The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Holiday Lodge(Greensboro)
Budget Inn(Eatonton)
Western Motel(Eatonton)
1,279 results
All reviewsinfinity poolclub levelgingerbread houselake viewbeautiful propertyresort feefire pitgreat resortlinger longer steakhouselong weekendwalking trailsromantic getawayjet skibusiness meetingfamily vacationlake activitiesgreat weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 24, 2007

We arrived at the hotel on Thanksgiving day, to be told the suite we had booked for ourselves and our 4-year old daughter was not available, so they would be giving us a regular room at a discount, but this room was not available, so we would have to wait, they would call us. We went to have our Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel, not so great, far from intimate, a big over-priced noisy buffet, and then went to get our room which we had never been called.

When we arrived in a regular room (2 double beds, nothing special), the room was made up, but filthy. Not sure if someone with a dog had been staying in the room before but there was dust and hair EVERYWHERE, on all the flat surfaces, there was something on the floor that could have been old chocolate candy, OR, something else... did not get close to smell it. In one of the drawers was old garbage and panels were missing from the fixtures in the bathroom.

There was nothing about this first room that said 'Ritz Carlton' to us, and we felt that even with the discount we received we were paying too much for what we could have had just as well at a Hampton Inn.

So we called the front desk and complained and they pawned us to housekeeping, who insisted they send someone up to us, the woman from housekeeping Ms. Morris, was WONDERFUL and knew I felt bad about complaining (especially on a day when people were working and away from their own families). She insisted we allow them to clean the room and offered to find us another room. I told her things weren't shaping up as we expected because we had booked a suite and now would be having a whole new experience living on top of our daughter for the next few days. She told us to go to the lounge and relax and a few minutes later someone came and asked us to go back to our room to check it out. Ms. Morris had found us a suite and would have everything taken to it, I overheard her telling someone on the phone 'make sure it is spotless!'.

In switching our rooms there was again a disconnect on the administrative side. The people at the front desk were incapable of making us the proper keys or expediting anything. I asked for it in writing that we were receiving a discount, to only be told 'oh, don't worry about it' but then insisted and thankfully I did insist on getting our room rate printed on our room cards, because upon checkout we were billed the entire rate, to which I picked up the phone and had no luck convincing the woman on the line that I had received something. I told her how frustrating the administrative side of the entire experience was and said I had it in writing.. she told me I'd need to bring that to the front desk. THANK GOODNESS I HAD ASKED FOR IT IN WRITING!!! It was the difference of $400!!!

The grounds are nice, the bonfire was wonderful, Georgia's was delicious, the buffets were over-priced, but this is not a 5-star hotel, maybe 4.25, some things are still lacking.

Stayed: November 2007
7  Thank busymomAtlanta
Reviewed November 19, 2007

We celebrated my husband's 40th birthday and could not have had a better time!!!
After reading some of the posted reviews, I was a little skeptical about staying at this property. Pleasantly, to my surprise, we experienced only fantastic service and a helpful attitude, all around!
Upon check in, we were upgraded to a lakeview room. Our room was very spacious and had a great view.
When we came in from our afternoon golf game, the hotel had brought a great birthday gift of chocolates and other goodies.
My husband is an avid golfer, so he enjoyed playing The Oconee, The Plantation, and the Great Waters golf courses.
We did the Chimnea Dinner, down by the lake, and really had a great time.
I would certainly recommend this property for a most memorable trip! (We are already planning our next visit!)

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoamingGnomette
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a 3 night stay in celebration of our 25th anniversary. The was our first time at this property and we were very impressed with the grounds and the main building, and the valets and front desk employees were excellent as we've come to expect from the Ritz. We stayed in a junior suite on the Executive level and I highly recommend the extra expense, the Lounge is outstanding because you can eat and drink there virtually all day and night.

Our room had a wonderful view of Lake Oconee and the pool, we could also watch the campfire from the balcony of our room. We had a couples massage on our big day and it was above average (not the best, but very good. My wife loved hers). The health club has excellent equipment and we took advantage of it every day.

We dined at Gaby's on the lake and at Linger Longer, and both were excellent if a bit expensive (hey, it's the Ritz, what do you expect?). As someone else mentioned, we received complimentary champagne and souffle from the staff at Linger Longer. Our waiter, Jimmy (make sure you ask for him) also provided us with 2 bottles of Voss water and more desserts to take back to our room.

