“Typical 70's Steakhouse”

Ranked #17 of 269 Restaurants in Gainesville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stopped at Poor Richards on New Years Eve to eat a couple of apps and have a drink before heading home from a day at the hospital. We had the French Onion Soup and the Artichoke Dip. The French Onion Soup was one of the best I have ever had. If you like a lot of cheese on your soup, this is the soup for you. The broth was rich and the onion pieces were nice and bite size. Not the long stringy pieces you usually get in the soup. The artichoke dip is not oily or greasy at all. We had it with the crab on top and it was very good. The decor is very typical of a steakhouse that was built in the 70's. The wood paneling and wood is abundant, so is the brass details. The carpet also looks like it should have been changed years ago. We only had the apps so I don't know how the other food is, but the two things that we had were very good.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Several years ago I boycoted this place because a waitress tasted my fish off my plate at my table after I told her it tasted "fishy." I just went back the other day as a guest of a birthday party and had the special (shrimp and grits). Special it was! I can honestly say it was the second worst meal I have had in Gainesville Georgia! Service was mediocre at best, and the food was awful. Stay away!

1  Thank docscb
Reviewed November 11, 2013

we have been here quite a few times over the years and food quality is not as good. I know everywhere has it's off day's and maybe that was it. the person behind me complain about their steak was nothing but fat. I ordered a filet got a sirloin and it was very visible the server asked about my order. I kept what I had for the price difference because it took over forty five minutes after our salads for the meal. I didn't want to wait another hour. several of the tables were complaining about the wait our server kept say Richard was cook tonight.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We eat at Poor Richard's ten to fifteen times per year, and it is always good. Entree prices are reasonable for high quality food, and the prime rib is great.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Had a family birthday dinner here and it was a wonderful experience. All of the entrees were delicious, and the service was professional and attentive. Servings were so generous that this group of big eaters had to take some home to be enjoyed later. The menu goes from hamburgers to Chateubriand, but all of the food is well prepared and wonderful. This is without a doubt the best restaurant in Gainesville if not all of of North Georgia. Reasonable wine list, but that does not mean that the wine was not served professionally - it was. That said, prices for dinner and wine were more than reasonable. Eat anywhere else in Gainesville and you have wasted your money.