“Fantastic Trip”

Okefenokee Adventures
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Folkston
More attraction details
Owner description: Okefenokee Adventures is the Visitor Services Contractor located at the primary entrance to Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge - also known as the East entrance, Folkston entrance or Suwannee Canal Recreation Area. We offer guided, interpretive tours, canoe & kayak tours & rentals, walking & driving trails, full service cafe & gift shop. We cater to individuals & groups. Refuge Visitor Center has a film, exhibits & displays.
Daytona Beach, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic Trip”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We loved the boat tour. Chip was our guide and was excellent! He was funny and very knowledgeable. He pointed out the gators, turtles and a red shoulder hawk nest. We were able to see the baby hawks hanging outside the nest! We even seen 2 baby sand hill cranes! Thanks Chip for a great and memorable trip to the Okefenokee. We now understand more about this wonderful place and we will be back!

Visited May 2012
2 Thank MandM5570

Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A wonderful overnight experience”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My husband, 13 year old son and I did an overnight trip into the Okefenokee with Sheila. We had two canoes and a kayak and stayed at the Coffee Bay shelter. It was an excellent trip and we saw lots of birds, alligators, butterflies, dragonflies and plants beginning to flower. Sheila gave us lots of swamp lore as well as keeping us well fed.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank L M
Sudbury, MA
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Great visit”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We weren't planning to come here but had a day to burn on a recent long weekend so we decided to give it a try. I was expecting something like the Everglades, but the landscape here is totally different. We came on a cold day in February, still we saw at least twenty alligators. I definitely recommend the boat trip. It takes you down the canal and then into the "prairie". If I lived in that area, I'd love to rent a canoe and sleep on one of the islands in the swamp. No idea how busy it gets in the summer but in February it was very calm and serene.

4 Thank mix579
Augusta, Georgia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“This trip was amazing!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We took an extended tour-3 hours- had our own boat, only our family members and a great tour guide, Ron Linquest. Ron was laid back, informative and more than willing to stop and start the boat to suit our needs. We saw 117 alligators. So many, we started to take them for granted. We saw amazing selections of birds, including great blue heron, white cranes, sand hill cranes , flocks of Ibis, hawks, kingfishers, wild turkey- too many to name or remember. I'd have liked to see otters, but given the number of gators, wasn't t surprised we missed them. Saw lots of turtles sunning themselves. The water level was very low, we were limited in the area we could cover, but in m option, it was a top rate trip. I'd go again in a skinny minute.

2 Thank augustamom
Brunswick, GA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Queen Bee Is Impressed and Awed”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I've lived within 2 hours of the Okefenokee Swamp for 4 years, plus vacationed on the coast for many years, but never took the time to visit Folkston or the Okefenokee Wild Life Refugee. OMG! Did I make a mistake. The town is precious, but the swamp is beyond my wildest dreams. I had no idea Georgia's interior supports one of the largest federal refugees in the eastern half of the country. The group I was with took a ride with Okefenokee Joe and Joy (Okefenokee Adventures) on a flat bottomed boat that barely sat above the water line. The scenery is nothing like you imagine it to be. The swamp burnt in 2010/11 and now the ground level growth is returning in the most beautiful color of spring green. It truely gives you a sense of the renewing spirit of mother nature. The swamp critters were all performing as we quietly road by. We witnessed an otter playing, diving and frolicing in the water - which is a rare sight according to Joy. And the alligators.....if we saw one, we saw 25+ animals. All sizes and all dispositions. The white cranes (Ibis) were flocking in the trees, very beautiful and spellbinding. A highly recommended tour for children and adults. These folks know their stuff. They don't feed the animals, they don't mess with Mother Nature, and they don't try to change the animals behavior for the sake of tourism....they are truly showing their visitors the refugee, how and where these animals reside. I could not have planned a better tour if I tried.

2 Thank MarshFan

Been to Okefenokee Adventures? Share your experiences!