“Way too expensive for what you get”

Kiku Japanese Steak House
Ranked #94 of 248 Restaurants in Gainesville
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
“Way too expensive for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I had sushi, salad, and miso. No alcohol, and my wife had some sushi as well. I will admit that I ate a lot, but not anything approaching $100 for two. The sushi was at least fresh, but some of the pieces were bland and flavorless. I can say that they were busy, but service was slow and I would be embarrassed to have that as my representation of my best offerings. I will give it a second chance someday when I have an extra couple of hundred to spend on mediocre food and service

“Prices Hiked, way too expensive now!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I had been eating here three to four times a month. But after recent price hikes our family of four can't eat here for less than $120. The servers admitted price hikes of 25% on all sushi and rolls.
Also, all hibachi meals, wine, beer were raised too. We all felt the portions were smaller also.
what was a top 5 for us is barely a top 10 any more. We now drive to Buford to save $25 to $40 per meal. Service is average, meals aren't as good as Atlanta sushi places. Oh, watch out for a $7 plate sharing charge!
They know they are it in Gainesville an until they get competition, just watch your wallet.

• Visited December 2013
Dothan, Alabama
“sushi was pretty! not flavorful and very expensive!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

i come to gainesville on a regular basis and was excited about the possibility of finding a great sushi place to get my weekly fix. the service was really slow and i never got a smile! i ordered a mojito to start and had to send it back...the bartender forgot the simple syrup...changer to a house glass of pino and all was well. first of all i like lots of ginger...lots of ponzu sauce...lots of wasabi...and lots of seafood sauce. the ponzu was not good and the seafood sauce was bad also. i ordered two specialty rolls and they just weren't very good. Since this was my first trip I always give a second chance. but my tab after tip was 44 dollars...a little strong for me!

• Visited September 2013
Helen, Georgia
“My family's favorite place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I love KIKU's. It is our favorite place to eat. No other Japanese restuarant compares. Make an appt for afternoons or you might have to wait a little bit. Very entertaining!

• Visited January 2013
Afton, Tennessee
“Plentiful food, slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We tried Kiku for the first time on July 4th, coming in on the tail end of a busy dinner rush. We waited about 15 min for a seating and then had several long waits for our drinks, salads and soup. The ginger dressing was not as pronounced as in other restaurants and was thinner in consistency. Our chef was talented and entertaining but did not do as much as I have seen at other restaurants (nothing fancy with shrimp or the expected "volcano". The filet mignon was much more flavorful than the sirloin and I would spend the extra money for it. The shrimp, chicken and scallops were fine and the rice was nothing special. We did have to wait a long time for the accompanying desert (vanilla ice cream) and the check. Altogether, I would say that we spent an extra 20 min at dinner due to the lack of service. Would I go back? Yes, but I would not rush to do so.

• Visited July 2013