“Nice visit”

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We enjoyed spending the night at the Ritz for our anniversary. We were greeted with Champagne upon arrival and the service throughout our stay was excellent. The room was nicely decorated and the view of the lake beautiful. The grounds and amenities are wonderful and we really enjoyed the SPA area. SInce it was a quiet week night, we had the spa area to ourselves and it was so relaxing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuciandEd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,271)

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was here two nights for a seminar and a meeting beforehand. The rooms are quite luxurious and I had a beautiful lake view. The bed was superb. There were a couple of things that detracted from the experience though:

1. The weather was chilly when I was there, especially the first night. As time went on I noticed that one side of the room was hot and the other side was freezing. It turns out there is a fresh air vent in the room -- located on the opposite wall from the HVAC -- that runs all the time, not guest-controlled, and it was pumping massive amounts of FREEZING COLD AIR into the room! The heater on the other side was madly trying to keep up. I called to the desk and someone from building engineering came by. He was able to make some adjustments in the attic (he said) that raised the temperature of that airflow. So the problem was fixed, but why should anything like that be happening in the first place? It seemed to me like a design flaw rather than a random malfunction.

2. The internet service ($10/day) disconnected without warning once every hour. When I say once an hour, I mean so regularly you could almost set a clock by it.

3. There is a fine line between attentive and intrusive service, and it was crossed. I called for my car to go eat offsite and run a minor shopping errand. While I waited, one of the other valets asked me where I was going. None of your beeswax! I am OK with "Do you need directions anywhere?" but "Where are you going" is inappropriate.

4. Housekeeping was knocking on doors before 9 AM. That should not happen anywhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have eaten at all of the restaurants at the Ritz Carlton on Lake Oconee from the formalness of Georgia's to the lake side, outdoor atmosphere of Gaby's. We have also been at very large parties in the ballroom. Most recently was a wonderful Christmas dinner party. Even for a large crowd of 300+, the food and service were excellent. We highly recommend a stay and dining at the Ritz Carlton On Lake Oconee.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are well worth the aded cost
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelers31024
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Here for a business meeting. The place looks much like other Ritz Carlton resorts I've been ate (tough to get lost since the floor plans vary only slightly), except with a highland/golf theme. The lakefront is really quite beautiful, and the service was as fine as you expect from a Ritz Carlton. The staff is friendly, well-trained, and always helfpul. The room was spacious. I wish I'd had a day or two extra to enjoy it as a vacation spot.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here earlier in the summer for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well maintained and well treated. Golf course, restaurants and rooms in great shape. Fantastic gym. Great environment with the southern hospitality! Hope to be back again...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We spent a weekend here in the beginning of October to celebrate a few joyous occasions (including my son's 2nd birthday). The staff was extremely gracious and completely spoiled my son the entire weekend. We're vegetarian and its sometimes difficult for us to find a good meal, but the food was fantastic here and the chef was very accommodating with our requests. We can't wait to go back in the Spring!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I went over a weekend during the Fall months for a conference. The food was excellent at all meals I ate here. The breakfast in the Georgia restaurant was especially good. During breakfast one morning, the omlet station attendant overheard me telling a friend I was with that I really love bacon and cream cheese omlets but was not going to ask for one. A few minutes later, the gentleman brought one to me unsolicited. I thought he was very sweet to have done so. Overall, the service here was excellent.

I thought some of the amenities were really nice. The pool bar was good, and the smores welcome was fun. It rained badly the entire time I was there, so I didn't get to enjoy the pool or lake beach areas, but they looked nice overall. The room was well-appointed with a lovely bathroom and a very comfortable bed. They do have a "mascot," Dooly - a chocolate lab, who made me feel right at home. He was the highlight of my trip.

I thought the best part of my stay would be the spa treatments I booked. The spa itself is beautiful. The indoor pool was relaxing and serene; I was the only one in there for a couple of hours one afternoon. The front desk staff at the spa was friendly at first. The locker room and whirlpool/cold plunge area were serene and relaxing. I thought I was in for a real treat when I entered the pre-treatment area to wait for my massage therapist.

When the massage began, I asked for more pressure. I got the same, cold, dead feeling hands throughout the whole hour I was in there. I was so repulsed by how bad the massage was that I almost asked the girl to stop and let me leave. It was anything but relaxing, and really, truly ruined my stay. I had so looked forward to that massage the entire time I was planning my trip and felt really let down that the massage was so terrible, with no adjustment to my feedback. When I complained about it to the front desk staff (which was friendly upon arriving), I got the cold-shoulder. It really annoyed me that I paid almost $200 for that mess. To put it in perspective, I have had massages for years, at many hotels across the country and have never complained before.

In short, go here if you are planning to have a fun, relaxing weekend with good food and a nice room. But expect no more than a pretty face in the spa and for good service only when you're happy.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MrsSarahKJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
#4 of 6 in Madison
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
#1 of 10 in Milledgeville

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!