“Not a welcoming restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scott's Downtown

Scott's Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Scott's Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 247 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Academy Street
Description: Casual Fine Dining in a comfortable atmosphere is the best way to describe Gainesville's premier Downtown eatery. Great food prepared with attention to detail, an unparalleled wine list and the best wait staff North of Atlanta are some of the hallmarks of Scott's. We are located in downtown Gainesville in the historic Pilgrim Estes building. Our menu offers a wide range of choices from USDA Prime, hand cut steaks, the freshest seafood and local produce with seasonally inspired weekly specials. With a wine list of over 150 wines,many by the glass you will certainly be able to find a perfect match for your menu selection. Enjoy one of our five private dining rooms for two to celebrate that special occasion or one of our larger rooms for social and business events. We have dinner hours, live entertainment on the weekends and lunch hours during the week. Our new bar and lounge is now opened! We are Atlanta & North Georgia's best kept secret!
Atlanta, GA 30319
“Not a welcoming restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had reservations for my wedding anniversary at Scott's but didn't ago because of an emergency. So when my husband suggested we try it out for lunch, I was excited. I'm old and don't get out much so any new restaurant is a treat for me. This location is new for the restaurant and across the street from our local library so I knew where we were going. We entered and found an empty bar. I called out but got no reply. We went outside and wondered what to do. I told my husband to wait outside and I would investigate. After all, there was a menu posted near the door and my husband had gotten a 25% off coupon on email. Feeling like an intruder, I ventured past the empty bar area down a hallway and saw some movement at the far end....Kept going and finally saw a waiter-type guy who went to get some menus. I told him about the empty bar and he said, "O, I only open the bar at night." Bottom line: There were only a few people eating and the acoustics were such that the noise level with only a couple occupied tables was bad. We both felt foolish for having come in the wrong entrance and very unwelcome when we arrived in the dining room. This restaurant is considered upscale in the small burg of Gainesville. I think an upscale restaurant should make your dining experience effortless. Since this one didn't, I won't be visiting again. We proceeded from Scott's to the Atlanta Seafood restaurant where we always feel welcome and we know the food is good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bicycle1

Cornelia, Georgia
“Nice, could be better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I made reservations at Scott's on a Friday night. This was our first experience there. Although it was the day after Valentine's day, the restaurant was not as busy as I had expected. We were seated right away, although rather than be seated in the main dining room we were put at a tiny table in a little room on the outside wall (which made it a bit cold). This felt a bit strange, especially when other coupless were seated at the only two other tables in this little room. It felt more awkward than romantic. The service was polite, although not very prompt, and it got slower as the meal progressed. The appetizer was beautiful to look at and tasty, but not stellar. The steaks and sides were absolutely wonderful. MY husband is a real steak snob and he thoroughly enjoyed his. I think if the service improved a bit, and the appetizers were as good as the entrees and sides, this would be worth the price.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ThereasaR
Gainesville, Georgia
“Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Only have had lunch and it was delightful. The service is attentive, the menu is interesting, It is just a little too pricy to go frequently for dinner.

Visited March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Local Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I rarely write reviews, but this one impressed me so much that I am pleased to recommend this establishment.

Food is excellent, well thought out menu and always a great combo of unexpected flavors. Fresh and presented beautifully. Servers care and are superb. Nice atmosphere. Good music.

Owner takes great pride in his business, and it shows! Local gem for sure.

• Visited December 2012
Dahlonega, Georgia
“horrid food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

absolutely the worst restaurant in the state of GA. I would never eat there again even if my life depended on it. the service was bad and the food was worse. it had to be sent back several times to get it done right.

• Visited April 2012