemen" as RC calls them that showed an ounce of hospitality. Derek our bellman was lovely. And the folks that worked tirelessly at the pool on Easter Sunday were memorable. Other than that - we are done with this resort if not all RC properties. The guest rooms need some modifications and updating. Ours had a musty smell and we encountered many glitches like a broken fridge, a sliding glass door that wouldn't open, a horribly dirty balcony, stained towels and an AC that kept us up all night. The food is simply mediocre. The Easter Brunch was $70 for an adult and $35 for my seven year old. I love a good Sunday Brunch and never mind paying for one, but this to me was price gouging. With tip, the bill was over 200 for food that was merely "decent".
We have a special needs child and asked for a few things before arrival - all of those requests were ignored - because we booked our room with "Marriott" points we were told - they could not accommodate such requests. All in all, we left feeling guilty for using the points, let down in almost every aspect of our stay and quite turned off to Ritz Carlton as a whole.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank TravelPrincess1108
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear TravelPrincess1108,

I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear of your experiences at our resort. It is our commitment not only to meet but exceed our guest expectations, please forgive us for failing you in this commitment. While we do occasionally run into some conflict on point redemption, what I'm most disappointed in was your services experiences with our Ladies and Gentlemen, for this is truly our greatest asset. Thank you however for mentioning a few isolated pleasant experiences by name.

While it is regrettable that this experience has caused you to consider never returning to our resort, I would appreciate the opportunity to talk with you in more detail at your convenience. You can reach me at the resort anytime.

Best regards,

Lubbock, TX
Reviewed April 21, 2014

A recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton, Reynolds Plantation proved to be one of the most enjoyable stays of my travels in recent history! The hospitality was second to none. Every person from those opening doors, to housekeeping, and food service was extremely attentive and more than pleasant. The grounds were absolutely perfect; a breath of fresh air, literally! We kayaked one afternoon and enjoyed every minute out on the lake. Time spent at the pool was priceless, as the infinity pool meeting the lakeside is perfection. Our room overlooked the spa building, and the blooming trees out our window were beautiful! While the pollen was thick during our stay, the blooming spring was incredible. We dined lakeside one evening at the chimenea, and Rob, our server took great care of us. What a fun change to a traditional dinner. The staff in the lobby bar were so gracious, as our group got a bit unruly from time to time. ;) They worked hard and exceeded everyones expectations. We had a reception one evening on the patio of "Linger Longer" and the golf course view was outstanding! Our final banquet/dinner/dance held in the tent was extremely enjoyable as well. Every individual working the event made certain that all was top notch. I received a massage at the beautiful spa, and felt so welcomed by Joseph and all the spa staff. Sayward gave an amazing massage, & I would highly recommend her. The spa itself is not to be missed. What a great relaxing escape! While a business trip brought us this time, we will definitely return again for sheer pleasure, and bring friends and family with us. We are ruined by your southern charm- you have raised the bar for sure!!

Room Tip: Rooms have lovely views whether facing the lake or woods. It's hard to go wrong!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Ashley H
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Ashley H,

What a delight to read of your recent stay, I will be reading it aloud this week in my staff meeting and acknowledge the staff members you mentioned. I can't tell you how often we have group guests that return to enjoy the resort as a leisure traveler, so please come back and see us and let me know if I can ever be of service!

P.S. - Tell your friends, we are the best kept secret in the southeast!

Best...

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Beautiful grounds, excellent service, lovely hotel. Dinner in the dining room was great. Very pricey, but you expect that at a ritz carlton. Very comfortable, attractive rooms. Ours opened out onto a private ground level patio, which is recessed by stone walls so you really do have a sense of privacy. Beds were very comfortable and there was plenty of lighting in the very spacious bathroom.
It is a great place for a weekend, situated on a lake surrounded by lovely homes. The only drawback is it's long distance from anywhere. If you need culture, shopping, entertainment and a variety of restaurants, stick to Atlanta. But it you really want to get away, it's a great choice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlaShug
Dear AlaShug,

Thanks for your kind words regarding your recent visit, much appreciated. We do consider ourselves to be great respite just outside Atlanta. While it is true that Lake Oconee does not have Atlanta's offerings, it is nice to know that paradise is just at the big city's doorstep!

Who needs Hilton Head or Florida when you have World-Class golf and the best Lake in the Southeast right here!

All the best and please come back and see us again soon...

Colorado
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Loved this property and wish we could have stayed more than 48 hours. It begs to be used as a spot to just stop and relax. We used spa and pool area, some lake activities and golf. Also skeet shooting, which was a hoot. I'd have loved time to laze around in the many hammocks and had time to do more on the lake. Food in Gaby's was very good. Rooms comfy and housekeeping staff friendly, professional and effective. It's a little out of the way from Atlanta, but what a lovely spot.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PucksterColorado
Dear PucksterColorado,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our resort, please come back and Linger Longer! Ironically enough one of our biggest selling points is our distance from Atlanta. In one short hour you can join us in paradise! Beats driving 5+ hours to Hilton Head or Destin, especially when you only have a short weekend!

Best,

Alabama
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and nicely landscaped. The architecture lives up to the name "lodge," with a mountain lodge aesthetic.

We arrived quite late, but the valet was quick to greet us in in spiffy old timey golf knickers (the American meaning of the word, not the English!) and we were helped with our luggage immediately.

Check in was quick and accurate and we were upgraded to a lake view. I think this RC has the longest halls in a hotel I've ever seen! We weren't even at the end of the corridor, but it was a really long walk from the room to the elevator. I agree with another poster about the proximity of the balconies. I guess the rooms next to us were empty, as I did relax on our balcony, but the ones next door were mere feet away, with no privacy wall.

This property was not as welll-appointed or spacious as other Ritz Carlton's where I have stayed. The room was quite small, and even with two queen beds, there was only 1 sink in the bathroom. There was a large vanity area, with a shelf, so plenty of room to spread out all those bathroom things you need. A separate tub and a shower were in the bath, along with a separate WC room. I found the shower to be quite small, and the shelf barely held the provided hair products, much less the additional ones I brought. Rather a disappointment for a "luxury" branded hotel. Plenty of hot water and reasonably decent water pressure.

The beds were comfortable, but a few more pillows would have been appreciated. My profile regarding a feather-free room was handled before our arrival. There was not much drawer space to handle clothes for 3 people, although the closet was spacious. I like that RC's are now placing coffee makers in the rooms so you don't have to go to the bother of calling room service when you just want a random cup of coffee or tea.

Our room service breakfast was delivered on time and was the right temperature. I called later to have the table removed but they never came. I thought later perhaps that they hadn't knocked because the do not disturb sign was out. It was still annoying to have to maneuver around that table in a room with very little extra space, but I hated to put the table out in the hallway.

The service lived up to the usual great service you expect, and all the employees I interacted with seemed to have been well-trained. While this isn't close to the only chain of hotels that charges for internet access, I find that charge to be the most annoying and unnecessary fees charged by especially high-end properties.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank newharp
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Newharp,

Thank you very much for your recent comments regarding your stay at our resort. I appreciate your comments regarding hallways, balconies and shower size. Unfortunately while there is nothing we can do about these design elements, I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meals, our beautiful grounds and traditional Ritz-Carlton service.

Please come back and see us in the summer, Lake Oconee is just fabulous for swimming, boating, fishing and there are many activities for all ages. You might also what to check out one our cottages for additional privacy and ease of access.

Until then....all the best!

Ralph Vick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
Hampton Inn Madison
#4 of 6 in Madison
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Milledgeville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Milledgeville

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!