“wonderful surprise!”
Review of Grits Cafe

Grits Cafe
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Forsyth
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Charleston, SC
“wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

The Grits Café was such a surprise! The service was excellent and the food was delicious. I had the arugula salad which was full of peaches, strawberries, and candied pecans with a light citrus vinegarette. I also enjoyed the southwest spring rolls which were crunchy and chock full of vegetables and shrimp. Lastly we sampled the duck pizza. It was truly fabulous!!! If you go to Forsythe, make time for this restaurant.

Visited June 2014

Salisbury, North Carolina
“Inverse relation between price and serving”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

For a small bowl of so-so chicken noodle soup and a piece of pizza on baguette bread, ca. 6 inches in length, I would say that $9 is too much. To call the place overpriced and pretentious is to accord it an accurate description. The alternatives in Forsyth may seem plainer in appearance, but I am certain they serve more filling meals at more reasonable prices, and the next time I'm there, I will go to them, not to Grits.

Savannah, Georgia
“Sorry to See it Go Downhill”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We have been customers since before it was victim to an awful fire and then rebuilt. We had always had a delightful time and flavorful food until we booked a table of five for our son's graduation from Mercer University. When my husband made the reservation he was asked if it was a for a special occasion and he said yes, explaining...

Our family of five arrived at the restaurant and the reservation had been written in the book for the Friday, not the Saturday as we wished. I was in the room when my husband made the reservation so I know the mistake was not ours. However, these things can happen and we waited a good 15 minutes for a table, still in an anticipatory mood.

We ordered drinks and I ordered a special beer; when the waitress arrived with it she informed me that they had no more clean beer glasses, but I could have a water glass. This was not her fault but it is a chic restaurant so I was surprised. Still everything was fine however.

We ordered appetizers and a main course and waited a little over a half hour in between with no visit from our server. This was not fine, but we wanted our boys' evening to be special so we let it go.

However, when our meals arrived, my plate was hot but my meal was cool. My husband's meal was lukewarm, and our son's fiancee's dish was as well. Our oldest son's plate was warm which was not appropriate for his sashimi-style tuna.

I was the only one to complain as, once again, everyone was determined to make this a special event. The waitress took my plate back and was very apologetic, bringing me a small bowl of soup to occupy me while I watched everyone else eat. My plate returned and the fish was now warm, but the rest was cold. Ah well, I did not want to make an issue in front of my sons at this point. Of course everyone was finished by the time my food arrived.

We asked for the bill after the entree and were charged a service charge of $50 for five people. Normally this does not start at a restaurant for parties under six people and we were not pleased, but let it go; our oldest son had flown out from San Francisco just for this graduation of his youngest brother and we were not going to make waves.

I am still wondering why we were asked if the reservation was for a special occasion. The waitress knew our son had just graduated, congratulated him and that was that.

The bill for four people was $335 plus tip and honestly I have had better food at places like Red Lobster for a fraction of the price: hot food, on time, prompt service and proper recognition of a special occasion and no service charge for a party under six people.

I am not tempted to go back to what once was one of the favorite eateries for my husband and me. I can easily spend $335 somewhere better prepared with better cuisine.

5 Thank Boedicea
Toronto
“Exceptional Find, Worth the Drive to Georgia!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

What a dining experience!! From the warm, southern welcome, the charm of our waiter, Josh, to delicious bread pudding for dessert, we truly enjoyed our evening spent at Grits Cafe. So happy to have found this remarkable restaurant. Cheese biscuits are melt in your mouth (1 is never enough)! Highly recommended is their seafood specials. The crab au gratin appetizer is enough for a meal and delectable. We were ever so surprised to see an outstanding wine list and enjoyed a rare find, Kosta Browne Pinot Noir. Kudos to chef owner Wayne, and his wife, Terri, with our grateful thanks for stopping to chat about Canada, travelling and good wine!

1 Thank CanadiantravellerTO
California
“I hated grits until I ate here”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

So it's been 15 years since I've been to Georgia..came for a retirement party and my hosts brought me here for my birthday. What a charming place! We had a number of great appetizers, yes, with grits and they were awesome. Great drinks, great service, superb food. It was a wonderful birthday.