“Very Pleased” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Uchee Creek Army Campground and Marina

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Benning
Uchee Creek Army Campground and Marina
Fayetteville NC
“Very Pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

My family stayed at the Cabins at Uchee Creek for a long weekend. I was pleasently surprised how comfortable and adorable the cabins were for the price. They are completely made from logs for the authentic log cabin feel and most all the furniture is made of rustic wood, or leather right down to the head bord. Some cabins have an adorable loft space perfect for children, with a full service kitchen. It was exceptionally clean and the grounds were well maintained. We had lots of fun just spending the day on the camp grounds enjoying hiking, playgrounds, shooting bow and arrows, swinging on the porch swing. I have now stayed here 3 different times and am planning another trip this January!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank annarisinger27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

After the long drive from Indiana to Ft Mitchell, Alabama - I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and the homey atmosphere at Uchee Creek! I have stayed at the campgrounds twice and have enjoyed both the small (sleeps 4) and the large (sleeps 6) cabin.*Note: It is definitely worth the few extra $ for the upgrade to large! The full size fridge came in handy as we stuffed it full in preparation for the huge cook out we had on the patio! There is a small grocery store with loads of country charm called Rainbow Grocery. We found everything we needed priced- reasonably and even a bag boy who carried our groceries to the van - loaded them and refused to take a tip!
I highly recommend you drive about 2 miles past your turn off on Hwy 169 and get supplies before you hit the campgrounds..Because once you get settled in you'll want to sit on the porch and watch the deer and squirrels play.
For entertainment there was fishing , bowling on the base, shopping close by and lots of history... I especially loved our visit to Ft Mitchell's nearby Chattahoochee Indian museum and fort. ...where we climbed aboard a mule drawn wagon and got a history lesson on the old fort and it's original trading post etc. The archeological dig and the research was fascinating. Imogene ( the lady who works at the museum) is a priceless fount of knowledge herself and will always be remembered for her sweet southern "drawl" and willingness to make us feel like family!
Another little treasure is the town of Eufala just a few miles south..the town square is beyond quaint! Its like stepping back in time with well manicured flower beds and old southern homes lining the streets.. The antique shops and thrift stores are full of unique souvenirs.. I brought home several!
THE MINOR DRAW BACK OF ENTIRE TRIP WAS THE MOSQUITOES...pack some bug repellent.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank APr0udMilitaryM0m
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

Stop at the main welcome center at Ft. Benning and get the good map! We kept getting turned up Lumpking road. It was alot easier when the rain stopped. We arrived in dark and pouring rain and most of our stay was in dark and pouring rain. We were there for 3 days. When the rain did stop, the campground was beautiful. We went around the campground just to make sure there were 2 herd of deer.One with about 20, the other with about 30! We grew up in Colorado, so we are used to camping and cabins. **The Park Home we stayed in was an upscale trailer home version with a screened porch. Nice. Once we took our soldier there, all he wanted to do was relax there. We got him to go into town and base for shopping and restaurants. But the down time there was a relief to all of our minds. We will never forget it. **The park home, only had a jack for dialup. If you wanted the wireless, you had to go to the country store. Since we were there early or late that was out of the question. **Stop for some groceries at the AAFEs convenience store with all the gas pumps. It is on the way up Dixie Road. We picked up ramen noodles and sodas for the evening to hold us over till the next day. The lady at the store was so nice, she almost brought me to tears telling me how proud and handsome my soldier was. There was a little store out down the road. Where a nice man actually was so honest, asked me why I was spending too much money at his store. He said I should just go several miles to the market! The staff at the country store was wonderful and as soon as I told them there might be some seepage, called a man over and sent him right out in a cart to go look. **There were maps pegged to the board for late arrivals, but not one for us. But the camp host was clearly marked. The buildings had a park no. and a militay bldg. no. The camp host gave us a map to our place. Everyone was so friendly in all the businesses and restaurants etc. and so very polite and well mannered. We stayed over to see Stone Mountain by Atlanta. Cool day. The weather was awful the whole trip and even at the hotels in Atlanta, the internet was slow or went off and on.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Ready2goColorado
Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

I stayed at Uchee Creek from 27 Mar - 4 April while visiting Fort Benning. While I found the campground very relaxing and worth the price, I had serious concerns with the staff of Uchee Creek. I stayed in a Chalet overlooking Uchee Lake. When I arrived, I was told I wouldn't be allowed to check-in for another hour and a half because the Chalet was being cleaned. Well, I rode over to the chalet while killing time. There was no one there. The cleaning staff showed up 15 mins prior to me getting the key. The lady quickly mopped the floor and left. I actually watched and timed her. Throughout our stay, we had minor issues and reported them to the staff, but received the same old tired look. As if we were bothering them for asking them to do their job. We reported a rat in our chalet and was told, well there are traps out there. My perception of Uchee Creek staff is that they have worked there entirely too long and need to find a profession that they are actually interested in.

