“Fantastic”

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here earlier in the summer for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well maintained and well treated. Golf course, restaurants and rooms in great shape. Fantastic gym. Great environment with the southern hospitality! Hope to be back again...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We spent a weekend here in the beginning of October to celebrate a few joyous occasions (including my son's 2nd birthday). The staff was extremely gracious and completely spoiled my son the entire weekend. We're vegetarian and its sometimes difficult for us to find a good meal, but the food was fantastic here and the chef was very accommodating with our requests. We can't wait to go back in the Spring!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I went over a weekend during the Fall months for a conference. The food was excellent at all meals I ate here. The breakfast in the Georgia restaurant was especially good. During breakfast one morning, the omlet station attendant overheard me telling a friend I was with that I really love bacon and cream cheese omlets but was not going to ask for one. A few minutes later, the gentleman brought one to me unsolicited. I thought he was very sweet to have done so. Overall, the service here was excellent.

I thought some of the amenities were really nice. The pool bar was good, and the smores welcome was fun. It rained badly the entire time I was there, so I didn't get to enjoy the pool or lake beach areas, but they looked nice overall. The room was well-appointed with a lovely bathroom and a very comfortable bed. They do have a "mascot," Dooly - a chocolate lab, who made me feel right at home. He was the highlight of my trip.

I thought the best part of my stay would be the spa treatments I booked. The spa itself is beautiful. The indoor pool was relaxing and serene; I was the only one in there for a couple of hours one afternoon. The front desk staff at the spa was friendly at first. The locker room and whirlpool/cold plunge area were serene and relaxing. I thought I was in for a real treat when I entered the pre-treatment area to wait for my massage therapist.

When the massage began, I asked for more pressure. I got the same, cold, dead feeling hands throughout the whole hour I was in there. I was so repulsed by how bad the massage was that I almost asked the girl to stop and let me leave. It was anything but relaxing, and really, truly ruined my stay. I had so looked forward to that massage the entire time I was planning my trip and felt really let down that the massage was so terrible, with no adjustment to my feedback. When I complained about it to the front desk staff (which was friendly upon arriving), I got the cold-shoulder. It really annoyed me that I paid almost $200 for that mess. To put it in perspective, I have had massages for years, at many hotels across the country and have never complained before.

In short, go here if you are planning to have a fun, relaxing weekend with good food and a nice room. But expect no more than a pretty face in the spa and for good service only when you're happy.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MrsSarahKJ
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there during a meeting that my husband attended.
We had a pleasant drive to the hotel since the trees were all colored ( the fall). Once there the valet take care of your car and luggage.
The staff at the front desk are friendly and helpfull. The rooms are luxurious and big, and they could fit 2 cribs and still have room for them to run around and crawl on the floor. The rooms are cleaned twice a day.
The lobby is not too big, but its cozy with real fire places.
They have 2 restaurants, one on the first floor ( we didn't visit because it s formal and with two kids we wanted somewhere more casual) the other one is out side with a wonderful lake view, and an infinity pool ( too cold to swim in though) the menu didn't had too much variety but what they had was fine.
We ate our breakfast in the lobby, and the kids were running around, the stuff are kids friendly.
They have a tchou-tchou train at 10am and 3pm, he kids loved it.
In the spa, they have a gym, and an indoor pool.
They have nice trails if you like to take a walk, and nice sittings on the way to the restaurant.
I would love to go back on the spring.
This is a great place to relax

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We came in for Thanksgiving on Wednesday 11/21, and we had a great stay. This is not a typical Ritz Carlton, and that is a good thing. This place has a true LODGE feel, with absolutely everything to do outside in the fresh, beautiful woods of Greensboro. I came here with my mom and we relaxed in the room with wonderful light room service dinner on Wednesday evening. On Thanksgiving, we had a great breakfast at Georgia's -wonderful fresh berries and coffee and fantastic service was a fine start to the day. I was able to hike 5 miles, stop by and try ice skating at the outdoor rink for the first time and swam laps in the spa pool-ALL included in the price of the room. The spa is calming and decorated for the holidays, and there is complimentary citrus water inside the workout area.

The rooms are very nice, the one thing that I feel could be improved upon are very small things, like dusting the bowls and furniture near the elevators and cleaning the rooms more carefully, there were small imperfections in the rooms, but to us, everything else was so superb and the rooms were welcoming and comfortable.

Thanksgiving dinner at Georgia's was absolutely superb, and the food was fantastic.

Every single staff member we encountered was happy to go above and beyond in helping us in whatever way they could. This is the perfect retreat for those who want to relax or for those who want to stay busy. The food was superb, the staff was amazing. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary Z
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is our 2nd trip to the Ritz at Reynold Plantation. The first time was 12/2011 was just one of the worst experiences we've ever encountered. The 3rd floor (same level as the lobby) was nothing short of a Kids play ground. Running through dining areas, down the hallways, screaming kids were everywhere. When we finally decided to retire for the evening, the kids in the adjacent room were conducting a gymnastic event. We simply couldn't get any sleep, and what put us over the top is when someone banging on our room door shouting "hotel security"...later we discovered it was the noisy kid's parents apparently playing a joke on the kids, but they got the wrong room! We couldn't take it any longer, packed up and left.

This time around was a quieter/peaceful setting. The staff placed us in a suite towards the end of the hotel. Fabulous room, great staff, excellent service. I would recommend for families, but if you're looking for solitude - this probably isn't your first choice.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room at one end of the hotel to get away from the kids, foot traffic, and routine...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I booked the Discover You package offered at Reynolds Plantation. Upon arrival we were informed by Justin at the Front Desk that we had been upgraded to a suite facing Lake Oconee. Sweet indeed. The two room, one and a half bath suite was what we needed after a long day of travel. This is a lovely, well appointed property bordering Lake Oconee. Our package included daily breakfast in Georgia's Bistro which was always good. We also received a daily $100 resort credit that could be used almost anywhere on the property. We used it primarily for dinner and cocktails each night we were there. Honestly, we didn't have one bad meal. The resort has four restaurants (including a lobby lounge where you can order from a menu). The Linger Longer Steakhouse is also very good. Service was great. Everyone we had contact with was courteous, helpful, and friendly. We were interested in coming here because it is a Ritz-Carlton and the package was priced really well. We have stayed at Ritz Carltons before and this one, like others, did not disappoint. We would go back.

Room Tip: It was really nice of hotel management to upgrade us to a 4th floor suite. The suites are spacious a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
#3 of 6 in Madison
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
#1 of 10 in Milledgeville

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!