Our room was cleaned to our satisfaction every day and we never had to ask for anything extra, including the ice that the maid brought each day.

This place is perfect for families and we'll definitely return with the kids but I'll be certain to pay the extra to stay on the Executive level. My boys are eating machines and this place is perfect.

So why didn't I score the property a perfect 5? Despite beiing only 6 years old, it's already showing some unusual wear and tear. In our room there were clothes hooks missing from the bathroom wall, and the wall supports remained in full view. The TV's are low end models and I couldn't get the DVD player to work. These need an upgrade, for these prices the Ritz should install flat panels. We also noticed some cookie crumbs in the sofa in our room, and in one of the lobby transoms, near the spa exit, there was the largest cobweb (along with the spider who made them) that remained in full view for the 3 days we were there. Other cobwebs were noticed in the hallways. So the cleaning isn't quite up to Ritz standards.

We'll go back

Stayed: September 2007
5  Thank msh305
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My wife and I attended a friend's wedding with most of those attending staying on the property. We've stayed at other Ritz-Carltons before and expect the experience to be stress free. First impressions are EVERYTHING. We were meeting other friends at a restaurant off the property. When we arrived just before check-in time to see if we could go ahead and get our keys we asked the valet to let us keep our car up front. The young man was fine with that - but, apparently his older co-worker (he's short with a silly mustache for those who want to know) decided to have a 'hissy fit' about it. I assured him we were not staying long by giving him our keys. When we returned (after finding out they mispelled our names wrong on the reservation and having to wait 2 hours after check-in time to actually get keys) we made sure we tipped the younger valet attendent and let the older guy know he wasn't going to be getting any business from us or others while we were there.

The room was by far the smallest I've ever seen at a Ritz. We had asked for at least a queen sized bed and received a room with two full sized beds (we haven't seen one in almost 20 years).

There were three other weddings at the Ritz that weekend so the place was probably fully booked. There were three functions associated with the wedding we attended (including the reception) that served food. There was nothing wrong with anything there - some things like their 'low country' dish was a bit odd (cornbread in it?) but the quality was maybe average at best.

I felt bad for our friends when the reception didn't go very smooth. It seems that there was only one wedding planner (an employee) who was working all three weddings at the same time. The band they had hired played during the sit down dinner but then took (at least) an hour break and had to be found to get them to play. The cutting of the cake didn't occur until about 3 hrs after the actual wedding (and a few people had left since there was no band and not much going on). The Ritz needs to rethink the way they handle multiple weddings with one person in charge.

The staff does do a good job of making sure things get handled overall. Other than the older valet attendent with 'short man's attitude' everyone was pleasant and helpful.

The serving of lemonade is a nice touch - but I didn't really care for the spicey hot pecans. Maybe they make them spicy so kids won't make pigs of themselves (my guess).

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank chas57
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed at the resort August during the hot time of summer here in Georgia. When we arrived, the valet attendants were very hot and seemed to be "out of steam" and so did not provide the best service, although they were not unfriendly.

When we arrived at our room (lakeside), we could immediately smell a musty smell. The room was smaller than we anticipated, but adequate. We were delighted to find a nice card with chocolate covered strawberries awaiting us in celebration of our anniversary. That was very nice. Upon examining the bathroom, we were very surprised and disappointed with the stains in the bathroom toilet. We didn't know if the bathroom had not been cleaned or if the stains were the result of constant use. But for the Ritz, this was quite a surprising disappointment. A few minutes after our arrival, the room above us apparently had small children, because we could hear jumping and running above us. After this went on for some time, we call the front desk, and the noise stopped soon after.

The fridge in the room was stocked with drinks. But, unfortunately, the goodies were on an "honor system", so in order to enjoy these snacks, we had to be willing to pay dearly for these items. It was disappointing late in the night to look at wine, beer and cold drinks and refuse to take them. What a tease.

Overall, we felt the resort "nickel and dimed" their guests to death. Everything had a large pricetag. Other more expensive hotels and other less expensive ones provided free the things this hotel charged for.

There were some nice touches. They had a campfire at night where they allowed the guests to make s'mores. Also, the front desk area served lemonade and wonderful sugared pecans. All in all, we were disappointed with our overall experience and will not go back again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family