The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
TripAdvisor
Goodwin Manor(Greensboro)
TripAdvisor
1,286 results
All reviewsinfinity poolclub levelgingerbread houselake viewbeautiful propertyresort feefire pitgreat resortlinger longer steakhouselong weekendwalking trailsromantic getawayjet skibusiness meetingfamily vacationlake activitiesgreat weekend
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Outstanding, friendly service! We brought our 1 and 3 year old along and had a wonderful two days! From a breakfast Buffet that has EVERYTHING, to the driving range for my avid 3 year old golfer, baby pool, playground, lake activities-we really needed one more day! Food was consistently great-pricey but Always worth it. S'mores at night was such a treat! Highly recommend (partly wished we would have left the kids as it would have been an awesome romantic get away too! Maybe next time.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was not our first time at a Ritz Carlton resort. We know what to expect and we were a little worried after reading some of the other reviews. I have read things like "Place is not as well kept up as others Ritz", "Not as clean as other Ritz" and even "Inconsitent service". Let me honestly tell you that this resort is absolutely up to Ritz Standards! Now understand that Ritz Carlton is not a cookie cutter company who builds the same resort in different locations. They bring the luxury of the location to life! An amazing luxurious southern plantation in the woods of Georgia is truly brought to life here. What I love so much about this location is that is a real resort! Lots of food options and even if you eat at the same restaurant more than once, the menus have a good variety to choose from. I read on another review that mentioned they have plenty of little areas to relax in, they were not kidding! What I really thought was great was there was plenty of places to swing on a tree swing, take a nap in a hammock, sit in adirondak chairs. They dont just have 1 set of each, there are multiple hammocks, swings, chairs, so if you want to use a hammock and one is occupied they have plenty of others all around they huge grounds along the lake. The one thing I will honestly say I was not prepared for was the formalities this location presents. I did get a sense of dress code preffered in the restaurants. It is a family resort and the grounds and pool are totally casual but I underestimated the dress code and did not bring a pair of slacks. The Linger Longer steakhouse is truly a 5 star steak house, very upscale and very beautiful. My advice is to make a reservation and if you are here for more than one night, make this meal your celebration meal. We ate here our last night of our 4 night stay and it was really a great ending to our trip! We stayed in the Executive Suite and I must say we really enjoyed the room! Very spacious and very clean! It does have a southern rustic charm to it, but it is clean. Ill admit there are some areas of paint chipping and wallpaper peeling but very minor and not enough to dampen your enjoyment unless you really look for it. To me, the resort was definitely up to the rest of Ritz Carlton Resort Standards and you will NOT be dissapointed at all!!!! I also read another comment about seeing garbage in the hallway that was there throughout their stay. I dont know if they have read that comment and now take cleanliness very seriously but every day we left our room the hallway had maid carts with maids in rooms working hard changing sheets, dissinfecting, cleaning rooms and we ordered room service everyday and our cart was always removed by the time we got back after lunch from swimming in the pool. This resort was VERY clean and they are constantly cleaning, dusting, etc.. I also must say some of the best kept secrets at this resort are 2 food items I am still thinking about. the first is the lavender honey we put on complimentary buscuits at Georgia's Bistro. You will get bread and biscuits free while you wait for your meal (served fresh and warm) and they give you lavender honey and butter and it is AMAZING! the other foodie great is the Sweet Potato fries at Gaby's! You can also get these at the pool! My wife and I ordered these 3 of the 4 days we were there! All in all we would go back in a heartbeat and we would love to come back with friends and rent the pontoon as the lake was beautiful. The infinity pool was kept very warm and I had a brief encounter at the SPA which was top notch as all Ritz spas are, this one is DEF on par with the rest! If you thinking about staying here, DO IT! it is beautiful and it was an experience My wife and Daughter and I will not forget!

Room Tip: Although the Lake view are amazing (we had one), we walked around the entire resort and this resort is actually secluded. There is no hotel, store anything next to it as it is completely surrounded by woods. So if you do want to save some money you will not be disappointed by a non lake view room! also get the Sweet Potato fries at Gaby's! They were REALLY GOOD!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This use to be our favorite Ritz. For those of you who have never been will likely find it very good. We have been visiting annually for 7 years and are saddened by the many changes. The property is gorgeous and fortunately management likely cannot ruin that.

