“Relaxing escape”

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Reynolds Plantation twice now and we love it. Very relaxing, beautiful property, fantastic service. It is like a very upscale lodge, complete with a campfire with smores, adirondack chairs overlooking the lake, etc. There is also a beautiful outdoor pool and, although, we have not taken our kids with us it seems to be a very kid-friendly destination (playground on site, kids club). We have used the spa twice and found it excellent both times, beautiful facilities (including indoor pool) and great therapists. Services are expensive, but that is to be expected. We have also had dinner on site at the restaurant downstairs in the main building but did not love it. The food was good enough, but the room was really a bit dated so the overall atmosphere was not great. We also had breakfast (and sat outside on the patio) and that was great. Pretty much everything about this place is expensive, but for a special occasion it is well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We were here for a work related trip, very nice staff, helpful.
The rooms were pretty ( our view not so much - a big tent) the restaurants were ok - not amazing, but we ventured off property and found some better options. The grounds were beautiful and the lake pristine. The pool area eas fun, just get up really early if you want a good chair by the pool and claim your territory. People left things there for hours before coming down, and the staff didn't move their things. Good to know!

Room Tip: Ask for a high lake view room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

If you are looking for a luxurious resort with a rustic feel, the Ritz Lodge at Reynolds Plantation has both. We just returned from 4 nights and, while overall we had a very good experience, there are things which could (should) be improved.

Although our Executive Suite was spacious and nicely decorated, the bathroom was not kept as clean as I would expect from a Ritz hotel. The glass shower door was cloudy with water residue and the floor mats were dingy. Shampoo and conditioner bottles were left nearly empty without a replacement. I understand the conservation mentality, but at Ritz prices I should not have to call to get a small bottle of conditioner and shampoo replaced. Also, one of the two bathrobes was missing and when I called to ask for the other robe, the housekeeper insisted that it was hanging behind the door and I had to show the housekeeper that it was not there before she would believe me. In addition, the furniture seemed a little too worn and I was surprised to see paint peeling on the balcony railings. It is time for some updating and repairs.

While there we ate at Georgia's Bistro (average food), Gaby's By The Lake (very casual, but good food) and Linger Longer Steakhouse (very good and, by far, the best of the on premises restaurants). Our best meal was not on premises- it was Da Corrado, which is a couple of miles from the resort. Outstanding authentic Italian food in a nice setting with great service.

The service at the hotel was generally good, but I was surprised when I asked the Concierge to confirm our hotel room at the Ritz Buckhead (where we were staying for a night before returning home) and was given the phone number so I could call myself. In addition, I was disappointed to see charges for a restaurant where we never ate and for mini bar items that we never consumed which were added to our bill after we checked out- so make sure that you request an updated statement after check out.

As for the positive- the setting is magnificent. There is a small beach by the Lake, along with lakeside activities. The infinity pool appears to flow into the Lake and the poolside service is top notch. There is water readily available poolside and the staff came around periodically with samples of frozen drinks. The lunch service poolside was atttentive.

We enjoyed the complimentary S'mores by the firepit each evening. Also, the spa facilities are first class.

All in all, the Lodge provides a wonderful setting for a vacation. Although there were some odd glitches, the staff was, for the most part, helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: Rooms with a lake view are spectacular.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cgf
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This past weekend I stayed at the Ritz at Reynolds Plantation and had an amazingly relaxing time. The staff was more than attentive and I was warmly welcomed with some fabulous extras by my travel agent Jamie at Century Travel. I highly recommend Jamie at Century Travel if you need to book for any Ritz stay. And, the Reynolds property is a must if you are looking for a relaxing time!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had a college reunion of old friends & spouses. We had not all been together for 20 years so we had to pick a special venue. We picked the right place! The golfing was top notch & our wives reported that they had one of the best massages ever.
The spread at the breakfast buffet was world class, & prepared you for an active day.
Played National first day, & enjoyed the great views during the round. Then played Great Waters the second day, which had some nice holes along the water. All & all just a memorable trip that we hope to make an annual event.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed for a few days on business last month, and the property is wonderful. If you like staying at places that are a bit off the beaten path, this is for you. The hotel is perfection from the lobby to the guest rooms to the swimming pool. I would expect this from a Ritz Carlton, but this is the nicest one in which I've stayed. The food was terrific, and I have food allergies. Most hotels catering to business meetings do not really cater to people with food issues, but the Ritz does a great job. The usual fare for allergy sufferers is grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. The Ritz staff made me entrees that mirrored what they were serving, but they made it without the ingredients that bother me. Great service! Thank you for that.

We also had a wonderful pontoon boat ride on Lake Oconee and got a beautiful sunset cruise.

I definitely would go back here for a vacation. Outstanding.

Room Tip: Request a lake view. It's gorgeous.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gms9855
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed for 3 perfect days in April, 2012. The property is beautiful; views are spectacular; service is outstanding; and the food is top notch, whether it's dining by the lake, splurging at the Linger Longer Steakhouse or enjoying evening s'mores by the fire. Would I return for another visit? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Lake views are the best!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
#6 of 10 in Milledgeville
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
#1 of 10 in Milledgeville

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!