Also, DO NOT COUNT ON CELL PHONE SERVICE WHILE THERE.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank tomdives
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed at Uchee Creek Campground for Family Day and Graduation at Fort Benning from Feb. 5-7, 2009. It is a fabulous place to stay. I read the reviews on this website and we were not disappointed! We rented a large cabin and there were 5 of us staying there...plenty of room. We counted 42 deer in the campground while driving through one evening! The view of the river is beautiful. The people at the campstore couldn't have been nicer. The cabin was very clean. They even supply you with basic cooking tools, pots, pans, dishes... there are linens and towels and a hair dryer and ironing board/iron. A nice size refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster and TV. The furniture is awesome...leather sofa and the beds look like timbers. An absolute deal to stay there! You get so much for the price and you have the convenience of making meals right there - a huge savings over eating out. There is a little grocery store a few miles down the road - Rainbow Foods off RT. 165. It takes about 20 min. to get from the campground to Sand Hill, but that is because you are traveling on backroads and then through the base (where the speed limit is very low). If you plan to stay there, I recommend stopping at the Fort Benning main gate - off RT. 185 to get your visitor's pass for clearance to the base before you head to the campground. That way, you will be able to travel directly through the base instead of out around. The one thing the other reviews mentioned...it is a little difficult to find in the dark...but certainly not impossible! We hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Liked — price
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
5 Thank soldiermomPA
Ogden, UT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2008

I agree with everything said on the review of February 2008.

We stayed December 9-13, 2007 in a Large Cabin. We arrived just before midnight and it was a little confusing to find where the mobile home was to check-in, so it would be better coming in the daylight hours. We had a large cabin backing onto the Chatahooche River. The moss trees (like spaghnum moss) reminded me of some scary movie, but it was really beautiful in the daylight hours.

It was fun driving around at night or just before dusk to see the lights on the communication and water towers. We thought we were seeing a UFO (See picture)

We picked up some food at Wal-mart on the 10th in Columbus.(The roads in Columbus were a little confusing to find which direction to go, but we eventually made it.

The cabin was clean and just right for our small group and we were able to find where my son's Basic Training graduation was. I loved Fort Benning and its history. We were able to see the beautiful historic buildings in the Fort's center area. We were told by the Fort Chaplain that there is a building on the fort that holds a World Record for having the longest continuous roof or porch. We drove over and saw it and it was a "feel good" moment. Everyone at Fort Benning was very friendly and informative.

The wooded areas were wonderful and beautiful. I found the Georgia asphalt very intriguing as it really sparkles all over Georgia (see picture).

It is best to get your access pass for Fort Benning the day prior to any graduation ceremonies and remember to ask for a pass for your entire stay.

I thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations and it was a wonderful way to enjoy an exciting family event. It seemed more like a vacation than it would spending the time in a regular hotel.

Everyone in our group thoroughly enjoyed the woodland setting and cozy and family friendly accommodations.

• Liked — comfortable laid back hangout (A vacation away from the city hustle and bustle)
  • Disliked — Base Directions
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
8 Thank footsilly
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

This campground is outside Fort Benning base. I stayed in the large Chalet, they have several places to choice from to stay. The Chalet was incredible. Two bedrooms down stairs, one bathroom, a large living room kitchen area and a loft with two bunk beds. Very roomy ,clean and excellent condition. I was very impressed. Only caution is if you can get there in daylight do so. It is marked fairly well to get there from base. If arrive after 5:00 p.m. the country store will be closed but do go up to the door and it will tell you where to go. Well it will tell you which trailer to go to. Just get back on road came in and do not go back same way you came in go same direction you were going to country store and right after there will be a gate. The # to open the gate is right there in plain view and then just look for the # that is shown on the door of the country store and someone will be there to give you your key at one of the trailers. Do not stay on Victory Drive. My brother and his family stayed at Days Inn on Victory Drive. I will just say don't stay in that area it is not very ruputable. We could see the paratroopers right from the porch in the back. See attached pictures.

• Liked — The facility was beautiful and clean.
  • Disliked — You have to travel to get anywhere. It really is in the middle of nowhere.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Columbus/Near Fort Benning
Candlewood Suites Columbus Fort Benning
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus

Been to Uchee Creek Army Campground and Marina? Share your experiences!