“Horrible - Save your Money”

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I stayed here for a second time on behalf of the General Manager. My dates were from August 30 - September 1, 2008. The first time I stayed here it is okay with some problems. I reported these problems, I was promised they would be taken care of, and was invited back at a manager rate. I decided to upgrade my rate to club level. I wanted to surprise my wife with this trip. My wife and I stayed one floor below club level and had club level access. Check-in was disastorous and I should of left right then and there. First, their were no valet waiting. I had to literally get out of my car, walk inside, and request help. Second, the valet or bellman scratched my new Acura with a suitcase (I was able to buff this mark out though). At the front desk, the clerks (3 women) were busy. When they finished, they didn't say anything - I said that I wanted to check-in. The one woman took me and said I had a rate of xx and that it was a regular room - I told her I had club level access, which she had to get her manager to override the system. The problem was fixed in 1 minute (or I thought so). Their were problems throughout the day like the waiter at the Linger Longer Steakhouse paid no attention to us during dinner - just took our order and returned a few minutes later with our bill! The club level is nothing great, the staff don't even care or recognize your even there. I saw a child take a spoon, lick it clean, and put it back in the ranch dressing bowl. When I reported this to the staff, they didn't care and let the kid keep doing it. Do not eat in the club level! I reported them to the health advisory board. When we decided to check out the last day, my bill room rate was again incorrect and again I had to argue with the front desk in fixing it. Overall, I will never stay here or at any Ritz Carlton again (please see my review for Ritz Carlton, Downtown Atlanta). Save your money, it is a different kind of crowd here and the staff does not care about your comforts or your happiness.

3  Thank AcworthConsultant
Write a ReviewReviews (1,271)

Reviewed August 17, 2008

It's a Ritz Carlton; what more can you say? Who would have thought that a Ritz could be a hit in the middle of Georgia on Lake Oconee? I'm convinced. The hotel is amazing. The style, the feel, the service, everything. When you stay at a Ritz you expect great food, great service, great amenities and the "My Pleasure" approach to the guest experience. The Ritz at Reynolds Plantation delivered that and more. Breakfast at "Georgia" was first class, and Gaby's by the lake was the perfect location for a bar and casual restaurant. The Ritz/Southern style was a marriage in design, but it captured the true southern charm you would expect. The grounds are perfectly manicured; the rooms and sundries are first class. Bulgari soaps, shampoo's and lotions. Who wouldn't love bathing in Italian luxury? Of course we had to experience the spa, and what a treat. Great fitness center, and the lap pool was awash in an adirondack style with vaulted ceilings and exposed beams with a stacked stone fireplace at the end. I wasn't sure if I wanted to swim laps or relax and read a book. One of the best experiences you can have in the south is roasting marshmallows over an open fire and making s'mores. Worry not, as this is an evening event that all guests can enjoy in the center courtyard area around a large bonfire surrounded by teak wood chairs and nothing between you and the moon but a wisp of smoke and the smell of the true south. Middle Georgia can be a bit warm in the summer time, but you can be sure that I will be back there during fall/winter to experience the multitude of fireplaces scattered throughout the property. I heard that golf is great in the area, and with the number of courses in the area, I would say so, but unfortunately, I didn't play. Next time I will. And, YES, there will be a next time; for sure. To say I fell in love with this property is an understatment. Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel missed this little gem. If she brings back great hotels, I encourage her to take the plunge and experience one of the best Ritz properties in the world.

1  Thank Troyp28
Reviewed August 12, 2008

My stay at the Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation was incredible.

The hotel offers an authentic lodge feel while maintaining the wonderful Ritz-Carlton standards. The staff is very welcoming, the rooms are very spacious and the grounds are breathtaking.

The staff at Gaby's is great. One server in particular new my preferences before I even had to ask.

This resort offers not a little, but Alot for all ages. Mom, Dad, and kids will all enjoy the Ritz-Carlton Lodge experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this RC property on August 6 to August 7, 2008. We were stopping over on our way to Charleston, SC. We decided to stay here because it would complete our full RC experience in the state of Georgia. We arrived late evening and was kindly check-in by a young lady at the front desk. BTW the grounds are beautiful and driving to the resort, which is somewhat lengthly away from main roads and I-20 W made it peaceful. We were check-in promptly and I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite located on the 2nd floor (one floor below the lobby). I do not like staying on the lower floors of a hotel, but it was quiet that night and I didn't hear anything. The room was nicely appointed and the bed was comfortable. At $219 a night, which included breakfast and valet parking I wasn't about to complain about room location. The front-desk, however, booked me under the wrong package and gave me resort credit by accident under someone's elses name. This situation was quickly resolved the next morning though. A few complaints, room service is tremendously slow. We decided to have dinner in our room and I don't think it was worth the wait. Even though my salmon was good, it was still not worth waiting 2 hrs for dinner when it is 9 pm at night. I will be writing them a letter on this matter. Also their was no "comment card" left in the room for me to fill out a mail in. Lastly, their was a chocolate smear on the 2nd floor wall, near the elevator buttons. I do agree with other reviewers that the cleanliness of the room and the hotel itself is not the best and needs to be worked on. Overall, it was a nice stop over and much better than your typical highway chain hotels.

Reviewed August 9, 2008

Last weekend my husband and I stayed at this hotel for our first anniversary. We are frequent RC users and have stayed at many in the past. But this stay stood out from the others. The staff at this resort was so friendly and we felt like celebrities there since everyone knew our name and why we were there. The pool is amazing with the lake in the background. Our room was spacious and every amenity we needed was there! At turndown, our housekeeper left rose pedals on the bed! For the price, the value is very worth it! What a fabulous destination! We will be back!

Reviewed August 8, 2008

We stayed four nights at The Ritz Carlton Lodge at Reynolds Plantation. The service was unbelievable from the time we arrived at the front door until departure. We upgraded to the club level and the food presentations were wonderful, I highly suggest the upgrade to club level.
A must is to eat at Gabbys restaurant, it's an open air restaurant and bar overlooking beautiful Lake Oconee. It's very casual, shorts and sandals are welcome. One of the best things about the hotel is being casual and relaxing! We also ate at Georgias and Linger Longer Grill, Georgias breakfast and Linger Longers steaks are both incredible and the service was fablous.
I enjoyed the world class Oconee golf course while my wife was beieng pampered at the spa, both are must do's!
I highly recommend the Lodge at Reynolds Plantation, the best way to describe our experience is WOW.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I have stayed at many hotels but none compare to the Ritz Carlton Lodge. The service is impeccable. The food is DIVINE. The pool is gorgeous! Ahmed was the most attentive pool server I have ever come in contact with. The room service was timely. I could go on for days!
I wouldn't stay anywhere else and I will tell all my friends and family about the wonderful service I experienced at this Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
#4 of 6 in Madison
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
#1 of 10 in Milledgeville

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!