The current management or Marriott (depending on which staff member you ask) has cut so many corners and is getting away from the southern hospitality and little extras we always loved.

Firstly we had a club level suite. The club lounge is very good. The staff here seem to be keeping in line with the old gourd thank goodness. Unfortunately, after 7 visits we were not given a welcome amenity for ourselves or our children. Is this really a ritz?
Turn down service brought no slippers or ice. Is this really a Ritz?
The boys roll away's never showed up. They no longer have childrens robes available? I know times are getting tough. But really? Eventually after two calls the beds arrived.
No Bulgari soap? So much for a ritz club level suite. Well after three requests they found some....but warned us they may not have any more.

Laundry was sent out....but never returned. After two calls they found it. A couple hours late but it arrived. Time to call in George the houseman at ritz central park for training....he is always on time!

We noticed there was very little how y'all doing? Turns out after talking to a manager, waiter and actvities person and bellman the current and new management is trying to "tear out" the southern in the southern. Dumb. I asked the front desk who concurred this was the status quo. I asked if anyone complained about people being themselves. She said no...the new management just does not
think it is proper? Dumb. It has always been the southern charm, hospitality and heart that brings
us back every year to Georgia and the Ritz Reynolds.

So current management is bent on cutting corners and wrapping the heart out of Reynolds, however on a bright note....the linger longer steak house was fabulous, the lake is gorgeous and many of the staff seem to be ignoring management and are being themselves....thank goodness.

Stay away from the current activities co ordinator. After a long line of exemplary co ordinators they now have an argumentative, disagreeable one. Really? Really? On the bright side her staff are fabulous!

Finally, the bellman. Most are brilliant....but one of the fellows loading the luggage (sorry I did not get his name) has the the common sense of a door knob. He managed to load our soft luggage/carry ons first and then throw a full size fully loaded Hartman case on top. This resulted in breaking a bottle in a soft leather bag ruining a $1,000.00 bag and a $200.00 bottle of facial oil. Brilliant!

Go and enjoy the property and the warm southern staff that have brought us back year after year. Be aware with the cost cutting measures this is fading away as a top line ritz and if you feel like you are in the north.....thank the new management.

Room Tip: Lakeview with a balcony that has a roof in case it rains you can still enjoy it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hawaiiboundst_thomas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Reynold's Plantation was wonderful! The choices are almost unlimited on where to stay, where to eat and what to do. Cheap it is NOT! We went with another couple and got a package deal that included 2 nights, 2 mornings breakfasts and a $400 credit to be used anywhere at Reynolds. We got a 2 bed/2 bath condo, had breakfast each morning and used the credit to play golf. We had a fabulous time and everything is really first class. The staff is so friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy. Each bar and restaruant was different with their own flare of food and drinks. All the bars served "top shelf" only, which is tasty but also expensive. We ate at Gabby's Lakeside- which is all outdoor seating only. It was actually comfortable with their fans, umbrellas and drinks. The food was great- small menu, as it is a "bar" type atmosphere that caters to the kids, poolside, boaters, etc- but fun! The Lobby Lounge had fun cocktails and a cozy atmosphere, it is located in the Main House of Reynolds. The decor' is traditional with what I picture a "Lake Lodge" to be like, but also elegant at the same time. There are several pools around, the lake, docks, boat and jetski rental and of course golf! The courses are beautiful with waterfalls, creeks, manicured flower beds and scenic views. If you haven't tried Reynolds, save up some vacation time and spending money and try it! We'll be back to play the next course and try other lodging! Look for their online deals- well worth it!

Room Tip: We stayed in a condo which was perfect for 2 couples. Full living room, kitchen, laundry facilities, decks, etc-
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton Lodge was just what we were looking for. My wife and I have frequented this property several times, and have never been let down by this resort. The valet/bell staff gives a great first impression, which is upheld by the front desk staff. We were checked in quickly and easily found our room.

The room was slightly worn, but that was the only detractor from our stay. Our room had a great view of Lake Oconee, and a large balcony.

This property is perfect for a peaceful get-a-way, it is removed from hustle and bustle of any kind and the grounds are large enough to completely escape if you want to, or you can chill by the pool or lake and be waited on by the wonderful Ritz staff.

We will be back.