“Big servings”

Moonie's Texas Barbecue
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had the brisket, juicy, however the smoke was a little to strong for me. The baby backs were tender and I put on the hot sauce, just right. I love the paper as plates, made for easy clean up and a fun meal.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Yeehaw! Come and git yer Texas on!
In the past year Flowery Branch has been privileged to have some real Texas style barbeque come to town. What a great place Moonies is! We dine here often and so far have not been disappointed with anything.
Our first visit was because of word of mouth. One friend knew the owner from their church and had had some of Pitmaster J’s food at an event and was excited about the opening of the restaurant. Hmmm, I don’t know, it is new, he might not really know what he is doing. Then a second friend brought up going to lunch there and what an awesome meal he had had. Well, I still don’ t know. I wonder if friend really knows what he is talking about. Well after two more people had said how good it was we finally decided to give it a try. Yes you have figured it out, I am not an early adapter when it comes to restaurants.
The atmosphere is great, the owners have taken what was basically on old garage turned chicken joint/fast food place and made it into a great facility for their ‘que. Little bits of Texas décor here and there but not too much ala Zaxby’s or the like. Booths and tables for large groups with rolls of paper towels and drink cartons holding the in house made sauces and couple of flat screened TVs have been installed as well, so it is a great option for football Saturdays and Sundays. The menu is on a chalkboard above the counter where you place your order and pick a $2 beer (yes, $2 Lonestars my friends) out of the watering trough that now serves as a cooler.
As I previously mentioned the menu is on a chalkboard because it sometimes changes, not the meats mind you but the sides can sometimes be switched up. Moonies serves plates and or baskets, whichever you wish to choose. The basket is a sandwich with a side and a drink, the plate is the meat with two sides. My husband and I usually order a plate and split it. And what is nice about the great staff at Moonies is they will also let us choose two meats because sometimes we don’t always want the same thing. I often go with the in house made jalapeno sausage. It is awesome, not too hot, just a little kick. My husband likes more variety and has been known to order the brisket or the turkey. Both are great. If I am feeling adventurous (and skinny) I’ll order the ribs – mmmmm. (Side note: we brought another friend here who travels often to Kansas City and is somewhat of a rib connoisseur who said they were the best he has ever eaten.) I think that the other part that makes Moonies a standout is the sides. I have not had a bad side here and as a matter of fact I often crave the creamed corn. Only once has it been a little thin but usually it is thick, delicious and creamy with some whole kernels and amazing black pepper. The slaw is great too – not too mayonaise-y – not too sweet – not too sour – just right. The baked beans are also a top pick. It took me a few bites to figure out the secret ingredient but finally I figured out there were small bits of apple in there. It might sound a bit odd but think about it – it works! I also often want the macaroni salad as well and my husband who is usually not a big fan of macaroni salad will agree because Pitmaster J’s is so good. Recently added to the sides menu is Brunswick stew and chili. We have not tried the Brunswick stew yet but hope to soon. The chili is good and I would love to try their Frito ™pie but so far I have not been able to pass up the meats and sides. I could obviously go on and on about the sides at this barbeque joint and the reason they are so good is that the crew at Moonies makes these sides in house, they don’t purchase big tubs at warehouse stores and just plop them in the fridge or microwave. Not only does tender love and care go into smoking the meats the same thought and time goes into creating the sides.
Do I have any complaints about Moonies? Well, I did but that will be remedied as of next week when they will be extending their evening hours including Sundays. One more word of caution about Moonies – the food is so good they sometimes sell out of items – since theirs is a craft not an assembly line food. Just get there early or if they don’t have the item you planned on – try something else – everything is good and you won’t be disappointed!

1  Thank Joy B
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is the finest BBQ by far around. They serve pork, brisket, turkey, sausage, and ribs. The meat is perfectly smoked. Tender, moist, smokey, succulent. These are only a few of the hundred or more words I could use to describe this BBQ perfection. The sides are home made. The slaw is a vinegar and light mayo sauce type. Very good and tangy. The stew, "a new addition" is great. This is real Brunswick stew and not vegetable soup. The stew has lots of meat and has the right smokey twang that good stew has. The potato salad is a traditional southern variation. There are several other sides that I have not tried and I have heard are very good. This is a not to miss BBQ restaurant on your quest for trying all the best.

1  Thank scottdawg
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great food, relaxed atmosphere like a BBQ place should be. Small dining room, so might want to plan ahead. Go a little early or a little late, because it's gonna be busy. Gotta try the brisket with the NC mustard sauce....mmmmm.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This food is delicious. The meat has a great smoky taste and is very tender. The sides are great, especially the potato salad. The food is a little expensive but well worth it. You will not find any better BBQ in the area. There is nothing fancy about the place or the presentation since it is served on paper and the sides in styrofoam containers.

I do agree that the place is smoky inside and will burn your eyes after a few minutes indoors. I would recomend take home which I think is a better value anyway.